Dave Cameron on Kenny Williams' style

Eminor3rd

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 09:12 PM)
He damn well better be resourceful. Chris Getz is the second best hitter that he's drafted since 2001, and most of the posters on this board have better plate discipline than Alexei Ramirez or Dayan Viciedo.

Nope, Chris Carter is 2nd.

Iguchi, Youkilis, DeAza all had/have good to great plate discipline.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 10:16 PM)
I could read your sig all day, everyday for the rest of my life. Jesus was Frank great. One of the great team sports athletes ever.

Agreed. The best right handed hitter since he came into the league.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 09:23 PM)
Nope, Chris Carter is 2nd.

Iguchi, Youkilis, DeAza all had/have good to great plate discipline.

I love how you have jumped all over him based on 180 career ABs. I bet you were a big fan of Chris Shelton too. Sorry, "Babe" Shelton.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 09:12 PM)
He damn well better be resourceful. Chris Getz is the second best hitter that he's drafted since 2001, and most of the posters on this board have better plate discipline than Alexei Ramirez or Dayan Viciedo.

I guess it depends upon whether you're actually talking about hitting or value from an offensive player. If we're talking strictly hitting and using OPS as the base guideline, the best hitter he's drafted since 2001 (if we're including 2001) is Chris Young with a career OPS of .756. Then you have others of note, including Josh Fields, Ryan Sweeney, Jeremy Reed, and Gordon Beckham.

Merely an argument of semantics. The Sox have not drafted nor developed hitters very well for a long time.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 09:20 PM)
I love how you have jumped all over him based on 180 career ABs. I bet you were a big fan of Chris Shelton too. Sorry, "Babe" Shelton.

True, he could be another Kevin Maas or Shane Spencer.

But he's an impact bat at the major league level in a way that Chris Getz, Jeremy Reed and Ryan Sweeney will never be.

Gordon's really only had stretches of good play, the best being his rookie year. When someone's hitting in the .220's or .230's for their entire career in USCF, there's something wrong.

Josh Fields would be perhaps a better comparison to Carter if Chris continues this through the remainder of the season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 05:46 AM)
True, he could be another Kevin Maas or Shane Spencer.

But he's an impact bat at the major league level in a way that Chris Getz, Jeremy Reed and Ryan Sweeney will never be.

Gordon's really only had stretches of good play, the best being his rookie year. When someone's hitting in the .220's or .230's for their entire career in USCF, there's something wrong.

Josh Fields would be perhaps a better comparison to Carter if Chris continues this through the remainder of the season.

again, 180 ABs, and only 69 this season. In his first two shots at the bigs he hit .186 and .136, so lets hold off on declaring him the second best at anything just because he managed to have a nice 3rd attempt at the big league club.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 04:55 AM)
I guess it depends upon whether you're actually talking about hitting or value from an offensive player. If we're talking strictly hitting and using OPS as the base guideline, the best hitter he's drafted since 2001 (if we're including 2001) is Chris Young with a career OPS of .756. Then you have others of note, including Josh Fields, Ryan Sweeney, Jeremy Reed, and Gordon Beckham.

Merely an argument of semantics. The Sox have not drafted nor developed hitters very well for a long time.

There's a lot of comedic value in saying that Chris Getz is the second best hitter that we've drafted since 2001. It might not be entirely accurate, but I'll go with it anyway.

I thought that caulfield was only kidding about Chris Carter.

I'm halfway serious.

To say Chris Getz is anything close to a good major league ballplayer or a starter on anything but a last place team is pushing it.

He's never been anything resembling "above decent" his entire career, so this is probably an aberration partly fed partially by favorable pitching match-ups. Sweeney is the OF equivalent of Getz, albeit with much more all-around skills and a prettier looking swing and better arm.

Let's see, Miguel Olivo would have to rank up there, too. This season has been terrible, but he was pretty good recently, enough to get a nice contract.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 10:55 PM)

The Sox have also invested heavily in pitching in the past, which is probably the biggest reason for failing to develop major league hitters. That has changed in recent years, with Beckham, Morel, Mitchell, Phegley, Thompson, Walker, Hawkins, Barnum, & DeMichelle all 1st to 3rd round picks since 2008.

And, all things considered, it's better to draft young pitching and throw a lot of darts at that wall in hopes of hitting on a few.

The exception is C, SS/2B and CF that are harder positions to fill externally, and typically tend to be costly for elite players in FA.

We've been pretty "lucky" with AJ, DeAza and Alexei, which has covered for some of our development issues. Beckham, we all know that story, same with Morel.

The one area we really targeted recently was "elite" power, and we have Thompson, Hawkins and Barnum now that all have the POTENTIAL ability to hit 30-45 homers.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 05:13 PM)
To say Chris Getz is anything close to a good major league ballplayer or a starter on anything but a last place team is pushing it.

Agreed. That was my point.

But I hope that Kenny hits on a few of his recent draft picks. I'm sick of being disgusted with our offensive prospects. It really takes away from my baseball experience.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 01:59 PM)
Agreed. That was my point.

But I hope that Kenny hits on a few of his recent draft picks. I'm sick of being disgusted with our offensive prospects. It really takes away from my baseball experience.

So when we had Magglio, C-Lee, Rowand, Crede, Durham, Konerko....all coming up together, basically....baseball was more enjoyable then?

To me, it doesn't really matter. I guess if you grew up with the minor leaguers and they came up together as a wave...maybe it would be more to get attached to and follow them, but would you trade places with Royals fans and be enjoying their last place position?

Probably not. Royals fans have A LOT more to complain about than Sox fans these days.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 02:02 PM)
So when we had Magglio, C-Lee, Rowand, Crede, Durham, Konerko....all coming up together, basically....baseball was more enjoyable then?

To me, it doesn't really matter. I guess if you grew up with the minor leaguers and they came up together as a wave...maybe it would be more to get attached to and follow them, but would you trade places with Royals fans and be enjoying their last place position?

Probably not. Royals fans have A LOT more to complain about than Sox fans these days.

Personally I am enjoying the winning part more than worrying about 2014 or 2015. I'll leave that to Cubs fans.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 07:52 PM)
The guy who was afraid to trade prospects when it could have put his teams over the top?

The Sox were legitimate world series contenders at various points during his reign, and he had his fingerprints on the '05 title via Konerko, Buehrle, Garland, Crede, Rowand, etc.

And besides, if I drafted like Schueler, I'd probably be afraid to trade prospects as well. Now, in Kenny's case, you could see why he wouldn't have much fear.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)
The guy who was afraid to trade prospects when it could have put his teams over the top?

You mean like trading for veterans Raines, Sax, Belcher, and George Bell to name a few.

I think Schu was a pretty solid GM. If anything it was his theory on pickinng.g up washed up vets to be our 5th starter and produce a 6 ERA year in and year out that was frustrating.

Bob

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 02:56 PM)
Unfortunately, we only have 1993, 94 (not really) and 2000 to show for all that talent.

And we never advanced past the division series.

1993 and 1994 still aggravate me. 1994 for obvious reasons. But 1993 was more due to Lamont then anything else. Why start McDowell against the Blue Jays when he had such a poor showing against them through the whole year. Sure he won 20 games, but sometimes teams have your number. And considering how the rest of the starters were pitching that year, I think most knowledgable fans woudn't complain about having McDowell start against a team potentially 3 times when they hit him hard all year.

Bob

QUOTE (OilCan @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 07:09 PM)
Jim Thome?

He didnt buy high on Thome. The Phillies paid the Sox a nice little chunk of the contract and took Rowand, Haigwood and Gio. And thought so little of Gio that that gave him back for sweaty freddy with Floyd

QUOTE (gosox41 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 10:42 PM)
You mean like trading for veterans Raines, Sax, Belcher, and George Bell to name a few.

I think Schu was a pretty solid GM. If anything it was his theory on pickinng.g up washed up vets to be our 5th starter and produce a 6 ERA year in and year out that was frustrating.

Bob

Ew, some really bad moves in that bunch. Kenny has never had a Sosa for Bell moment.