I Believe in Beckham

Quin

QUOTE (BDavisFutureHOF @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 08:40 AM)
I too am a believer. Does anyone have his splits this year when hitting in the 2 hole? Seemed like he was putting it together and having much better at bats.

You're going to take bats away from Youkilis for this now popular Beckham's getting screwed by not hitting in the 2 hole theory?

Otherwise, you're going to have to change everyone's position in the batting order, at least Youkilis and Dunn.

Rongey has debunked this idea, and it's one of the few times in my life I've agreed with him.

He's better than any current in-house option. Better than Escobar would be, better than Hudson is at this point in his career.

And yeah, I think at some point Beckham will start to hit a lot better. Seemed like he had it in May and into June, then went funky again.

If he isn't there in a year or two, then you look at some of the guys in the system who can play there that will have matured a bit (Sanchez, DeMichele, M Johnson, Saladino, etc.).

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 12:43 AM)
Gordon is a valuable guy to have on a team as the primary backup infielder. He can play plus defense at three positions and can step in as an experienced starter in case of injury. Plus he's still cheap.

This is probably the most accurate post of the thread. And the Alex Gordon comparisons will probably keep him in the league for some time to come. For some reason I see him eventually being a Brewer or Baltimore Oriole.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 06:43 PM)
Gordon is a valuable guy to have on a team as the primary backup infielder. He can play plus defense at three positions and can step in as an experienced starter in case of injury. Plus he's still cheap.

That's the way to look at it. I guess we would know how valuable or invaluable he is if he went on the DL.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 02:17 PM)
That's the way to look at it. I guess we would know how valuable or invaluable he is if he went on the DL.

I'm not sure where people get that he can play plus defense at three positions. All scouting reports were that, at SS, he'd be average at best, probably not even that. He was pretty darn good at 3B. But 2B is the only position he's shown, so far, to be truly plus defensively.

Those that call for Gordon Beckham's release/trade need to step up and tell the rest iof us who is going to take over at 2B. Don't give me the "we can get by with Oh-Daewg or Escobar" either cause we can't afford going backwards as far as offense. There aren't many real good trade possibilities out there either that I am aware of. You need to replace him with someone of better quality, if you call for his trade. And I mean better as equal to is not acceptable to a winning club. You need to upgrade. Gordon Beckham was rushed to the majors period. He has shown improvementh in his offense and then falls back. My guess is he is his own worse critic. He will bring it around I think because he works hard at it. All reports support he works hard at improving. He is better than average - much better - defensively. Good defense can make up for astruggling bat.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 09:15 PM)
Those that call for Gordon Beckham's release/trade need to step up and tell the rest iof us who is going to take over at 2B. Don't give me the "we can get by with Oh-Daewg or Escobar" either cause we can't afford going backwards as far as offense. There aren't many real good trade possibilities out there either that I am aware of. You need to replace him with someone of better quality, if you call for his trade. And I mean better as equal to is not acceptable to a winning club. You need to upgrade. Gordon Beckham was rushed to the majors period. He has shown improvementh in his offense and then falls back. My guess is he is his own worse critic. He will bring it around I think because he works hard at it. All reports support he works hard at improving. He is better than average - much better - defensively. Good defense can make up for astruggling bat.

I know Hudson has a horrible batting average, but I think we could get by with him at second the rest of the year. Could he suck it up and hit .240 like Gordon? If we could get a good pitcher in a deal for Gordon and two bad prospects, I'd be all for letting Hudson play second. Or Lilly. Wait ... Lilly is gawn.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 05:23 PM)
I know Hudson has a horrible batting average, but I think we could get by with him at second the rest of the year. Could he suck it up and hit .240 like Gordon? If we could get a good pitcher in a deal for Gordon and two bad prospects, I'd be all for letting Hudson play second. Or Lilly. Wait ... Lilly is gawn.

Who is this magical team that will give us value for Beckham? He's almost into arbitration and still sucks. If he was rushed, he's had years, literally, to adjust. Gordon Beckham kinda sucks, it's not a secret.