Sale's velocity way down

joeynach

I noticed this when he got hit hard his last start against the Tigers too, he's not throwing his usual 94-96MPH fastball anymore. Following this game vs. the Rangers on MLB Gameday it shows his Fastball velocity between 89-91MPH, a change up velocity between 84-86MPH, and a slider velocity around 77 MPH. Hes getting hit very hard on the Fastball and change up, the loss in FB velocity is making the change up very easy to hit. Hes been getting outs on the slider. To me the first thing that popped into my mind is either dead arm period or forget the whole 160 Innings thing, we at his IP limit right now.

Fangraphs has his career PitchFX velocity on as follows: vFB 94.4 MPH, vFT 92.7, vSL 80.9, vCH 83.9

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See my posts in the game thread. Mechanics are fine. He is going through a dead-arm period and they'll first try to have him pitch threw it. If he doesn't show improvement in the next start or so, they'll then go to an alternative and sit him for 1-2 weeks. As long as he isn't in pain and so far I haven't seen any change in mechanics (which is a huge plus), then I think this is nothing other then a dead arm.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 08:04 PM)
didn't he just skip a start during the all-star game break.

missed that sunday game in chicago. Threw one inning in KC and then didn't pitch again until Saturday in KC.

Personally, I think the lack of use, gave him a bit of a dead arm as his body is readjusting to the workload. Similar to how pitchers typically go through a dead-arm period early in spring when they start to push themselves again.

I hope its a dead arm. There were times on certain pitches where he seemed to be in some pain and kind of held his arm right next to his body. It actually reminded me of when I had a sublexation in my neck and the nerve was pinched shooting pain down my entire shoulder. I held my elbow right into my ribs.Not every pitch, but most where he was throwing harder.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 04:44 AM)
I hope its a dead arm. There were times on certain pitches where he seemed to be in some pain and kind of held his arm right next to his body. It actually reminded me of when I had a sublexation in my neck and the nerve was pinched shooting pain down my entire shoulder. I held my elbow right into my ribs.Not every pitch, but most where he was throwing harder.

That's scary. If he did feel pain, I'd suspect we'll be hearing soon about a shutdown of Sale. I believe you when you said you saw what you saw. This is scary news.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 10:44 PM)

I didn't see that at all and I'm sure if he was in any pain whatsoever he would have been pulled right away.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)
I don't think the velocity drop is due to a physical problem.

I think it's intentional to help him last longer into the season.

I have a feeling you're right. I remember his last start at home before the break against Texas, he got the big lead and was just sitting between 89-91 mph. 7th inning Josh Hamilton came up and he was at 93-95 mph for that AB.

The Sox wouldn't put him out there if he was hurting. As long as he's being honest with them . . .

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:01 AM)
I mentioned back in June that this has been the plan all along. Expect some ten day off stretches

This is why they need to add another starting pitcher to the mix. I'm concerned that his velocity is down - it may not be an injury, but he's tired, and a tired arm could lead to bad habits, etc.

I don't think Danks is even part of the conversation as that addition to the rotation, but when you think about Quintana not having this many innings under him, and general concern about Peavy's durability, there's got be another veteran arm added to the mix.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:35 AM)
This is why they need to add another starting pitcher to the mix. I'm concerned that his velocity is down - it may not be an injury, but he's tired, and a tired arm could lead to bad habits, etc.

I don't think Danks is even part of the conversation as that addition to the rotation, but when you think about Quintana not having this many innings under him, and general concern about Peavy's durability, there's got be another veteran arm added to the mix.

The Danks' situation is growing more concerning by the day. He's rested almost 2 months and he can't throw 30 pitches and not feel awful the next day. I had him penciled in for late August. This last bit of news yesterday made me erase that and pencil him in for perhaps spring training. I think there is something wrong that they haven't been able to see.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:35 AM)

we're already probably giving away the game with humber today then skip sale on wed? we face diamond so that would be giving away another game. the race is too close to be doing this, definitely need another starter

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:39 AM)
we're already probably giving away the game with humber today then skip sale on wed? we face diamond so that would be giving away another game. the race is too close to be doing this, definitely need another starter

I don't think there's any question they need another starter.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)
I don't think the velocity drop is due to a physical problem.

I think it's intentional to help him last longer into the season.

It could be intentional but I don't think so due to he was getting tatooed around in the first inning yesterday. Young guys holding back, getting hit hard, tend to throw a 95 MPH fastball or two to get out of trouble if they have it available.

There were more than a few who think its a dead arm, and that, hopefully, is all it is.

I still think it was a combination of Chris being tired and good use of a designed gameplan for Chris to take a little off his stuff last night. Rangers are a GREAT fastball hitting team, much like our Sox. What kind of pitchers absolutely kill the Sox? Soft tossing lefties. Chris had trouble finding his spots early last night but after the first couple innings he really settled in well.