Vacation/Travel Thread.

justBLAZE

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 03:52 PM)
Has anyone been to Disneyland Paris? We're goign there for two days next march and I'd love any advice you could provide. We plan on flying into London, train to DLP, a few days there, then a train into Pisa to visit my sister and her husband.

Never been to Disneyland, but been to Paris a few times. It's been a while, though, but if you want to ask anything fire away. Having said that, my replies will probably be worse than useless. :(

QUOTE (NIUSox @ Feb 22, 2013 -> 12:28 AM)
Next week I'm going to Hilton Head Island for a long weekend. Anyone ever been there?

Yes for my brothers wedding. Also went to seabrook a couple years ago. It's awesome. Head into Charleston and go to SNOB.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 09:50 AM)
Yes. It's an incredible experience. Beijing is an incredible city, huge and vibrant with life. You get a far better feel for everyday Chinese life there than you do in Shanghai (think Chicago vs LA/NYC). There are about a million different things you can do too. We were there for 5 days.

We made it to Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City (literally in the Tiananmen area), the Temple of Heaven (kind of a cool, open area), the Olympics site (aka Bird's Nest), the Beijing Zoo, Gulou and Zhonglou (the Drum and Bell Towers of Beijing), and the Great Wall.

The Great Wall is a necessity; the Forbidden City was cool but seemingly, after the first few areas you see, there really isn't much else that is going to amaze or shock you (but still awesome to consider you are walking within an incredibly historical place; Temple of Heaven had some great scenery and was a really nice, open area to just take in some fresh air; the Olympics site was cool because it was the site of the Olympics; the zoo was really an eye-opening experience in comparing the way animals are handled and cared for between America and China (China is a little less humane, unless it's pandas...and pandas suck); as I recall, Gulou and Zhonglou was one of my favorite areas within the city because the towers themselves are really cool (they served as signals for the city) and I seem to remember there being a little bayside area there with a lot of small little shops and restaurants to eat and drink at which was a blast to just walk around. We actually had to cut that one short because it started raining, but I could have stayed in that area all night.

Oh yeah, we went to the Pearl Market too (and I seem to recall something else nearby there) where you can buy legit knockoff goods. I think we also went to Beihai Park too. If you are planning on going out, The Mix is legit and was recently featured in CNN Photos (#5). Otherwise, just make sure and/or request that your beer is served chilled, because they will give it to you warm otherwise.

Oh, and with 99% of anything, haggle. Unless you are in a corporate chain, a restaurant, or a bar, the price is not set. I think the only thing I didn't haggle down was a pack of cigarettes. And start really, really low. They want you to buy, just don't pay too much. I got a decent suitcase for 100 RMB (~$15.65) plus any number of other really cool things for really decent reasonable prices. Everything is dirt, dirt cheap over there, so you really don't want to spend much at all.

If you have any other questions, I can answer them the best I can. I absolutely loved China and want to go back again some day.

---

Going to Miami in 2 weeks and then on a cruise from March 9-16. March 6th can't get here soon enough.

Thanks a lot for all of this info. I know we were gonna check out the great wall, Tiananmen Square and the pearl market for sure but a lot of the other stuff you listed sounds great.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Feb 22, 2013 -> 10:33 PM)
That would be cool, do you have tickets for the game already or do you think we can easily buy them the day of?

I don't have them yet but I plan on buying them at some point this week. I just basically have to get final answers out of my friends before I buy because if they do want to come then I need to make sure I have the right amount of tickets paid for. It's like $45 even for nosebleeds, but, atleast for me, I only get so many chances to see a player of LeBron's caliber in any sport so it's absolutely worth it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 09:12 AM)
I don't have them yet but I plan on buying them at some point this week. I just basically have to get final answers out of my friends before I buy because if they do want to come then I need to make sure I have the right amount of tickets paid for. It's like $45 even for nosebleeds, but, atleast for me, I only get so many chances to see a player of LeBron's caliber in any sport so it's absolutely worth it.

Sounds good wite, I will most likely see you there.

In an effort not to spam this thread any longer, I will PM you my number and we can get in touch once both in Miami. Safe travels.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 01:53 PM)
Leaving for the airport to head to China in about 2 hours. Im glad the weather decided to cooperate.

Hope you have something to kill time. It's a lot of time in airports and planes, and the flight from San Fran/LAX/wherever to Tokyo is about 11 hours. Makes the 4 hour flight from Tokyo to Beijing seem like a cakewalk :)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 01:56 PM)
Hope you have something to kill time. It's a lot of time in airports and planes, and the flight from San Fran/LAX/wherever to Tokyo is about 11 hours. Makes the 4 hour flight from Tokyo to Beijing seem like a cakewalk :)

Ya its a 13 hour straight shot from Chicago. My mom just retired from American Airlines after 40 years so we will probably get bumped up to business class so it shouldnt be too bad.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK, who has some insight into Nassau, never been before. Going in a couple of months...

Day trips, bars, restaurants, etc. are all welcome. I like to focus more on the Local places to go, of course I'll check out Atlantis one day but I am mostly looking for the unknown.

Edited by Chi Town Sox

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My wife and I and our 14 month old son are road-tripping it to the east coast in a couple weeks. The wife wants to rent a house outside of Charleston on Kiawah Island and just do day trips in South Carolina. I would prefer to start in Virginia and work our way down to Savannah while hitting up a bunch of historical sites/awesome seafood places. Anyone do an east coast/carolinas beach trip recently? Any suggestions on where to go/what to do? Other than eating good food, my only other plan is to play a few rounds of golf, which I can already tell will be easy to find.

Also, this will be our first long road trip with my son. We're usually driving to/from wisconsin or michigan or iowa on the weekends, so he's accustomed to the 2.5-3.5 hour trip and GENERALLY does ok. But i'm really wondering how he's going to do with 6-7 hours, or worse if we decide to try and get it all done in one day (13 hours, but probably 14 or more with stops). I bought a headrest mount for my tablet and plan to load it up with mickey mouse clubhouse for bouts of boredom. Anyone else have suggestions on how to handle kids on these types of trips?

What is the age of the son?

EDIT: Hey, maybe I should get better at reading. Now I see you said 14 month old. We were fortunate that both our kids were pretty good travelers when they were that little. We made sure they had their favorite toys and books (they like looking at books even though they were a long way from reading). At that age they napped a lot so we really didn't have too many problems.

Edited by HickoryHuskers