Vacation/Travel Thread.

justBLAZE

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 08:31 AM)
It warns you before the fares go up and its usually during times like big events or a horrible rush hour. Uber is the best thing ever.

If you use uber a lot you may know that. But if its his first time I thought I should warn him.

And its actually terrible. Its convenient, but they just rip people off. Theyll say "oh this wasnt uber" then you pay and then you get charged as well. Ive used the service a lot, Ive just had multiple bad experiences since they switched from "black car" to taxi. Ive also seen completely different charges then what they claim.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
If you use uber a lot you may know that. But if its his first time I thought I should warn him.

And its actually terrible. Its convenient, but they just rip people off. Theyll say "oh this wasnt uber" then you pay and then you get charged as well. Ive used the service a lot, Ive just had multiple bad experiences since they switched from "black car" to taxi. Ive also seen completely different charges then what they claim.

That sucks you've had bad experiences. I use Uber all the time and not once have I been dissatisfied with the service or price.

The only minor issue I ever had was one time I had a driver tell me that Uber was charging a $10 cash fee in addition to the normal fare, but I called his bluff because I knew Uber wouldn't do something like that. You just have to be smart about it.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)

I've had one bad experience and they gave me all my money back. I use black car 100% of the time and I cant recommend it more. Its awesome.

I probably used the service about 50 times last year. It feels like half of those times someone I was friends with had a complaint about how they were billed.

Like I said, I have no problem using it, I just dont consider it a cheap option. Id rather walk a few blocks east, get a drink or 2, then catch a regular cab. Probably similar cost.

edit

Black car service is different than the taxis. The taxis seem to always be shady. Ive never had black car go bad, but its also more expensive.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)
I probably used the service about 50 times last year. It feels like half of those times someone I was friends with had a complaint about how they were billed.

Like I said, I have no problem using it, I just dont consider it a cheap option. Id rather walk a few blocks east, get a drink or 2, then catch a regular cab. Probably similar cost.

edit

Black car service is different than the taxis. The taxis seem to always be shady. Ive never had black car go bad, but its also more expensive.

Its definitely not a low cost option, especially since I never use the taxi service. Its more convenience + not needing cash. I live out in Oak Park so I use it quite a bit to get into the city or to the airport. Their customer service with black cars is great, with Taxis is non-existant. The taxis have an interest in making the service look terrible since they are suing Uber.

Girlfriend and I are traveling to Chicago on March 21st until 23rd. We are taking a train from St. Louis up there and staying downtown for a couple days. We are both 21 and haven't stayed downtown before but have been there a few times. I can find my away downtown on foot but we are going to the Bulls game that Saturday and will need to go from our hotel to the United Center which is a little over 3 miles away. We figured the best way to do that is the bus but we aren't sure how it works, how much it is, etc... Or if there is a better way to get there. Any tips would be great and also some restaurants we should go to. We are staying close to Millennium Park so some places to go that are within walking distance would be great!

Thanks guys!

If you don't mind walking a few blocks on each end, Blue Line is the easiest way to get there.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
We get there on a Friday so we will have to see how far the green and blue line are.. How close do they get to the United Center?

Green line at Morgan is about a 15 minute walk. There are bars on Madison on the way there.

I would avoid the blue line, especially after the game in that area.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 01:57 PM)
Green line at Morgan is about a 15 minute walk. There are bars on Madison on the way there.

Green line will drop him at Damen (I think) or Ashland as well. To be 100% honest, he should go down to Crossroads or something early and take the free shuttle to the UC. ALmost every bar in the West Loop area has a free shuttle to and from the United center going every 10-20 min. Really underrated.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
Green line will drop him at Damen (I think) or Ashland as well. To be 100% honest, he should go down to Crossroads or something early and take the free shuttle to the UC. ALmost every bar in the West Loop area has a free shuttle to and from the United center going every 10-20 min. Really underrated.

When does the free shuttle begin and also how far is Crossroads from Millennium Park? We are honestly looking for the safest and easiest way to get there and back. We aren't big city people so whatever is the easiest. I trust you guys. lol

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 03:20 PM)
When does the free shuttle begin and also how far is Crossroads from Millennium Park? We are honestly looking for the safest and easiest way to get there and back. We aren't big city people so whatever is the easiest. I trust you guys. lol

Taxi.

Seriously, it can't be more than $15 bucks from downtown.

QUOTE (SnB @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 02:25 PM)
Taxi.

Seriously, it can't be more than $15 bucks from downtown.

I would be fine with it but my girlfriend really doesn't like taxi's and I am not a big fan either and there are cheaper alternatives

It is only 3 miles so I can't imagine it being that much.

Edited by BigHurt3515

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 02:27 PM)
I would be fine with it but my girlfriend really doesn't like taxi's and I am not a big fan either and there are cheaper alternatives

It is only 3 miles so I can't imagine it being that much.

Then make it easy, just use the 20 Madison bus there and back, runs up and down Madison and drops you off at the UC. After the game, there will be buses lined up waiting to take a ton of fans back that way. Can't miss it.

If you decide you want to go to Crossroads, you can get off the 20, eat/drink, and either get back on the 20, walk (it is safe and you'll have a lot of people walking with you), or take the free shuttle from Crossroads (or any other bar on Madison).

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 02:20 PM)

Millenium park is all the way to the east side of chicago. Chicago is an easy grid system with 100's being a city block. Madison is the zero North/South mark and State st is the 0 from east to west. The UC is on Damen which is 2000 west or 20 blocks west of State st on Madison. You can take the 20 bus right there at Michigan and Madison and go all the way to the UC or on your way once you pass Morgan (1000 west) you will start to see bars like Old 5th, Beer bistro, Crossroads, Third Rail, and even further, West End. You can get off that bus at anytime and those bars will have a shuttle. They will announce when its about to leave and they can take you back to the bar afterwards from the madison ST entrance at the UC.

Crossroads is my personal favorite since I know everyone but any of those places is a good bet. There are also some of the best restaurants in the country 2 blocks north on randolph st if thats your thing. The area is very nice and safe.

Yep, you can't risk walking to the blue line. There are black people on the way there. Most of them will look at you, and a couple might even say hi to you.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
Then make it easy, just use the 20 Madison bus there and back, runs up and down Madison and drops you off at the UC. After the game, there will be buses lined up waiting to take a ton of fans back that way. Can't miss it.

If you decide you want to go to Crossroads, you can get off the 20, eat/drink, and either get back on the 20, walk (it is safe and you'll have a lot of people walking with you), or take the free shuttle from Crossroads (or any other bar on Madison).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
Millenium park is all the way to the east side of chicago. Chicago is an easy grid system with 100's being a city block. Madison is the zero North/South mark and State st is the 0 from east to west. The UC is on Damen which is 2000 west or 20 blocks west of State st on Madison. You can take the 20 bus right there at Michigan and Madison and go all the way to the UC or on your way once you pass Morgan (1000 west) you will start to see bars like Old 5th, Beer bistro, Crossroads, Third Rail, and even further, West End. You can get off that bus at anytime and those bars will have a shuttle. They will announce when its about to leave and they can take you back to the bar afterwards from the madison ST entrance at the UC.

Crossroads is my personal favorite since I know everyone but any of those places is a good bet. There are also some of the best restaurants in the country 2 blocks north on randolph st if thats your thing. The area is very nice and safe.

Thanks guys! Seems like 20 bus will be the best bet and easiest.

Rock, we will be looking for a good restaurant to eat at on Friday night.. We are burger type people, any suggestions on a good burger place downtown?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
Yep, you can't risk walking to the blue line. There are black people on the way there. Most of them will look at you, and a couple might even say hi to you.

Yeah, let's tell a guy from out of town to take a way that isn't as safe as some of the other alternatives. Great advice!

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 04:13 PM)
Thanks guys! Seems like 20 bus will be the best bet and easiest.

Rock, we will be looking for a good restaurant to eat at on Friday night.. We are burger type people, any suggestions on a good burger place downtown?

The best burger near downtown IMO is at Au Cheval on randolph and Halsted, however its gotten super super busy these days. There are just tons of options to eat, and most of them wont be close to your hotel since thats a pretty pricey touristy area. But for those areas I would say M Burger and Howells and Hood http://www.zagat.com/r/howells-hood-chicago. They both have pretty mean burgers/brews. Howells is near the Mag Mile so good place to stop over when shopping. However it will be pricier than you are used to.

For the best pizza near Mil Park I would say its Pizano's http://www.pizanoschicago.com/.

s*** I have tons of suggestions this isnt even scraping the surface to be honest.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 18, 2014 -> 06:13 PM)
The best burger near downtown IMO is at Au Cheval on randolph and Halsted, however its gotten super super busy these days. There are just tons of options to eat, and most of them wont be close to your hotel since thats a pretty pricey touristy area. But for those areas I would say M Burger and Howells and Hood http://www.zagat.com/r/howells-hood-chicago. They both have pretty mean burgers/brews. Howells is near the Mag Mile so good place to stop over when shopping. However it will be pricier than you are used to.

For the best pizza near Mil Park I would say its Pizano's http://www.pizanoschicago.com/.

s*** I have tons of suggestions this isnt even scraping the surface to be honest.

If we were going to be there more then 2 days I would say we would need all the suggestions you have lol..

If the weather isn't to bad we will probably go up to the "Mag Mile" so Howells and Hood might be what we go for on Friday.. We expect it to be busy and pricey with being in Chicago so its alright if you have pricier suggestions. We will look into them and decide!