Peavy's future here

thedoctor

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 05:19 PM)
I'd go 2/$22...take it or leave it, Jakemeister.

No offense, but is everyone here oblivious to pitching prices. Have you seen what guys like Oliver Perez, Carlos Silva, & Kyle Lohse have got in free agency?

Peavy will probably be looking for what John Lackey got a few years ago (roughly $16 mil/yr), but obviously for less seasons. Honestly, if you're going to offer him Edwin Jackson money, then you might as well not make the offer.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why we even think the Sox have a chance at re-signing him. Two years? Dream on. If he is healthy the day our season ends, he is going to get 4-5 years from somebody at 15-20 million a year. Isn't that obvious? If the Sox do want this guy, they should just take him one year for the 18 million. Obviously he's not worth that.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 04:55 PM)
I don't see why we even think the Sox have a chance at re-signing him. Two years? Dream on. If he is healthy the day our season ends, he is going to get 4-5 years from somebody at 15-20 million a year. Isn't that obvious? If the Sox do want this guy, they should just take him one year for the 18 million. Obviously he's not worth that.

Well, we can't say he's not worth $18 million, because he might be our #1 starter (along with Liriano) for the remainder of the season.

21/22 Quality starts/Total Starts....you can't argue with that.

He's slipped a bit from the first 2-3 months, but that's simply because of the weather changing and the ball carrying more...long fly outs are now homers.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 12:03 AM)
Well, we can't say he's not worth $18 million, because he might be our #1 starter (along with Liriano) for the remainder of the season.

He's slipped a bit from the first 2-3 months, but that's simply because of the weather changing and the ball carrying more...long fly outs are now homers.

I'd say if the Sox think he can be a No. 1 or 2 next season again then it'd be better to just give him the 18 million because like I said, thinking the Sox can sign him for 2-3 years at 12 million a year is insane. You agree he'll get 4-5 from the Angels or Yanks or Dodgers or somebody at 15-20 mill a year, right?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
Because that's a 25% discount over his performance this year, but its right in line with what he's been worth for 2008-on .

Which is what you were comparing the potential offer to when you said it was only slightly team friendly.

Doesn't even matter, elite players are going to get paid a lot more than their actual value. $12 million per season is a lot less then he'll get in free agency. He is not going to take that significant of a discount to play for us.

Also, here's the other thing I don't get. KW traded for Peavy knowing he'd make $17 million in 2012. He's finally living up to that price tag and people think KW wouldn't want to bring him back for an additional year at $1 million more. People need to stop thinking about the $4 milion associated with the buyout, because it's a sunk cost and it doesn't affect the Peavy decision anymore than any other roster decision.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 05:55 PM)

Greg, thank god you are here to be the voice of reason.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 04:13 PM)
Greg, thank god you are here to be the voice of reason.

"'Things you thought you'd never hear', for $2000 Alex."

That said, I agree. Greg is right. N way he signs for $12m/yr.

Edited by TitoMB

We are certainly riding him like he's not going to be around next year. What is he averaging, 110 pitches per start? Take that FWIW. Depends on how it goes with Danks' arm and how we end up postseason wise but I think you could do worse than him on a 1y deal at 18m. At worse he'd fetch something decent back in a deadline trade.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 04:53 PM)
No offense, but is everyone here oblivious to pitching prices. Have you seen what guys like Oliver Perez, Carlos Silva, & Kyle Lohse have got in free agency?

Peavy will probably be looking for what John Lackey got a few years ago (roughly $16 mil/yr), but obviously for less seasons. Honestly, if you're going to offer him Edwin Jackson money, then you might as well not make the offer.

Yeah, I understand that. But at the end of this year, we will have paid him over $50 million for roughly 70 starts, which pencils out to about $715k per start. He's been more than well-compensated for his time here.

I know he didn't ask to come here, and I know we didn't negotiate this contract, and I know he has worked his ass off to come back from the injuries and he works his ass off every start, but by just about every measure imaginable, he's been paid extraordinarily well.

In my opinion, we can't afford to take the same kind of risk on him that we did when we traded for him in '09. He has gone through hell and back, has put immense strain on his body, and I'm not sure anyone can predict with any degree of reasonable certainty what he has left in the tank and what kind of performance you are going to get out of him over the course of the next several years.

So if someone else wants to take a $70 million gamble on him, so be it. If someone wants to take a $50 million gamble on him, so be it. I just don't think it should be us.

I'd make him an offer which reflects our gratitude for what he has gone through, and by all means, allows him to continue to make an absolutely incredible living, and if he chooses to sign here for reasons other than money, fabulous. If he chooses to follow the money, due to pressure from the union, or a desire to play for another team, or just because he wants to receive what he feels he deserves, then so be it.

It's not about being ridiculous, and it's not about trying to insult anyone. It's about being sensible about the future of the White Sox.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 06:03 PM)

u posted this in the game thread yesterday. where are u getting that number from? hes had 3 starts where hes givin up 5+ runs

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 08:17 PM)
u posted this in the game thread yesterday. where are u getting that number from? hes had 3 starts where hes givin up 5+ runs

LOL, not only that but he has only started 21 games this year, not 22. From my count he is 16/21 in QS

Personally, if the Sox offer Jake a reasonable deal (3/40 plus his 4M buyout) and he walks for more money, I'm going to have a tough time still rooting for him. This season is his first real contribution to this team.....he's made a ton of money the last couple years to rehab. To take the money and run, well, it would piss me off. That may be completely unfair but, as a Sox fan, that's the way I'll feel.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 05:11 PM)
Peavy is going to cost $4M if we let him walk. That is locked in and will be on the books. Period. So, if we pick up the option the effective cost is $14M. Now, who can we sign for 1 year at $14M that will be better than Jake Peavy? Probably nobody. Also, you are giving up potential mid-season trade bait is we suck next year, or a draft pick if he says all year. I'd say to pick the option up.

^^^

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 03:04 AM)
Personally, if the Sox offer Jake a reasonable deal (3/40 plus his 4M buyout) and he walks for more money, I'm going to have a tough time still rooting for him. This season is his first real contribution to this team.....he's made a ton of money the last couple years to rehab. To take the money and run, well, it would piss me off. That may be completely unfair but, as a Sox fan, that's the way I'll feel.

I just can't see him signing for less than four years if he's healthy at season's end. I'd say three years 17 million a year would be an offer he'd laugh at in this market.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 12:12 AM)
I just can't see him signing for less than four years if he's healthy at season's end. I'd say three years 17 million a year would be an offer he'd laugh at in this market.

I think someone will probably offer him something stupid, but you don't think his injury history and his diminished stuff (regardless of how well he has pitched this year, he is certainly not the pitcher he was 5 years ago) should impact his market?

I would be very nervous about signing him if he was coming from another team for the kind of money you're talking about.