Vacation/Travel Thread.

justBLAZE

The wife and I are thinking about heading to Hawaii this year. Probably looking to stay on one island for a beach vacation with the option to get some hiking and the like in.

We're looking at a deal on the west side of Maui. I've never been to Hawaii and looking to see if anyone has opinions...

My wife and I went to Hawaii last summer (Big Island, Maui, Kauai). It's hard to pick a "favorite" island, but Maui does stand out a bit in my mind. The west side of the island might mean around Lahaina and Ka'anapali. Gorgeous area, and Lahaina is a cool town with lots of shops, restaurants and activities. We stayed at some condos down in Kihei, but the area up on the north-northwestern side of the island definitely seemed a little bit nicer.

Hiking around Haleakala was one of the coolest hikes we've done. If/when we go back, we'd definitely do at least one night backpacking there.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 07:30 AM)
Napali coast was fantastic but I think my favorite place was the Haleakala crater. It was like being on another planet.

2015-07-03%2012.12.20-2.jpg

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)
Okay, made the submission for a Visa successfully.

Some tips - the form on the Chicago Chinese embassy site is WRONG, go to the national Chinese embassy site

- As my wife and I were going together, we only printed one set of our flight/hotel info. They luckily had a copy machine there.

We pick up on wednesday thouhg, and the embassy was very fast. Overall a pretty good experience, better than Brazil's.

Advice on Brazil's visa process? I'll be doing that in the next couple of weeks (traveling in March).

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
Advice on Brazil's visa process? I'll be doing that in the next couple of weeks (traveling in March).

Definitely get to a consulate in person. It's pretty expensive, a shame you aren't going in June when its free.

What cities you going to?

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 10:28 AM)
The wife and I are thinking about heading to Hawaii this year. Probably looking to stay on one island for a beach vacation with the option to get some hiking and the like in.

We're looking at a deal on the west side of Maui. I've never been to Hawaii and looking to see if anyone has opinions...

I recommend at least 10 days in Hawaii. It's a big flight and the jetlag got to me (typically doesn't bother me), it's not a big deal to visit two island as they are a quick flight.

If I had the chance to do it all over again, I would go to Kauai for an entire trip. The place is incredible and to me, embodies what Hawaii is all about. Lush greenery, amazing beaches perched alongside cliffs (North Shore) and one of the best hiking trails in the world, Kalalau Trail on the Napali Coast. Awesome food as well

One thing on Hawaiian islands, I assume you'll rent a car. The islands aren't big and you can go around to the different parts within a few hours (farthest).

Kuaia was my favorite, less developed than Maui is now. If you want to just chill and hike, I don't think you'll fail with any of them.

Just came back from 5 days in Denver. Dammit do I love that city. In one afternoon, I drove up to and around Lookout Mountain for incredible scenery, saw the Buffalo Bill museum and grave, went to Red Rocks and walked around, did the Coors Brewery tour and also checked out Mile High Stadium.

The drive south to Colorado Springs/Pueblo is also really gorgeous.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 02:29 PM)
Just came back from 5 days in Denver. Dammit do I love that city. In one afternoon, I drove up to and around Lookout Mountain for incredible scenery, saw the Buffalo Bill museum and grave, went to Red Rocks and walked around, did the Coors Brewery tour and also checked out Mile High Stadium.

The drive south to Colorado Springs/Pueblo is also really gorgeous.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Did you happen to hike at all when you checked out Lookout Mountain? That's one of my favorite trails near the city, mainly for the views. Did you spend any time in Golden?

You left out the details of all the craft breweries that you visited!

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 12:49 PM)
Definitely get to a consulate in person. It's pretty expensive, a shame you aren't going in June when its free.

What cities you going to?

Definitely Sao Paulo. We're still figuring out the rest. We'll probably have to do mail or use a service, as I don't think we'll be able to get down to Atlanta to do it in person. If in person is absolutely the best way to go, we'll find a way.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)
One thing on Hawaiian islands, I assume you'll rent a car. The islands aren't big and you can go around to the different parts within a few hours (farthest).

Kuaia was my favorite, less developed than Maui is now. If you want to just chill and hike, I don't think you'll fail with any of them.

I loved Maui. I would strongly recommend it to anyone, because it has positives for all potential vacationers.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 08:13 AM)
I loved Maui. I would strongly recommend it to anyone, because it has positives for all potential vacationers.

Yeah, that's probably it's strongest point. Lots of beaches obviously, all the water sports/activities you could ever want, big resorts if that's your sort of thing, small B&B (Hana area) if that's what you're looking for, restaurants from cheap-but-delicious fried fish to $$$$ fine dining, hiking, shopping, etc.

Best meal in our whole trip was probably the fresh-caught Mahi hacked into chunks right in front of you and tempora-fried in the back of a bus/kitchen thing on the road to Hana.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 06:52 AM)
Definitely Sao Paulo. We're still figuring out the rest. We'll probably have to do mail or use a service, as I don't think we'll be able to get down to Atlanta to do it in person. If in person is absolutely the best way to go, we'll find a way.

Sorry, didn't realize you were in Knoxville. You'll be fine. One thing that's helpful is reading the yelp reviews of the consulate you are applying to for tips.

If you are there for some time, I really recommend going to a smaller coastal town like Ubatuba (2 hrs away)? Buses are a great way to travel in Brazil.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 08:27 AM)
Yeah, that's probably it's strongest point. Lots of beaches obviously, all the water sports/activities you could ever want, big resorts if that's your sort of thing, small B&B (Hana area) if that's what you're looking for, restaurants from cheap-but-delicious fried fish to $$$$ fine dining, hiking, shopping, etc.

Best meal in our whole trip was probably the fresh-caught Mahi hacked into chunks right in front of you and tempora-fried in the back of a bus/kitchen thing on the road to Hana.

Mama's Fish House. My favorite meal on our 2 week trip to the islands.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 02:56 PM)

I heard great things about Mama's Fish House, but we stayed on the northwest part of the island and the restaurant is in the middle of the island not near anything we were doing. We thought about going there on our way to the airport when we were leaving, just didn't end up happening.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 06:08 PM)
Just got back from Arizona. Loved it still. Went hiking up Doe Mountain in Sedona. Unbelievable views. I'll throw some pics on here once I upload them. They don't even look real.

I did not expect to love Arizona as much as I did. I'd move there in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 05:33 PM)
I did not expect to love Arizona as much as I did. I'd move there in a heartbeat.

It is the MOST underrated state in the country. Flagstaff is awesome. Sedona is the most breathtaking city in the county in my opinion. Lots of nature, the Grand Caynon, etc.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 01:56 PM)

My wife and went to Mama's on an evening it was pouring in Maui,we were staying in Wailea. Just as we were finishing dinner, the roof right above us sprung a leak, and got us all wet. They comped us the meal which was pretty nice.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 04:33 PM)
It is the MOST underrated state in the country. Flagstaff is awesome. Sedona is the most breathtaking city in the county in my opinion. Lots of nature, the Grand Caynon, etc.

Pffft.

Let's not get crazy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 04:54 PM)
My wife and went to Mama's on an evening it was pouring in Maui,we were staying in Wailea. Just as we were finishing dinner, the roof right above us sprung a leak, and got us all wet. They comped us the meal which was pretty nice.

Never made it to Mama's, but ate at Morimoto's a few times and it was outstanding.

Speaking of underrated areas of the country...the Reno, NV area is pretty solid. You've got 4 season weather, tons of outdoor activities, proximity to some great culture in San Francisco, reasonably affordable, and Lake Tahoe right on your doorstep.

Southern Nevada is really underrated in my opinion as well. I went to Phoenix a few weeks ago for work and it was like...Vegas without all the fun :)

Edited by iamshack