Veal sent to AAA to make room for Gavin

southsider2k5

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/..._medium=twitter

White Sox send Veal to Triple-A

The Chicago White Sox optioned left-hander Donnie Veal to Triple-A Charlotte after Sunday’s 6-4 loss to the Detroit Tigers.

Veal, 27, made two scoreless appearances, including one Sunday, and recorded three strikeouts with the White Sox this season.

The White Sox will make a corresponding roster move prior to Monday’s series opener against the Minnesota Twins.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 09:50 AM)
Why not send down Septimo or Ommogrosso, or someone who didn't look really solid like Veal did?

Isn't Omogrosso already down with the activation of Jesse Crain? Or was it Brett Myers?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 09:50 AM)
Why not send down Septimo or Ommogrosso, or someone who didn't look really solid like Veal did?

Ommogrosso already got sent down to make room from Crain. i agree about Septimo though. Seems like Robin is a fan of his I guess.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 09:52 AM)
Ommogrosso already got sent down to make room from Crain. i agree about Septimo though. Seems like Robin is a fan of his I guess.

The organization has a pecking order for its pitchers, and Septimo is at the head of the pack.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 09:02 AM)
The organization has a pecking order for its pitchers, and Septimo is at the head of the pack.

I'm not too upset...despite two bad outings from Leyson, if they really believed that he is going to stick as an MLB reliever it is too soon to give up on him. We can see Veal again by the time Leyson could fail beyond a reasonable doubt.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 10:02 AM)

Do you think that pecking order is based on who the organization projects to be a more successful pitcher? Or are there more financial/political type considerations involved?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
Do you think that pecking order is based on who the organization projects to be a more successful pitcher? Or are there more financial/political type considerations involved?

They COULD and sometimes should, but I don't see much of a motive with Septimo vs Veal deal here. I think they just have an opinion of who is better or could be better and are going to let that play out. They very likely made some sort of promise to Leyson that they wish to keep.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)

Seems unlikely there would be a political difference between Veal and Septimo - both were guys pulled into the org for LH depth from other spots, neither are considered high end prospects.

I think the key difference is, Septimo is really tough on lefties (at least based on his minor league splits), and Veal is probably better overall but has even splits (more or less). So, the Sox feel they need a guy to target LHB, and that means Septimo over Veal.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 10:47 AM)
Not sure this makes much sense. Veal looks a lot better then Septimo the few times I've watched him pitch. Very nice curveball.

I was thinking the same thing....

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 03:39 PM)
Probably just because Veal pitched yesterday so they figured at least Septimo is ready to go tonight if needed.

I would have preferred Veal, but oh well...

The real reason veal is down and septimo still up is that septimo is out of options.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 04:15 PM)
How can Septimo be out of options? He's not made the majors until this season, unless I am missing something.

Also... I think an option "clock" starts on a player on the 40-man roster. But Septimo wasn't in the professional levels until 5 years ago, so I can't imagine he was on anyone's 40 until last year at the earliest. So even in that scenario, he'd have two option years left.