8/27 White Sox at Orioles

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Always seems like there gets to be more WCIU games the later into the season we get. There the only games I can't watch and it sucks.

I would think that April-May would get more games on WCIU due to overlap with the NBA and NHL seasons.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 27, 2012 -> 12:05 PM)
I would think that April-May would get more games on WCIU due to overlap with the NBA and NHL seasons.

That would seem to make sense but looking at the schedule, April had 4, May had 3, June had 2, July had 4, August has 5 and Sept/Oct has 7 including 3 in the final week. So 13 total in the first four months of the season and 12 total in the last two. I've never understood why games were on WCIU anyways. Doesn't that severely limit their market?

That would seem to make sense but looking at the schedule, April had 4, May had 3, June had 2, July had 4, August has 5 and Sept/Oct has 7 including 3 in the final week. So 13 total in the first four months of the season and 12 total in the last two. I've never understood why games were on WCIU anyways. Doesn't that severely limit their market?

This is entirely speculation, but I'm going to guess that most, if not all of the WCIU games are games that are the exact same time as Cubs games, meaning that the ratings expectation is quite a bit lower than for the average Sox game. CSN may have agreed to let WCIU buy the rights to those games, and in doing so, WCIU gets leverage in trying to get their station on more cable/satellite systems.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 27, 2012 -> 01:45 PM)
This is entirely speculation, but I'm going to guess that most, if not all of the WCIU games are games that are the exact same time as Cubs games, meaning that the ratings expectation is quite a bit lower than for the average Sox game. CSN may have agreed to let WCIU buy the rights to those games, and in doing so, WCIU gets leverage in trying to get their station on more cable/satellite systems.

Well the Cubs only have 8 WCIU games, as opposed to the 25 for the Sox. Maybe it's in the Cubs deal with WGN to have more games? I read today that the Sox have had higher TV ratings than the Cubs this year anyway.