Vacation/Travel Thread.

justBLAZE

I want to thank everybody for their input. We will definitely do S&I. We may still do Planetarium but probably not Field Museum. I do still want to do Brookfield Zoo. The kids have been to plenty of zoos as big or bigger than Lincoln Park so that would really be a waste of our time. We're going to be visiting during the week in October so crowds shouldn't be too big of an issue.

The question I really want answered is with the kids whether it's easier to stay downtown or somewhere else (Midway, Rosemont, Oak Brook)?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 01:49 PM)
The question I really want answered is with the kids whether it's easier to stay downtown or somewhere else (Midway, Rosemont, Oak Brook)?

Depends on what's more important to you - $ or time. You'll be saving an insane amount of $ on parking if you stay out in the burbs and commute downtown for things you want to do, but you'll be spending at least an hour each way commuting in and out of the city.

• 2 weeks later...
Heading to Louisville and Nashville this week. Thanks for all the recommendations, will definitely be checking out City House and Edley's, and probably Loveless Cafe as well.

Let me know if you need recommendations for Louisville. I'm 8 miles away from downtown.

Heading to Jamaica at the end of the month for my 25th wedding anniversary. Sandals Whitehouse European Resort and Spa. First time out of the country (other than a brief 2 hour trek to Tijuana back in the early 90's). Has anyone been there, or to one of the other Sandals properties near there lately? So far the only real bad thing I have heard is some beach erosion at many of the resorts resulting in a smaller beach and in most cases a layer of rocks at the bottom a few feet off the shoreline.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 07:21 AM)
Let me know if you need recommendations for Louisville. I'm 8 miles away from downtown.

I missed this before I left, but was only there for a couple of days. I did the whiskey distillery tours which were fun. Also got some ice cream from Comfy Cow, had a delicious burger at Bluegrass, and also an Old Time donut shop I can't remember the name of.

Leaving Friday on our honeymoon for 21 days. Flying in to Milan then heading to Rome, followed by Antibes, Paris and Reykjavik. Very excited. I lived in Germany for a few years when I was a kid but haven't been back in 20 years. And this is the first time out of the country (other than Canada) for my wife.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 12:29 PM)
Leaving Friday on our honeymoon for 21 days. Flying in to Milan then heading to Rome, followed by Antibes, Paris and Reykjavik. Very excited. I lived in Germany for a few years when I was a kid but haven't been back in 20 years. And this is the first time out of the country (other than Canada) for my wife.

Nice, Reykajavik looks great.

We loved Paris...I strongly recommend doing Bike About Tours. They take you to all the "less-talked about sites", for example, they took us to the place of Jim Morrison's death and many secret gardens/alleys, etc. AMAZING tour.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 12:29 PM)

SO SO Jealous, Iceland's right near the top of my places to visit

Alright parents, I need some ideas for a family vacation in the lower 48. I have a 3.2 year old, so there needs to be some very kid-centric things to do. We've done driving trips to Hilton Head and Disney/florida beach house the last two summers. I want to go west and camp, but I don't think my son is old enough for that yet. Sadly a beach and water is the biggest draw, and some kind of theme park is a good way to pass the time.

Any other coastal destinations that people would recommend? We thought about Myrtle Beach, but I can't really tell why that place is so special. There doesn't appear to be anything THAT amazing there. We're debating another Disney/florida trip, but I feel weird about it since we just went last year. But he had such a blast last time (and my wife and I enjoyed it too) that it would be a guaranteed fun trip.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 11:39 AM)
Alright parents, I need some ideas for a family vacation in the lower 48. I have a 3.2 year old, so there needs to be some very kid-centric things to do. We've done driving trips to Hilton Head and Disney/florida beach house the last two summers. I want to go west and camp, but I don't think my son is old enough for that yet. Sadly a beach and water is the biggest draw, and some kind of theme park is a good way to pass the time.

Any other coastal destinations that people would recommend? We thought about Myrtle Beach, but I can't really tell why that place is so special. There doesn't appear to be anything THAT amazing there. We're debating another Disney/florida trip, but I feel weird about it since we just went last year. But he had such a blast last time (and my wife and I enjoyed it too) that it would be a guaranteed fun trip.

Depends a lot on time of year. If it's August, heck you can find places on the Great Lakes that could be fun with beaches but other things to do as well. Like Put-in-Bay (Lake Erie off Ohio shore), Door County (WI), Saugatuck/Douglas (MI), etc. If you are going fall or winter and want something tropical I'm not as much help as we've rarely done that yet with our kids, but maybe one of the barrier islands in Texas if you want something different?

Two trips this month, open to thoughts...

--Montreal on business next week, most of the week. Would probably have time in the evenings but not during the day.

--3 days hiking (with a Navajo guide) in Canyon de Chelly (Arizona). This one's been on my bucket list for a long time.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)
Depends a lot on time of year. If it's August, heck you can find places on the Great Lakes that could be fun with beaches but other things to do as well. Like Put-in-Bay (Lake Erie off Ohio shore), Door County (WI), Saugatuck/Douglas (MI), etc. If you are going fall or winter and want something tropical I'm not as much help as we've rarely done that yet with our kids, but maybe one of the barrier islands in Texas if you want something different?

Planning to go late Sept-early Oct to take advantage of the "off season" rates when kids are back in school.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Aug 12, 2015 -> 11:07 AM)
Where'd you eat and see music? Been there a bunch but always looking for rec's. Thanks!

we ate at (off the top of my head) Coop's Place, for Poor Boy sandwich, Antoine's, Napoleon House and obviously, Cafe Du Monde.

Live Jazz at Fritzel's, Spotted Cat and Crescent City Brewhouse.

I'm already planning a trip back.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 06:29 PM)

I guess you're mid trip now and not going to see this but just in case:

Iceland is great but I would definitely recommend to get out from Reykjavik if you're not already planning to do so. The Golden Circle tour route is an easy one to do and will allow you to see some beautiful spots. The Blue Lagoon geothermal spa is a cool place to see and not far from Reykjavik. Glacier hiking on the Jokulsarlon glacier was the highlight of my trip when I went, but that's a bit further out from Reykjavik (4+ hour drive). Whale watching is a popular touristy thing to do but was a bit of a dud for me, even though we did get a few very brief glimpses of whale. If it's still in puffin season then the whale watching may be more enjoyable as they typically combine the two.

Some great restaurants in Reykjavik too. Grillmarkadurinn (grill market) was our favourite. Excellent steaks from Icelandic cattle and they offered some interesting dishes (minke whale, puffin, horse tenderloin), all of which were good (especially the horse).

So those with kids.....how have you handled the airport situation? We're flying to Orlando (I found super cheap flights...$288 total for 3 of us). And we're renting a car. Doesn't look like a need to use the car seat on the plane (my son's just over 40lbs), but he will need his car seat for the rental car. Do you guys check the car seat? Carry it on? Gate check it? Or just rent one and not deal with the hassle? I see online a lot of people don't check the car seat at the front desk because of the risk of damage or the risk of it not showing up. I'm thinking I'll gate check it, but I've never gate checked anything before. Do you pick it up right after you get off the plane? Or does it show up at the baggage carousel? I'm entering into a new world here...

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 18, 2015 -> 11:49 AM)
So those with kids.....how have you handled the airport situation? We're flying to Orlando (I found super cheap flights...$288 total for 3 of us). And we're renting a car. Doesn't look like a need to use the car seat on the plane (my son's just over 40lbs), but he will need his car seat for the rental car. Do you guys check the car seat? Carry it on? Gate check it? Or just rent one and not deal with the hassle? I see online a lot of people don't check the car seat at the front desk because of the risk of damage or the risk of it not showing up. I'm thinking I'll gate check it, but I've never gate checked anything before. Do you pick it up right after you get off the plane? Or does it show up at the baggage carousel? I'm entering into a new world here...

I would think you'd just rent one (no idea what it costs). I absolutely wouldn't put one through baggage claim cause you can't control the damage that might have happened. Then again, not sure how you can control from a rental car either, but I presume they have good controls in place regarding the car seats. Plus, with everything you are already going to be hauling, probably worth it just to rent the seat.

Regarding gate checking, unless it differs from previous times I've gate checked, you pick your bag up through baggage claim (unless you are flying a small plane and then you wait in front of your plane).

Totally understand your scenario and I'll be making a similar post when I venture the airport with the little one.