Vacation/Travel Thread.

justBLAZE

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 27, 2016 -> 07:46 PM)
Anyone know where f it costs anything to see the Grand Canyon? Maybe moving to Arizona and thinking of stopping there on way even though it's a couple of hours out of the way.

I took a shuttle from the Flagstaff airport a couple years ago and a $6 per rider fee was included in the shuttle cost.

Puerto Rico was a blast. Highly recommend it for a bachelor party. Ended up doing a spearfishing trip, a hike through El Yunque to La Mina falls (that was raging after a big rain), a trip to the Luqillo Kiosks, and then a couple of days spent in and around Old San Juan. Lots of Medilla Light was consumed.

We have a busy summer planned. We will be working from a remote mountain house in June cataloging a writer's unpublished works for possible publications. Later in the month we will be flying to the Pacific northwest for some hiking and camping. Later in the summer we're heading to Chicago and then St. Germain Wisconsin for a couple weeks. I'm also trying to fit in a golf coach's camp.

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 07:32 AM)
We have a busy summer planned. We will be working from a remote mountain house in June cataloging a writer's unpublished works for possible publications. Later in the month we will be flying to the Pacific northwest for some hiking and camping. Later in the summer we're heading to Chicago and then St. Germain Wisconsin for a couple weeks. I'm also trying to fit in a golf coach's camp.

Make sure you stop at the Go Karts

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Feb 17, 2016 -> 11:56 PM)
Probably should start looking for honeymoon spots (little over a year away), any recommendations? We want to be on a beach, somewhere safe. Might want an all inclusive but it isn't a must. Hawaii would be fun but have no idea what the best places to go would be.

We had our Honeymoon in Hawaii and stayed on Kaanapali Beach on Maui and then Island Hopped to Kauai. Maui is more of a touristy spot, where as Kauai was more quiet. In Maui, you can drive the road to Hana. It takes you from mid island to the southern point Black Sand beach. On the way there are many stops where you can see waterfalls, sacred pools, and amazing scenery. It is a slow drive through mountainous windy roads, so it is a long day. There used to be(I'm sure there still are) self guided tours where you would put a cassette tape(yeah, it was 17 years ago) in and it would say to "drive one mile, park on the right, walk down the path to..." and there is an amazing waterfall or whatever. You can take the short drive down to Lahaina town where there are the local shops and what not. You can also visit Haleakala Volcano/Crater.

On Kauai, you can take a Kayak to the fern grotto, we did a fishing excursion that doubled as a sight seeing tour. There's so many places to see on both.

And the best part is you can just jump in the water at any beach and see tropical fish everywhere. I'd suggest buying and bringing your own snorkel, though. By the time you would pay the rental fees each day, it could cost more. Also, having to put your mouth where someone else has been sucking or chewing on...eeew.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 09:51 AM)
Combining a work trip into a long weekend in Boston and coastal Maine in a couple of weeks. Not the best season for it, but it lines up with my wife's spring break. Mainly looking to eat lots and lots of seafood.

I would have lobster rolls coming out of my ears after that trip.

On another note, I didn't know you were a fellow Homer Glenian (head nod to ya).

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 09:56 AM)
I would have lobster rolls coming out of my ears after that trip.

Yeah, did a work trip out this same way two summers ago. Never ate better in my life.

On another note, I didn't know you were a fellow Homer Glenian (head nod to ya).

Grew up in Lockport, lived in Woodridge after college, moved to Homer about 6 weeks ago.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
Grew up in Lockport, lived in Woodridge after college, moved to Homer about 6 weeks ago.

Homer is a great place to live. Not as busy but there is enough there so you dont feel like you are away from civilization.

Although since we have moved to Homer about 2 years it has already grown double in business and other developments so I dont think it is going to continue to be quiet for very long.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 09:31 AM)
This summer we are probably driving down to Galveston Island with the kids. I can't wait.

I'll be painfully honest with you in my opinion, I went to Galveston for a couple of hours once, it is a cesspool. Very trashy. It's like Wisconsin Dells and Gary, IN had a child and placed it by the ocean.

I told my buddy (who resides in Houston) that I drove down there to check it out, he told me that I should get checked for AIDS.

Of course, it's all relative but that's a big drive for you...and personally, i wouldn't drive there from Houston ever again.

I have heard Kemah is very nice compared to Galveston.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)
I'll be painfully honest with you in my opinion, I went to Galveston for a couple of hours once, it is a cesspool. Very trashy. It's like Wisconsin Dells and Gary, IN had a child and placed it by the ocean.

I told my buddy (who resides in Houston) that I drove down there to check it out, he told me that I should get checked for AIDS.

Of course, it's all relative but that's a big drive for you...and personally, i wouldn't drive there from Houston ever again.

I have heard Kemah is very nice compared to Galveston.

I used to live in Webster a long time ago. I love it down there. We will take the ferry over to the Bolivar Peninsula, see NASA, go to a ball game in Houston etc. We'll probably rent a house on the Island.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 09:51 AM)
Combining a work trip into a long weekend in Boston and coastal Maine in a couple of weeks. Not the best season for it, but it lines up with my wife's spring break. Mainly looking to eat lots and lots of seafood.

One of my favorite memories of our last trip to Maine was eating a lobster boil from a gas station / camp store / laundry on a wooden picnic table next to the highway. It had all the charm and elegance of a Chicago dog from a street vendor and damn it was good.