Sox want Grienke "badly"

southsider2k5

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)
I don't think KW will blink so the Brewers have to drop their price.

It is pretty entertaining to read all the speculation on here.

Looking like a back end rotation starter at best.

I'm good with a Blanton-type to take Humber's starts, and hope for Danks to come back for 7-8 starts.

It may work out better than trading for Greinke, short term and long term.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 01:27 PM)
I'm good with a Blanton-type to take Humber's starts, and hope for Danks to come back for 7-8 starts.

I'm just not sure I wouldn't rather just roll with Humber over a guy like Blanton or the like...Humber looked decent in his first start back, and I'm not convinced he can't show us something...I'd like to see one more start out of him before I give away a decent piece for an average arm at best.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 01:16 PM)
correct grienke talks are dead

Seems like all talks involving Grienke have died down. There hasn't been much mentioned all day. Maybe the Brewers are meeting to see what offer they want to go with. I don't think Kennny is giving up that easily.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 02:27 PM)

KW isn't going to trade for a Blanton type. KW is going big or he's going home. He won't make a move just to supplant mediocre with mediocre.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 02:33 PM)
KW isn't going to trade for a Blanton type. KW is going big or he's going home. He won't make a move just to supplant mediocre with mediocre.

Humber is worse than mediocre. He really is.

While I agree Kenny is going to aim high, he'll also get somebody to replace Humber if that's all he can get.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
The competition may have gotten smaller... Per MLBTR

The Braves are telling teams they’re shifting their focus away from the rotation to possible bullpen and bench upgrades, Stark reports.

Looks like Kenny may have the best 50 yard stare. Sending GMs off with their tails between their legs. Lol jk jk

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 07:29 PM)
I'm just not sure I wouldn't rather just roll with Humber over a guy like Blanton or the like...Humber looked decent in his first start back, and I'm not convinced he can't show us something...I'd like to see one more start out of him before I give away a decent piece for an average arm at best.

I agree with you, but the problem is this weekend isn't exactly a good match-up for him to save his job.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)
Why is Greinke considered better than Dempster?

Dempster and his fragile self has never been out of the lowly NL central, furthermore has never been out of the national league. Zach on the other hand has won a Cy Young award in the American League and has a great history against the teams we would have to get through to make the playoffs/WS. And that's not saying the night and day difference in quality of stuff the both possess. Ryan Dempster isn't in the same category as ZG and we all know that. Please stop acting like Grienke is just some ho-hum pitcher.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 01:41 PM)
Why is Greinke considered better than Dempster?

The same reason we should have traded Viciedo and Ramirez at different points in the last 6-8 months.

Just a feeling. Certainly not based on him being a post-season ace or having a track record of pitching in an AL pennant race.

He's a one year wonder who has put up very solid numbers since, but his reputation is more bark than actual bite, sizzle over steak.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 02:51 PM)
Dempster and his fragile self has never been out of the lowly NL central, furthermore has never been out of the national league. Zach on the other hand has won a Cy Young award in the American League and has a great history against the teams we would have to get through to make the playoffs/WS. And that's not saying the night and day difference in quality of stuff the both possess. Ryan Dempster isn't in the same category as ZG and we all know that. Please stop acting like Grienke is just some ho-hum pitcher.

What happened to Greinke in the AL the year after he won the Cy Young? You make it seem like this guy is just automatic. He blew in the playoffs last year as well.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 08:51 PM)

Just like how many have argued this is a career year for Dempster, Greinke's fantastic CY season looks like a career year as well. He's never come close to matching that season. Dempster is incredibly underrated on here if you're looking for a 10 game stretch run from a pitcher.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 02:56 PM)
Just like how many have argued this is a career year for Dempster, Greinke's fantastic CY season looks like a career year as well. He's never come close to matching that season. Dempster is incredibly underrated on here if you're looking for a 10 game stretch run from a pitcher.

That's what I'm thinking and shopping for him is like going to Marshall's while shopping for Greinke is like Sak's.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 02:58 PM)
If the Dodgers keep lowballing the Cubs, you definitely go after Dempster if you're KW.

At least you try, even if there's not a match.

Why do you have to wait. Just make an offer. I'd bet he wouldn't mind staying in town. The only question is do the Cubs really want to help the Sox win? That said, I'd be fine with KW acquiring a lower rung starter, but please not Vargas. He gives up way too many homers. If he made half his starts at USCF, it would be souvenier days in the bleachers.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 02:27 PM)
I was waiting for you to make an appearance, oh wise one...

I'm thinking we pick up DeWayne Wise to be our 5th starter...

That guy sure has been involved in some memorable plays for a career backup

If I'm a big market GM looking to upgrade for a playoff run, I'd rather have Dempster than Greinke (assuming Demp would be willing of course). It is about this year, Dempster is better this year, and he's not a head case.

This all said... if others are leaping off the Greinke ship, maybe KW can slip in and get it done for less than some of the reported packages.

This Greinke s*** is all a KW smokescreen. He's going to land a player like Garza or Shields who will be under team control for 2-3 years - not some 10 start rental he has to bid for that has already stated he hates pitching in the Cell and has a history of being a nutcase.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 03:05 PM)
If I'm a big market GM looking to upgrade for a playoff run, I'd rather have Dempster than Greinke (assuming Demp would be willing of course). It is about this year, Dempster is better this year, and he's not a head case.

This all said... if others are leaping off the Greinke ship, maybe KW can slip in and get it done for less than some of the reported packages.

The requested package is too high in my opinion

Wow that's all I can say. Go look at stats before you just say the guy is eh just okay. Zach Grienke has some of the best stuff in baseball. Period. If you can get a Cy young player during a playoff run you do. And a career year, what a joke, I have posted his stats plenty. Dempster can't dominate a game with his stuff he is a location pitcher. And im sorry I don't want to take a chance on a guy who more than likely would get lit up by the likes of Det, NYY, TX, LAA. And let's not forget Dempsters horrible injury proneness.

I'm sorry I just don't get how people can sit there and logically argue Zach Greinke is not one of the best pitchers in the game today. I guess all the scouts, writers, announcers, real baseball people that are around it day in day out are wrong. My bad ZG is a 28 year old lucky has been with his best years behind him. Forget his 122/28 K/BB average this year.