Vacation/Travel Thread.

justBLAZE

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Sep 12, 2014 -> 04:47 PM)
Yeah I plan on not worrying about money too much while we are there, but I don't think it would do enough for me to drop $700 on it.

My wife and I did the Napali helicopter your last week on our honeymoon, it was $180 a person. The most expensive I had seen is the one that drops you into the Jurassic Falls for around $270 a person. A $700 ride for two better come with a 4 course meal lol

Kauai and Oahu are both incredible for their own different reasons

Thought about doing something new and different over New Years' week this year. We've never taken the kids (will be 6 and 2.5 then) on a beach vacation type thing, to get some warmth during the winter. So I priced out what it would cost to go to one of those Beaches resorts in like the Bahamas, all-inclusive. They have double rooms so the kids have a semi-seperate room, tons of activities, all that stuff.

HOLY BEJEEBUS. The cost for a week for the four of us, not including airfare, was either $23,000 or $17,000, depending on whether or not you got an ocean view. You have got to be kidding me. This wasn't a super high-end room either, this was the lowest level that had that double room. It goes UP from there.

So since that is a big fat No F'in Way... anyone here with younger kids do any snow bird sort of trips in winter, to places tropical or beachy? Any recommendations that don't cost A CAR? Looking for a place that would be warm enough that time of year to actually hit the beach maybe, if possible. I'd settle for just warm though.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
Thought about doing something new and different over New Years' week this year. We've never taken the kids (will be 6 and 2.5 then) on a beach vacation type thing, to get some warmth during the winter. So I priced out what it would cost to go to one of those Beaches resorts in like the Bahamas, all-inclusive. They have double rooms so the kids have a semi-seperate room, tons of activities, all that stuff.

HOLY BEJEEBUS. The cost for a week for the four of us, not including airfare, was either $23,000 or $17,000, depending on whether or not you got an ocean view. You have got to be kidding me. This wasn't a super high-end room either, this was the lowest level that had that double room. It goes UP from there.

So since that is a big fat No F'in Way... anyone here with younger kids do any snow bird sort of trips in winter, to places tropical or beachy? Any recommendations that don't cost A CAR? Looking for a place that would be warm enough that time of year to actually hit the beach maybe, if possible. I'd settle for just warm though.

Places like South Padre Island in Texas and Key West FL come to mind.

Man I think you have to shop around, I know my family does these all-inclusive trips all the time and they are going this year to Mexico, Puerto Vallarta I belive...

I think it's going to cost them $1600 per head and they are going during XMas time. I can ask them for some details.

Yeah you need to do way more research than that. It takes me weeks of checking and re-checking, plus the Beaches resorts arent that great. I would take a Secrets brand vacation in PV over those ones.

I always start out by finding out the flexible dates. Then pull in around 5-7 sites you want to search. Then destinatons, Riviera Maya, PV, Cabo, jamaica etc. Then start narrowing by brand. That particular date range is expensive because its the high season, but you should still get a better deal than that.

Yeah don't waste your money on the Bahamas. My girlfriend and I went to Punta Cana back in March to a dreams resort for just over $3000 with nonstop flights out of midway. We're going to a secrets resort in riviera maya next week for $3600. Can't wait. Secrets, dreams, now, and breathless resorts are all owned by the same company and they're pretty uniform so we love them. Can't recommend them enough!

Thanks for the input, everyone. To be clear, I didn't do a ton of research - just looked at Beaches. If I were to look into this further, I'd do a LOT more research, and these suggestions will help.

Also, I saw cheaper rates there, but not for the two-room setup (which, with young kids, is key to me).

I was just shocked at that first look. That is insane money for that sort of vacation. Sounds like there are much better deals out there if/when I start looking more in-depth.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 09:28 AM)
I've heard lots of good things about Punta Cana

Absolutely loved my experience I'm Punta Cana. I'd be going back there next week but I couldn't find a direct flight Sunday to Saturday so were going to cancun instead. Customs are super quick and easy in Punta Cana

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 18, 2014 -> 09:21 PM)
Puerto Rico can be cheap.

Should probably expand a bit and say that it can be really nice, too. My wife and I have been there twice, including once for our wedding. There's San Juan if you want a big city and a Miami-like strip of hotels and beaches and the really cool historic Old San Juan. There's rugged mountains in the interior, including the huge radiotelescope at Arecibo (Goldfinger and Contact were filmed there). There's drier areas down in the southern parts (Ponce). There's a coastline that reminds me of central California over on the west side (Rincon) with lots of surfing and scuba.

The Bahamas might not be the best location in December either, given their more Northern location and slightly cooler climate.

If you only plan on hanging out at the resort by the beach/pool, I wouldn't worry as much about which country you go to, just find the best resort that you like (for your price). Outside the resort some places are safer than others, but if you are just gonna hang in one place, none of that really matters.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 27, 2014 -> 02:38 PM)
Anyone know of a cheap/discounted way to get 1-day tickets to Disney World/Magic Kingdom in Orlando?

You ever get an answer? I am heading ot the gulf for spring break and was hoping ot hit there for a day. The lazy way through the website had me at $105 a day. F' off Mickey.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 07:50 AM)
So it appears I'm going to New Orleans for a bachelor party in March. Anyone ever been there? I think we're staying right in the French Quarter

I went down there for a bachelor party weekend once, though that was pre-Katrina (2004 I believe). That town can be... dangerous. In many ways.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 14, 2015 -> 02:50 PM)
So it appears I'm going to New Orleans for a bachelor party in March. Anyone ever been there? I think we're staying right in the French Quarter

kinda of my neck of the woods.

there is sooo much talk about that area, you have to go and experience it. Bourbon st

is not all that great. Rush st is crazier, well at least in the late 80's early 90's.

there is some nice restaurants but man it is very expensive. but at least you could say

you ate a cuisine in New Orleans.

I'm going for a bachelor party in April, pretty excited for it.

I've been there twice before, it's great. So many good food places, great places to drink, lots of places with music, always a party to be had. If you are in the French Quarter, there's more than enough going on to keep you guys busy & in and out of trouble.

I was there for a Bachelor party in 2013. We rented a condo and just partied for 4 straight days and nights. It's a blast.

Sort of along these lines, some of you might remember the documentary I was hawking last summer - the one where we roadtripped 6,000 miles from Seattle to NYC, camping the whole way, only spending as much per week as the average American spends on food.

Anyway, we're heading into post-production now, and we've got a pretty sick Instagram with some great images from the trip, if anyone's into that kind of thing.

@just_go_roadtrip http://instagram.com/just_go_roadtrip/

/shameless plug

JustGoIG_zps90940d74.jpg

Edited by Reddy

I guess this is the place for this.

I am traveling to Chicago in about 2 months. And I was planning on surprising and doing something special for my girlfriend one of the days we are there. I wanted to get a Limo to take us around the city and see some places we haven't been able to go to and take us to dinner that night. Does anyone have a service they recommend that is fairly priced for just 2 or so hours?