Vacation/Travel Thread.

justBLAZE

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 06:59 AM)
If you don't go to Sam's number 3 you missed out. Best breakfast in Denver.

Go down to LoDo for dinner and there are tons of places to eat.

Hodson's and LoDo's were both absolutely delicious.

Denver on Super Bowl Weekend was the best trip ever.

3 weeks til Phoenix

So the wife and I are going to San Antonio next month. She's got a conference so I get to bum around for a few days and wait for her to be done. Anyone been down there before and have any idea of what to do? I was thinking of some golf if there's anything close by that I can take a cab or shuttle to. I was down there years ago with my parents but I was like 12. So I saw some of the sights and did the riverwalk thing, but didn't really see anything else down there.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 7, 2014 -> 09:33 AM)
So the wife and I are going to San Antonio next month. She's got a conference so I get to bum around for a few days and wait for her to be done. Anyone been down there before and have any idea of what to do? I was thinking of some golf if there's anything close by that I can take a cab or shuttle to. I was down there years ago with my parents but I was like 12. So I saw some of the sights and did the riverwalk thing, but didn't really see anything else down there.

I played TPC San Antonio, its located at the JW Marriott where i was staying. Awesome course and the BEST club rental experience I have ever had. Great course, good food.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
That makes me jealous

It's costing us more but with a lack of public transportation there we were forced to do that if we wanted to do it. Figured we probably werent going back to that area (if we do it'll be a long time) so it was worth the extra money to do it.

Our plan is looking like this:

Scotland/whiskey tour

London

Dublin

Prague

Paris

Belgium

Filling in a lot of places that we didnt see in our last trip out.

Girlfriend and I are traveling to Chicago on March 21st until 23rd. We are taking a train from St. Louis up there and staying downtown for a couple days. We are both 21 and haven't stayed downtown before but have been there a few times. I can find my away downtown on foot but we are going to the Bulls game that Saturday and will need to go from our hotel to the United Center which is a little over 3 miles away. We figured the best way to do that is the bus but we aren't sure how it works, how much it is, etc... Or if there is a better way to get there. Any tips would be great and also some restaurants we should go to. We are staying close to Millennium Park so some places to go that are within walking distance would be great!

Thanks guys!

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Feb 17, 2014 -> 11:13 PM)
Girlfriend and I are traveling to Chicago on March 21st until 23rd. We are taking a train from St. Louis up there and staying downtown for a couple days. We are both 21 and haven't stayed downtown before but have been there a few times. I can find my away downtown on foot but we are going to the Bulls game that Saturday and will need to go from our hotel to the United Center which is a little over 3 miles away. We figured the best way to do that is the bus but we aren't sure how it works, how much it is, etc... Or if there is a better way to get there. Any tips would be great and also some restaurants we should go to. We are staying close to Millennium Park so some places to go that are within walking distance would be great!

Thanks guys!

Bus would work, there isn't a good way there with the L without walking a bit.

Couple bus options:

Find your way to the 20, which is the Madison bus and will take you right to the doors. Should be 2.25 if using cash. Same 20 bus back going back into the city.

19 is a UC express bus, you can use this as well. Depending on where you are at and can pick it up and what time you leave, this would be quicker. Similar path to the 20. Try to use this 19 if possible.

http://www.transitchicago.com/riding_cta/b...spx?RouteId=325

http://www.transitchicago.com/travel_infor...ip_planner.aspx

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 17, 2014 -> 11:31 PM)
Bus would work, there isn't a good way there with the L without walking a bit. Find your way to the 20, which is the Madison bus and will take you right to the doors. Should be 2.25 if using cash. Same 20 bus back going back into the city.

19 is a UC express bus, you can use this as well. Depending on where you are at and can pick it up and what time you leave, this would be quicker. Similar path to the 20.

Thank you!! Its a 7 o'clock game so we are planning on getting there as soon as the doors open if possible. Only been to one Bulls game in my life and wanted to look around the UC. Does the 20 bus stop close to the Fairmont Millennium Hotel?

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 12:13 AM)

Thanks guys!

Have you ever used Uber? If you use their UberX service, it's cheaper than a taxi and generally better service. At least that's how it is in Atlanta. I take it to/from the bars and it costs me $6 to go about 3 miles.

I noticed Uber doesn't offer service in St. Louis, so you might not be too familiar. But I figured it's still a good heads up for anyone else reading this thread who doesn't know much about it.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Feb 17, 2014 -> 11:37 PM)
Have you ever used Uber? If you use their UberX service, it's cheaper than a taxi and generally better service. At least that's how it is in Atlanta. I take it to/from the bars and it costs me $6 to go about 3 miles.

I noticed Uber doesn't offer service in St. Louis, so you might not be too familiar. But I figured it's still a good heads up for anyone else reading this thread who doesn't know much about it.

I have never heard of it.. I looked it up and checked the fair and it would be $8-9 which is pretty good. How does it work exactly?

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Feb 17, 2014 -> 11:35 PM)
Thank you!! Its a 7 o'clock game so we are planning on getting there as soon as the doors open if possible. Only been to one Bulls game in my life and wanted to look around the UC. Does the 20 bus stop close to the Fairmont Millennium Hotel?

You'll use the 20 if you go that early.

Hopefully this works...you are the mark on here. You walk a bit south to Madison, and a bit west to Wabash. About a half mile walk. You'll see the M symbol at that intersection as it's also an L stop. So yeah, pretty close.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en-US&i...mp;ved=0CEIQ_BI

Gates should be open 90 minutes before tip.

Be careful with uber in chicago, I believe their rates flex depending on availability/time.

If you dont want a bus, the green line gets you close enough to walk to the building. Since its march, bus should be fine, download the cta app so that you can make sure you get to the bus before its there and you should have no problems. After the game, I usually walk a bit east towards the city and eventually find a cab. Thats why people pay for uber, but i just dont want you to get a $50 bill.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 12:03 AM)
Be careful with uber in chicago, I believe their rates flex depending on availability/time.

If you dont want a bus, the green line gets you close enough to walk to the building. Since its march, bus should be fine, download the cta app so that you can make sure you get to the bus before its there and you should have no problems. After the game, I usually walk a bit east towards the city and eventually find a cab. Thats why people pay for uber, but i just dont want you to get a $50 bill.

Yeah I was looking at reviews and a lot of people complained about that. I would rather not get screwed with a big fare.

Is the CTA app pretty spot on about times? Bus seems like the cheapest and maybe easiest way.. I know you can get a taxi but not really a fan and they get expensive..

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 12:45 AM)
I have never heard of it.. I looked it up and checked the fair and it would be $8-9 which is pretty good. How does it work exactly?

It's an app you download on your phone. Create an account, add credit card info, and you're good to go. They don't accept tips (it's built into the fare) and when you get to your destination, they automatically charge the card on file. So you never have to have cash/card on you. As long as you have your phone, you're good to go. It uses your phone's GPS to find your location and the driver has a GPS in the car which navigates them to you. It's actually really simple.

As for hiked up fares, the app explicitly tells you if you'll get charged a higher than normal fare. I've heard people complain about it, but it's their own fault for accepting the high charge. For instance, you'll hit the "Request Uber" button and normally that's it. But if there is some sort of rate hike, then it will say something like "Uber is currently in high demand, and as such, fare will be 2x the normal fee." At this point, you can still hit "yes" or "no" to whether you want the ride or not.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 12:09 AM)
Yeah I was looking at reviews and a lot of people complained about that. I would rather not get screwed with a big fare.

Is the CTA app pretty spot on about times? Bus seems like the cheapest and maybe easiest way.. I know you can get a taxi but not really a fan and they get expensive..

It's usually pretty good. Even if you don't download the app, you can just use the cta bus tracker. You pick the route, direction, and stop, and you'll see what buses are due as far as I think 25 minutes out.

http://www.ctabustracker.com/bustime/home.jsp

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 12:03 AM)

It warns you before the fares go up and its usually during times like big events or a horrible rush hour. Uber is the best thing ever.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 17, 2014 -> 11:31 PM)
Bus would work, there isn't a good way there with the L without walking a bit.

Couple bus options:

Find your way to the 20, which is the Madison bus and will take you right to the doors. Should be 2.25 if using cash. Same 20 bus back going back into the city.

19 is a UC express bus, you can use this as well. Depending on where you are at and can pick it up and what time you leave, this would be quicker. Similar path to the 20. Try to use this 19 if possible.

He can pick you up on the way there too, BONUS.