Vacation/Travel Thread.

justBLAZE

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)
Has anyone been to New Zealand? Planning an outdoorsy trip there in April with my sister for three weeks.

Tentatively planning on hitting Tongariro, Tai Poutini, Kepler Track, Milford Sound, and Fiordland.

Rob my man, we should talk. I spent two weeks there with my wife in 2008, did two tracks with touristy stuff in between. Did the Dusky Track (the most wild of the wilderness tracks) in Fiordland, which was tough as hell but absolutely stunning. Then did the Marlborough Sounds trail, which was easy and you just hiked a trail from resort to resort each day while they take your bags to the next one for you.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 23, 2016 -> 06:33 PM)
It is the MOST underrated state in the country. Flagstaff is awesome. Sedona is the most breathtaking city in the county in my opinion. Lots of nature, the Grand Caynon, etc.

Nah. Its ok, some good places to visit and all but its not that awesome.

So I've been invited to two separate bachelor parties planned for the same weekend (Mar 31-Apr 2). One is in Vegas, the other is in Nashville. I've already been to Vegas but never Nashville. I've heard good things about Nashville, but I can't say I've ever been in to the whole country scene. Anyone who's been to both places have an opinion on the two cities comparison wise?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 08:45 AM)
So I've been invited to two separate bachelor parties planned for the same weekend (Mar 31-Apr 2). One is in Vegas, the other is in Nashville. I've already been to Vegas but never Nashville. I've heard good things about Nashville, but I can't say I've ever been in to the whole country scene. Anyone who's been to both places have an opinion on the two cities comparison wise?

They dont call it Nashvegas for nothing....

Its very different to vegas in that you walk from place to place but its a really really good time.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 08:45 AM)

I've only been to Nashville, but I LOVED it. I would totally go back there if I ever get the chance.

I've been to both cities, but only with my wife in both cases so I did not participate in the kind of fun I expect you are seeking in either city.

QUOTE (three up three down @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 08:18 AM)
Planning on going to Savannah, GA this fall. Going to be very nice.

Be sure to walk around the downtown area and relax in the parks. Really cool layout down there. The river section is the main tourist trap, sort of a poor man's navy pier, but still worth walking up and down. There's a visitor/tourist center somewhat close by if you need a jumping off point.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 09:21 AM)
Be sure to walk around the downtown area and relax in the parks. Really cool layout down there. The river section is the main tourist trap, sort of a poor man's navy pier, but still worth walking up and down. There's a visitor/tourist center somewhat close by if you need a jumping off point.

Didn't Hawk come from there? There should be a statue. Mercy.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably a good question for Shack but looking for a nice steak dinner in Las Vegas, was thinking Vic and Anthony's and then hanging out around Fremont St for a night. Any opinions on that?

Also, we're thinking of seeing a show, maybe cirque maybe a magic show. There's like 7 cirque shows going on it seems, I'm sure they are different but is there really a big difference in quality between them? Figured we'd look at the cheapest/most convenient option to our hotel.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 05:02 PM)
Probably a good question for Shack but looking for a nice steak dinner in Las Vegas, was thinking Vic and Anthony's and then hanging out around Fremont St for a night. Any opinions on that?

Also, we're thinking of seeing a show, maybe cirque maybe a magic show. There's like 7 cirque shows going on it seems, I'm sure they are different but is there really a big difference in quality between them? Figured we'd look at the cheapest/most convenient option to our hotel.

There are so many great steakhouses in town...honestly, just do some research on Trip Advisor, decide if you want on strip and off strip....then max out lol. Can't go wrong with most.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 09:42 AM)
There are so many great steakhouses in town...honestly, just do some research on Trip Advisor, decide if you want on strip and off strip....then max out lol. Can't go wrong with most.

Yea thats where I got Vic and Anthony's from. And i haven't been to downtown Las Vegas so we're going to make a night of it there.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 12:56 AM)
Probably should start looking for honeymoon spots (little over a year away), any recommendations? We want to be on a beach, somewhere safe. Might want an all inclusive but it isn't a must. Hawaii would be fun but have no idea what the best places to go would be.

Southern France. Antibes (we stayed here), Cannes or St Tropez. All beautiful and a quick train ride from the closest airport at Nice or Marseille.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 11:56 PM)
Probably should start looking for honeymoon spots (little over a year away), any recommendations? We want to be on a beach, somewhere safe. Might want an all inclusive but it isn't a must. Hawaii would be fun but have no idea what the best places to go would be.

We loved our time in St Lucia. Stayed at one of the three Sandals places on the island - you can then visit all three as you wish, there are shuttles. Mostly was fantastic, all-inclusive, but the food was kinda meh and you felt very disconnected from the local scene (which can be good and bad). Did some day trips to go sailing, took a boat to Martinique, went snorkeling, jeep tour, etc.

A place we almost stayed was called Anse Chastenet, and that's where we'd stay if we went again. Sort of the opposite of a Sandals resort - smaller and secluded, more luxurious but also open rooms that blend into the scenery instead of boxy buildings, more local flavor.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 07:47 AM)
Southern France. Antibes (we stayed here), Cannes or St Tropez. All beautiful and a quick train ride from the closest airport at Nice or Marseille.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 18, 2016 -> 07:57 AM)
We loved our time in St Lucia. Stayed at one of the three Sandals places on the island - you can then visit all three as you wish, there are shuttles. Mostly was fantastic, all-inclusive, but the food was kinda meh and you felt very disconnected from the local scene (which can be good and bad). Did some day trips to go sailing, took a boat to Martinique, went snorkeling, jeep tour, etc.

A place we almost stayed was called Anse Chastenet, and that's where we'd stay if we went again. Sort of the opposite of a Sandals resort - smaller and secluded, more luxurious but also open rooms that blend into the scenery instead of boxy buildings, more local flavor.

I will look into those. Never really thought about France as a beachy type of place but could be interesting.

Northside- I heard all inclusive places usually don't have that great of food so that could be a turnoff but I like how we don't have to worry about paying for anything when we are there and can just enjoy whatever we want to do.

Getting married this July--but we're not going to do a full/big honeymoon until summer 2017. Neither of us are beach people at all and are more into cultural sights...we've narrowed it down to two options: Quebec or the Pacific Northwest. Any thoughts? Obviously not your typical honeymoon destination so anyone who's travelled there in general would be appreciated.

We're also looking at just doing a couple of days to get away for a "mini-moon" this summer. We were thinking of Galena, or Lake Geneva...something not too far away from Northern IL. Any other suggestions there?

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 07:46 AM)
We're also looking at just doing a couple of days to get away for a "mini-moon" this summer. We were thinking of Galena, or Lake Geneva...something not too far away from Northern IL. Any other suggestions there?

Kohler, Wisconsin. Stay at the American Club. Super-nice resort, world class spa (not really my thing but some people are into that), you can tour the Kohler flagship showroom (which sounds boring but was actually kinda fun), hike in the woods nearby, golf if you like that, some shopping to do - all in walking distance. Restaurants are world class, make sure you go to the one in the woods (I forget the name). Peace and quiet. Perfect weekend getaway from Northern Illinois.

Door County can also work well for that, it's a little further away though.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 07:46 AM)
Getting married this July--but we're not going to do a full/big honeymoon until summer 2017. Neither of us are beach people at all and are more into cultural sights...we've narrowed it down to two options: Quebec or the Pacific Northwest. Any thoughts? Obviously not your typical honeymoon destination so anyone who's travelled there in general would be appreciated.

Galena is really nice but very touristy. Lodging I would recommend Eagle Ridge Resort, which is about 10 minutes outside of Galena and quieter and much more scenic. Eagle Ridge has a spa, hiking trails, balloon rides, a pool etc etc. There also is a ski resort close by called Chesnut that does summer activities as well, segway tours, riverboat cruises, and zip lining to name a few.

However, the main attraction is the downtown main street of Galena itself, as it has a wonderful selection of shops and restaurants where you can easily spend a day just exploring. A couple places I would highly recommend is Blaum Brothers Distillery (free tour and tasting), Galena Brewing Company, Fritz and Frites, and the Log Cabin.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 01:17 PM)
Yea thats where I got Vic and Anthony's from. And i haven't been to downtown Las Vegas so we're going to make a night of it there.

Yeah there's an insane amount of top of the line steak houses on the strip. I'm sure you can't go wrong really.

Downtown Vegas is a different beast. It's way more low-brow than the strip, but a ton of fun. I always make sure to spend an afternoon or early night there. Everything is dirt cheap. 1 dollar drinks, 2 dollar tables. It's great. The light show is great at night. The zip line thing is fun, and relatively cheap (20 bucks I believe), but it takes a lot longer than you'd expect, even with a small line. I'd say the food is mostly garbage downtown, but I will say EAT is the best breakfast place I've gone to in all of Vegas. The famous heart attack grill is at the south end, but I wouldn't eat there. It's pretty funny to see regardless.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 08:46 AM)

Quebec City is beautiful. It's basically a European city in North America. If you're referring to the province of Quebec, then including Montreal is even better. Lots of stuff to do and very interesting culturally from the rest of the country/continent. I don't know anything about the Pacific NW but I've been to Quebec a few times and it does not disappoint.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 09:29 AM)
Quebec City is beautiful. It's basically a European city in North America. If you're referring to the province of Quebec, then including Montreal is even better. Lots of stuff to do and very interesting culturally from the rest of the country/continent. I don't know anything about the Pacific NW but I've been to Quebec a few times and it does not disappoint.

Yeah, we were thinking all of Quebec--probably mostly Montreal with a couple days in Quebec City.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 09:11 AM)
Yeah there's an insane amount of top of the line steak houses on the strip. I'm sure you can't go wrong really.

Downtown Vegas is a different beast. It's way more low-brow than the strip, but a ton of fun. I always make sure to spend an afternoon or early night there. Everything is dirt cheap. 1 dollar drinks, 2 dollar tables. It's great. The light show is great at night. The zip line thing is fun, and relatively cheap (20 bucks I believe), but it takes a lot longer than you'd expect, even with a small line. I'd say the food is mostly garbage downtown, but I will say EAT is the best breakfast place I've gone to in all of Vegas. The famous heart attack grill is at the south end, but I wouldn't eat there. It's pretty funny to see regardless.

Nice good to know, I'm excited to check it all out.