Drew Peterson Trial

clyons

I think this guy is almost certainly responsible for the death of two people. I also hope he walks. No, that won't serve "justice" in the pure sense of the word, but there are many, many issues with this Savio prosecution that should give folks who value justice pause, including two huge tactical "mistakes" by the prosecution in the first two days.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/b...0,1805576.story

To me, this guy is to criminal law what Larry Flynt was to the First Amendment; if the law will protect scumbags like them, it will protect all of us as well.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 08:53 AM)
I think this guy is almost certainly responsible for the death of two people. I also hope he walks. No, that won't serve "justice" in the pure sense of the word, but there are many, many issues with this Savio prosecution that should give folks who value justice pause, including two huge tactical "mistakes" by the prosecution in the first two days.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/b...0,1805576.story

To me, this guy is to criminal law what Larry Flynt was to the First Amendment; if the law will protect scumbags like them, it will protect all of us as well.

Why don't you go ahead and explain that all to the family members of his last 2 wives.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
Why don't you go ahead and explain that all to the family members of his last 2 wives.

If he did it, you mean.

Nothing like giving him the fair trial we promise. Not to say I believe he's innocent, either...but this is just another case of guilty until proven...guilty?

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)

I could never pretend to do that. I doubt anyone could.

However, there are a couple trite legal maxims that apply to this case; One is "hard cases make bad law;" the other is "in our system it is better that 10 guilty men go free than 1 innocent man be wrongfully convicted."

He is undoubtedly a guilty man, but there are many things about this prosecution that can open the door to putting away those whose who are not. I don't mean this to sound cold, but those issues are bigger and have long-lasting implications beyond the feelings and emotins of the family members.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
If he did it, you mean.

Nothing like giving him the fair trial we promise. Not to say I believe he's innocent, either...but this is just another case of guilty until proven...guilty?

I don't think there is any doubt he did it, regardless of the outcome of trial. But, whether he is found guilty or not I can't say. Also on another point usually the "innocent" people that go to jail for crimes they didn't commit are career criminals in the first place and put themselves in a position to be a suspect. Not that it is ok for anyone to serve time for a crime they didn't do, but if you live a law abiding life you aren't going to be put in that situation 99.99999999% of the time.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 09:15 AM)
I don't think there is any doubt he did it, regardless of the outcome of trial. But, whether he is found guilty or not I can't say. Also on another point usually the "innocent" people that go to jail for crimes they didn't commit are career criminals in the first place and put themselves in a position to be a suspect. Not that it is ok for anyone to serve time for a crime they didn't do, but if you live a law abiding life you aren't going to be put in that situation 99.99999999% of the time.

I agree.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 10:15 AM)

Way too many 9's, at least for this country.

The "Innocence project" alone has in the past few years freed enough people that you can't go past 99.9999%, (292/310 million). And that's 1 group, looking only at felony convictionss.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 09:24 AM)

The "Innocence project" alone has in the past few years freed enough people that you can't go past 99.9999%, (292/310 million). And that's 1 group, looking only at felony convictionss.

I don't think his point was to be exact.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 09:24 AM)

Ok, I was exagerating a bit obviously but did you ignore the first part... usually there is a reason these people are suspects in the first place.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 11:11 AM)
Ok, I was exagerating a bit obviously but did you ignore the first part... usually there is a reason these people are suspects in the first place.

Walking while black, speaking Spanish . . .

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 11:15 AM)
Walking while black, speaking Spanish . . .

Plenty of black people and Spanish speakers that never have problems with the law. Now maybe there is a racist cop/sheriff that harasses them but we are talking about prison not jail.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 11:19 AM)
Plenty of black people and Spanish speakers that never have problems with the law. Now maybe there is a racist cop/sheriff that harasses them but we are talking about prison not jail.

I agree. I was pointing out that innocent people may find themselves being investigated, the reasons may. or may not, be legitimate. When we allow cops and prosecutors to act as if they always know the person who did it, and to act accordingly, we are getting ourselves in a bad situation.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 06:50 PM)
I agree. I was pointing out that innocent people may find themselves being investigated, the reasons may. or may not, be legitimate. When we allow cops and prosecutors to act as if they always know the person who did it, and to act accordingly, we are getting ourselves in a bad situation.

Right, I was just trying to make the point that most of the innocent people that end up in prison wouldn't be your everyday person. They very likely have a criminal record in the past which was part of the reason they became a suspect or were involved with some real shady stuff.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 10:20 PM)
Right, I was just trying to make the point that most of the innocent people that end up in prison wouldn't be your everyday person. They very likely have a criminal record in the past which was part of the reason they became a suspect or were involved with some real shady stuff.

:cheers I agree.

BTW, can someone give me a short summary of this case, I just don't hear much about it.

• 4 weeks later...