Top 20 Prospect List

oldsox

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 07:11 AM)
Yeah I saw that too, and its kinda bizarre. Molina #1? Marinez #8? Semien #9? Wilkins 12? Blanke 13? And how do Silverio and Short even make the list - Short hasn't even played this year and he was marginal last year is it was.

If all 30 #1's were listed and ranked, where do you think Molina would be?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 08:19 AM)
If all 30 #1's were listed and ranked, where do you think Molina would be?

LOL, I think we all know the answer to that question. But the thing is, there is no way he is the #1 prospect in the system by anyone's actual standards. He's listed #1 there because its the Sox site, and they want to make it look like they didn't mess up with that trade. Molina is lower half of top 10 right now, if even that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 08:22 AM)
LOL, I think we all know the answer to that question. But the thing is, there is no way he is the #1 prospect in the system by anyone's actual standards. He's listed #1 there because its the Sox site, and they want to make it look like they didn't mess up with that trade. Molina is lower half of top 10 right now, if even that.

In my opinion, Courtney Hawkins is the #1 prospect in the system and if people have Trayce Thompson at #2 at this point, it is not a reach.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
In my opinion, Courtney Hawkins is the #1 prospect in the system and if people have Trayce Thompson at #2 at this point, it is not a reach.

This is soooooo depressing. The Sox system seems to be getting worse.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 07:10 PM)
This is soooooo depressing. The Sox system seems to be getting worse.

Hardly, we actually have some prospects that if they hit their ceilings can be very good players, they just happen to be at the lower levels currently for the most part.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 08:21 PM)
Hardly, we actually have some prospects that if they hit their ceilings can be very good players, they just happen to be at the lower levels currently for the most part.

And we keep getting actual solid production out of the guys who are called up, which iss the real important thing anyway.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 09:46 PM)
Outside of Quintana, I think this is overstated.

IMHO, the sum of all the callups are greater than each of the parts.

Given all of the circumstances that the rookies and first-full-year players have contributed, without them the Sox may just be under .500.

How can Reed being 18/21 in SVO be overstated?

Escobar and Hernandez turn into Liriano? Lillibridge and Stewart into Youkilis? More pieces into Myers?

Suffice it to say, if we didn't have Jones, Reed and Quintana, we would have been screwed completely.

Even Danks has done decently in a complementary role. Flowers, while not a rookie, is progressing nicely.

All of those guys in our bullpen saved money we would have had to spend on the likes of Jason Frasor and another veteran....they also forced the Sox to turn their roster over from Ohman to more talented pitchers with better stuff.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 10:35 PM)
How can Reed being 18/21 in SVO be overstated?

Escobar and Hernandez turn into Liriano? Lillibridge and Stewart into Youkilis? More pieces into Myers?

Suffice it to say, if we didn't have Jones, Reed and Quintana, we would have been screwed completely.

Even Danks has done decently in a complementary role. Flowers, while not a rookie, is progressing nicely.

All of those guys in our bullpen saved money we would have had to spend on the likes of Jason Frasor and another veteran....they also forced the Sox to turn their roster over from Ohman to more talented pitchers with better stuff.

This might be your best post ever. You stayed on topic, no weird tangents and it actually made sense. What's wrong with you? :lol:

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 09:19 PM)
This might be your best post ever. You stayed on topic, no weird tangents and it actually made sense. What's wrong with you? :lol:

And he didn't even talk about Viciedo (who, while not a rookie per say, really is a rookie in the sense that this is his first year as the starter).

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 09:05 PM)
After going through this I looked up Keenyn Walker's stats and holy s***. Why isn't this guy getting more notice? .291/.401/.414 line this year with 47 SB so far.

I am intrigued by Walker as well but I understand the reasons why some prospect people are not. He does still have strikeout issues just like Mitchell and Thompson. Walker did a lot of it in A ball and he was old for that level. I am curious to see how he does finishing the year in Birmingham. He will be in an OF corner though because Thompson needs to stay in CF to enhance his value. Trayce has big time strikeout issues but if he can be a run producer that can play above average defense in CF rather than a corner, it obviously makes him a much better prospect.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 11:44 PM)
I am intrigued by Walker as well but I understand the reasons why some prospect people are not. He does still have strikeout issues just like Mitchell and Thompson. Walker did a lot of it in A ball and he was old for that level. I am curious to see how he does finishing the year in Birmingham. He will be in an OF corner though because Thompson needs to stay in CF to enhance his value. Trayce has big time strikeout issues but if he can be a run producer that can play above average defense in CF rather than a corner, it obviously makes him a much better prospect.

Thompson and Walker are in Winston Salem together. I said Birmingham by mistake.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 12:44 AM)

Let's also remember that Walker was another fairly raw, 2-sport guy, so some strikeout troubles aren't exactly surprising. He's a guy we need to be patient with at these higher levels and he might be the one to work through them.