CBS SPORTS

LDF

RHP Billy Koch, who was acquired on Dec. 3 in a six-player deal, could be signing a long-term deal with the White Sox before the start of spring training. Koch is arbitration eligible for the next three seasons, and GM Ken Williams said that the two sides would explore a multiyear deal. "I'd like to work something out, but if not, we'll go year to year," Williams said. "We have the makings of a special group of players here."

--LHP Mark Buehrle is still seeking a multiyear contract offer from the Sox but could not comment on ongoing talks. The Sox have already avoided arbitration with 1B Paul Konerko and LHP Kelly Wunsch, and, although Buehrle is not arbitration eligible until after the 2003 season, the two sides have both said they would like to get a deal done.

--LHP Damaso Marte and RHP Antonio Osuna will still be used to close games in 2003, but not to the extent of what they did last season. While RHP Billy Koch is expected to get the majority of the team's save opportunities, Manuel said Marte and Osuna will be called upon to close out some games, as they did last year when RHP Keith Foulke struggled and lost his closer's role.

--CF Aaron Rowand began rehabbing from a Nov. 1 dirt bike accident and is on schedule for the start of spring training. Rowand had to have a screw placed in his left shoulder after going over a 25-foot drop.

--C Miguel Olivo won't be handed the starting catchers job in spring training, but he enters camp as the leading contender. C Mark Johnson was also sent to Oakland in the Foulke-Koch deal, clearing the way for the talented but young Olivo. Williams said Josh Paul will also get a look, and a veteran catcher may be brought in just in case Olivo falls on his face.

First off let me say this, if Manuel does any bullpen by committe crap, then KW should fire him on the spot. Koch is our guy, just like Foulke should of been last year.

I like Osuna, Marte, and Glover a ton, but they are set up men, nuff said.

As far as the Sox go, they will lock Buerhle and Koch up by spring training. I also wouldn't be shocked to see them work something out with someone like Garland during the season.

On a sidenote, I think it was a good thing that Buerhle didn't comment on the extension, to me that means talks have started.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

On a sidenote, I think it was a good thing that Buerhle didn't comment on the extension, to me that means talks have started.

that would've started a war that mb could not win. unless he wanted to be traded

Ya it would of. I think the Sox will really make him happy signing him a year early. He'll end up making more, but having your ace happy is more then worth it, especially when they give you a discount later on.

And if Buerhle keeps pitching the way he does, he will end up making a ton if they go to arbitration.

just because manuel says Marte and Osuna will get chances to close doesn't mean Koch will not be our closer. it simply means on occasion they will close, just like any other team.

if Koch goes 4 game straight and throws a combined 6 innigns and the Sox have one run lead on day 5, you damn right Marte or Osuna are gonna be called upon.

Manuel didn't say anything new, just facts.

I agree with you jas 100%. manuel has said a TON of things and has never lived up to them, but the whole Osuna and Marte will get opportunities is already known and was known. not like he said anything suprising there.

Originally posted by Molto

I agree with you jas 100%.  manuel has said a TON of things and has never lived up to them, but the whole Osuna and Marte will get opportunities is already known and was known.  not like he said anything suprising there.

Like this past year when he stated that Royce would be benched...3 games later, Royce was our starting shortstop again.