Vacation/Travel Thread.

justBLAZE

I'm in Baltimore for work and got off early today, so I drove to Gettysburg and toured the civil war site (national park). What a tremendous experience. Would definitely recommend it.

Lived in DC for a year and really regret never going up to Gettysburg.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 10, 2015 -> 11:09 PM)
I'm in Baltimore for work and got off early today, so I drove to Gettysburg and toured the civil war site (national park). What a tremendous experience. Would definitely recommend it.

I wasn't much for civil war history until I went there and took the bus tour, then stood on top of Little Round Top. It was so powerful to be able to look out over the battlefield and really envision the treeline where Pickett's charge came from, seeing the Devil's Den, and getting a feel for how small the battlefield was to fit the kind of manpower numbers, and chaos that took place there. Seeing it brought everything home to me. It is a trip everyone should make at least once as an adult.

Has anyone been to The Whitehouse European Village & Spa in Jamaica? Wife and I are going there for our 25th anniversary later this year. Looks awesome, and to be honest, as long as there is a beach, booze and sun, we should be fine.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ May 10, 2015 -> 11:29 PM)
Anyone been to Iceland before? My buddy is lobbying really hard to get me to go with him later this summer. I think it'd be an unbelievable trip however I don't want to leave my 2 year old daughter behind for almost 2 weeks.

Message Rex. He has done it, multiple times IIRC.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showuser=308

Got a flyer at work advertising a "great deal" on a group rate for a cruise next October. Flyer listed the interior cabin rate at $569/person. Went on the cruise line's website and they have an interior cabin for that cruise listed at $329/person.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 11, 2015 -> 01:06 PM)
Got a flyer at work advertising a "great deal" on a group rate for a cruise next October. Flyer listed the interior cabin rate at $569/person. Went on the cruise line's website and they have an interior cabin for that cruise listed at $329/person.

They didn't say who it was a great deal for.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 11, 2015 -> 09:21 AM)
Message Rex. He has done it, multiple times IIRC.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showuser=308

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 11, 2015 -> 01:06 PM)

If you are serious about a cruise, I am going to name drop the same guy again... This is what Rex does for a living. He sells cruises, and has worked in travel for a long time. He is a stand up dude who will give you an honest answer to whatever you want to know. I know the guy outside of Soxtalk even, and will vouch for him.

If you are serious about a cruise, I am going to name drop the same guy again... This is what Rex does for a living. He sells cruises, and has worked in travel for a long time. He is a stand up dude who will give you an honest answer to whatever you want to know. I know the guy outside of Soxtalk even, and will vouch for him.

Not really interested in the cruise so much as pointing out that somebody at work is ripping people off.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 11, 2015 -> 01:03 PM)
Maybe, but I'm not sure if I know exactly what you mean. PM me if necessary.

Going to the Rush show Thursday night at Scottrade. Need a place to drink and eat beforehand. Nothing too fancy, just drinking beers, eating a burger or something.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 11, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)
Going to the Rush show Thursday night at Scottrade. Need a place to drink and eat beforehand. Nothing too fancy, just drinking beers, eating a burger or something.

The Flying Saucer is about a half mile away. Good beer selection and the food was much better than I expected. 900 Spruce Street

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ May 11, 2015 -> 12:29 AM)
Anyone been to Iceland before? My buddy is lobbying really hard to get me to go with him later this summer. I think it'd be an unbelievable trip however I don't want to leave my 2 year old daughter behind for almost 2 weeks.

We are taking a honeymoon through Europe in August and are flying in and stopping over in Reykjavik for 3 days before returning home. We're excited, it will be a very unique place to visit and much different than the rest of our trip. They have a few interesting museums, plus the Blue Lagoon and Golden Circle that we plan on seeing.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 18, 2015 -> 11:43 PM)
Charleston/Savannah/Tybee Island/Atlanta for the next week. Can't wait.

Damn. I'm assuming your trip is over now based on when you posted this. But if not and you need suggestions on what to do in ATL, let me know.

I was in Nashville for Memorial Day weekend, and I was pleasantly surprised by the number of people rocking Blackhawks gear there. I know Nashville has sort of become a popular destination for Chicagoans, but seeing it firsthand was cool. One of the bars I was at even had a huge Blackhawks flag in it. Thought that was kind of shocking considering this bar was about 2 blocks from Bridgestone Arena, where the Preds play.