Buehrle back in four years?

aboz56

Apologize if this has already been posted, but just came across this:

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/...action-baseball

Reinsdorf was asked about adding pitching to his playoff-contending club, specifically bringing back Mark Buehrle, considering Miami's so-called fire sale. Reinsdorf admitted he advised Buehrle to sign with the Marlins.

"The only thing I can tell you is when Mark told me he had a $56-million, four-year contract offer, I told him he should take it," Reinsdorf said. "I really told Mark he had to take it. At this stage of your career, it's more money than you're worth. He said he was going to take it, but he'll back in four years."

QUOTE (aboz56 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 11:02 AM)
Apologize if this has already been posted, but just came across this:

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/...action-baseball

Mark will most likely be back in some sort of capacity, whether it's a roving instructor or special assistant or whatever, he'll be back as a player or as an employee.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 11:05 AM)
While true, he really said that to his face?

Why? Jerry has a history of speaking his mind in private to his players. Supposedly he flat out told Scottie Pippen that he would regret signing the very long term deal that he signed, and then of course regretted.

Jerry talked tough to Mark saying he wasn't worth that kind of money at this stage of his career?

I wonder what Jerry thought of Rios' deal and Dunn's deal last year. Not many players are "worth" the exact dollar figures they get. It's all relative.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 12:36 PM)
Jerry talked tough to Mark saying he wasn't worth that kind of money at this stage of his career?

I wonder what Jerry thought of Rios' deal and Dunn's deal last year. Not many players are "worth" the exact dollar figures they get. It's all relative.

Greg, do us a favor and stop.

Talked tough my ass. He was referring to Mark's age.

Plus, don't you love tough talk?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 07:07 PM)
Greg, do us a favor and stop.

Talked tough my ass. He was referring to Mark's age.

Plus, don't you love tough talk?

No problem. I'll stop. You ask politely, Greg responds in turn.

If Mark is worth taking back in four years, that's be something. I'd also take him back now with a bunch of money.

Also, I'm still bitter that he's gone. I wanted him to be a Sox forever, he was my favorite. I've been trying to pretend he retired....the sportscenter will show me some fat guy wearing a Buehrle Marlins jersey :(

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 12:36 PM)

The Rios and Dunn contracts are fair market value if they perform to their career standards. MB's contract is awful. At Mark's best, he's not worth $19M. Those last 2 years are Soriano bad.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
The Rios and Dunn contracts are fair market value if they perform to their career standards. MB's contract is awful. At Mark's best, he's not worth $19M. Those last 2 years are Soriano bad.

You're absolutely right, and the Marlins owner must know that. Wouldn't you think that he'd be happy to kick some serious money to get out of the bulk of the $48 million that the last 3 years of Mark's contract will cost him?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 12:17 PM)
Also, I'm still bitter that he's gone. I wanted him to be a Sox forever, he was my favorite. I've been trying to pretend he retired....the sportscenter will show me some fat guy wearing a Buehrle Marlins jersey :(

Yeah, it's tough, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Sarah Kustok is leaving CSN as well.

The times they are a-changin'.