Vacation/Travel Thread.

justBLAZE

Anyone done Alaska by land? I'm planning for 2023 or 2024 a trip to Glacier NP, Bannf PP, then Alaska Highway to Alaska then the loop stopping is Homer, Seward, etc. Not certain about the return route. Towing our travel trailer. 

• 5 months later...
On 8/28/2022 at 8:00 AM, Texsox said:

Anyone done Alaska by land? I'm planning for 2023 or 2024 a trip to Glacier NP, Bannf PP, then Alaska Highway to Alaska then the loop stopping is Homer, Seward, etc. Not certain about the return route. Towing our travel trailer. 

I spent 2 weeks on the Kenai Peninsula about 15 years ago.  Stayed in Seward and Homer and a couple other places, but we flew into AK. 

On 2/25/2023 at 7:38 AM, wegner said:

My better half has suggested a trip to Spring Training.  We have never been there or to Arizona at all.  Just going to catch 1 game and then several more days in AZ.  

Any suggestions of places not to miss or other tips?

Arizona is awesome. It's my favorite state to visit. Been there like 4 times now.

Definitely recommend spending 1-2 days in Sedona, especially if you're in to hiking (plenty of easy trails with paths for all ages).

We also spent a day at the Grand Canyon and 2 days in Page, going to see Horseshoe Bend and ATTEMPTED to go see Antelope Canyon, but it was still closed due to Covid. Since Antelope Canyon was closed, we drove about an hour into Utah and went to Buckskin Gulch instead.

Jerome, AZ is also a funky little ghost town to go see. Well, it USED to be a ghost town but now it's a tourist town. It's up on a mountain. Look up some YouTube videos, it's unique.

We also visited Sunset Crater in Flagstaff, which used to be a volcano. It's black rock and black sand from volcanic ash.

I took my drone to all of these places and got some really cool footage. It was my favorite trip we've taken and I can't wait to go back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Leonard Zelig said:

I spent 2 weeks on the Kenai Peninsula about 15 years ago.  Stayed in Seward and Homer and a couple other places, but we flew into AK. 

I was surprised when looking at the map that basically it's a lollipop loop. Not a lot of roads other than to connect the cities. 

13 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Arizona is awesome. It's my favorite state to visit. Been there like 4 times now.

Definitely recommend spending 1-2 days in Sedona, especially if you're in to hiking (plenty of easy trails with paths for all ages).

We also spent a day at the Grand Canyon and 2 days in Page, going to see Horseshoe Bend and ATTEMPTED to go see Antelope Canyon, but it was still closed due to Covid. Since Antelope Canyon was closed, we drove about an hour into Utah and went to Buckskin Gulch instead.

Jerome, AZ is also a funky little ghost town to go see. Well, it USED to be a ghost town but now it's a tourist town. It's up on a mountain. Look up some YouTube videos, it's unique.

We also visited Sunset Crater in Flagstaff, which used to be a volcano. It's black rock and black sand from volcanic ash.

I took my drone to all of these places and got some really cool footage. It was my favorite trip we've taken and I can't wait to go back.

All great tips, thanks.  Now I wish my trip was longer.

• 4 weeks later...

Going to Denver for a week in June/July. Seeing a concert at Red Rocks, seeing a Rockies game at Coors, exploring downtown, and venturing south to Estes Park. Any suggestions or tips on must-sees/best restaurants in the Denver area?

Edited by ScooterMcGuire

6 hours ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

Going to Denver for a week in June/July. Seeing a concert at Red Rocks, seeing a Rockies game at Coors, exploring downtown, and venturing siuth to Estes Park. Any suggestions or tips on must-sees/best restaurants in the Denver area?

Haven't been there for a few years(Last time I went was for an education conference). However, we did eat at a place called Buckhorn Exchange which we thought was phenomenal.Pretty diverse menu,if I recall even rattlesnake was a choice lol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2023 at 1:17 PM, ScooterMcGuire said:

Going to Denver for a week in June/July. Seeing a concert at Red Rocks, seeing a Rockies game at Coors, exploring downtown, and venturing south to Estes Park. Any suggestions or tips on must-sees/best restaurants in the Denver area?

I really liked going to Golden and Boulder. There's also a bunch of small mining towns around that I loved going to but couldn't tell you any names. Just cheap touristy stuff.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Read about the violence in Chicago the past two nights all over Twitter. Sun Times and Trib had very little on the mobs attacking cars by Millennial Park. Any suggestions on where I should stay if I am coming in for 4 nights in June: Thursday thru Sunday on vacation? City or suburbia? Ballgame, zoo, museums, pizza, comedy show on agenda meeting people there.