Is Hawk one of the all time greats?

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 28, 2012 -> 08:31 PM)
I like Stone, but he's put on a God level just because he's even-keeled and speaks in absolutes. He kills me by frequently calling pitches incorrectly. The best thing he does is hit you with some dry humor when you're not ready for it and the next best thing he does is narrate some of the things that Hawk would be too pissed to say. Gimme some Darrin Jackson, he ended up being a great match for Hawk by the end of his run. Now DJ is stinking up our radio broadcast, the only redeeming quality of which is the frequent awkward back and forth between Farmer and DJ
Wimpy made the best partner of Hawk by far I think, and DJ, though he may be a nice guy was lousy on TV. I do not listen to the Sox radio broadcasts. Farmer is not a good PBP guy, but the Rooney and Farmer team was one of the best. This is just a topic that is highly subjective in nature.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to enjoy Hawk, now I think he has fallen into a parody of himself. Would much rather have someone who's objective and willing to place blame on players not performing or doing the wrong things rather than complaining about umpires and refuses to let it go. The guys over in Milwaukee, Oakland and Tampa set a fine example. Hell, I consider Brenly to be one of the most knowledgeable broadcasters in the game.

Our radio broadcasts are by far the worst though.

Edited by Sockin

It will be a terrible day when Hawk walks away from the booth.

He may be a huge homer but as a Sox fan I am too. He is the heart of our fanbase & how many times have you caught yourself saying his catch phrases along with him during a game? For me its damn near every game I watch haha.

Hell he has probably brought more money to the WhiteSox from tshirts/sweatshirts with his catch phrases on it that sell than the actual merchandise marketing team & the tshirts/sweatshirts that they create.

Slap one of Hawks catch phrases on a merchandise & they sell like hotcakes around DIE HARD Sox fans.

f*** off with the you're not a real fan if you don't like Hawk. Did you need to love Ron Santo to be a true Cubs fan? At least he was just a color guy. I watch the games with the sound off because he literally adds nothing to them and his voice is grating.

QUOTE (zirc @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
f*** off with the you're not a real fan if you don't like Hawk. Did you need to love Ron Santo to be a true Cubs fan? At least he was just a color guy. I watch the games with the sound off because he literally adds nothing to them and his voice is grating.

Actually, I think you DID need to love Ron Santo to be a true Cubbie fan.

Hawk is a legend but he isn't a great announcer. I hated Red Kerr his last few years announcing but I surprisingly missed him after he left even though Stacey King is hilarious. When Hawk finally hangs them up, the White Sox games will definitely be a lot less fun to watch if nothing else.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
Hawk is a legend but he isn't a great announcer. I hated Red Kerr his last few years announcing but I surprisingly missed him after he left even though Stacey King is hilarious. When Hawk finally hangs them up, the White Sox games will definitely be a lot less fun to watch if nothing else.

Oddly the hawk is play by play and very colorful. While Stone Pony is the color analyst but he is less colorful than hawk. But I like stone's quips.

I like them both. Is this the best combination or do they do well together? Probably not the best chemistry but good enough since both are good at what they do.

And they both are homers. Just hawk is a more vocal homer. Lol.

The thing people forget when they say Hawk is a homer is he also rips the White Sox. Yes, a MLB announcer who criticizes the team that pays him. Folks ... all the other teams employ broadcasters WHO NEVER RIP THEIR OWN TEAM. The Sox radio team can be critical as well. And I hear the Cub announcers may do it. So outside of Chicago, you get TRUE HOMERS cause they own't rip the teams they work for.

I never hear Hawk get any props for being critical. Ask announcers of other teams if they'd even consider ripping the home team. The answer is no. Long live Hawk, Stone, Farmer and DJ and Melton.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 11:05 PM)
The thing people forget when they say Hawk is a homer is he also rips the White Sox. Yes, a MLB announcer who criticizes the team that pays him. Folks ... all the other teams employ broadcasters WHO NEVER RIP THEIR OWN TEAM. The Sox radio team can be critical as well. And I hear the Cub announcers may do it. So outside of Chicago, you get TRUE HOMERS cause they own't rip the teams they work for.

I never hear Hawk get any props for being critical. Ask announcers of other teams if they'd even consider ripping the home team. The answer is no. Long live Hawk, Stone, Farmer and DJ and Melton.

The best combination in my time was probably Hawk and Drysdale, when I was a kid. Hawk and Wimpy were very good as well. DJ and Farmer are absolutely brutal. Plus they flirt with each other in this strange homo erotic way that makes me want to puke. Melton can't even pronounce half of the players names right (e.g. "Sales") and is basically a hack. Hawk and Stone haven't bonded like we thought they would, probably because Hawk's ego is about the size of Wyoming.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 02:28 AM)
The best combination in my time was probably Hawk and Drysdale, when I was a kid. Hawk and Wimpy were very good as well. DJ and Farmer are absolutely brutal. Plus they flirt with each other in this strange homo erotic way that makes me want to puke. Melton can't even pronounce half of the players names right (e.g. "Sales") and is basically a hack. Hawk and Stone haven't bonded like we thought they would, probably because Hawk's ego is about the size of Wyoming.

Either DJ and Farmer are the best friends in the world, or they absolutely hate each other. I can't decide which. The chemistry between them is so odd.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 08:00 AM)
Either DJ and Farmer are the best friends in the world, or they absolutely hate each other. I can't decide which. The chemistry between them is so odd.

I listen to almost every game on the radio and I think this nearly every night. It's really intriguing for me.

Ok, i'll bite at this...

hawk is awful, plain and simple. i don't care that this is his sixth decade in professional baseball and that insert player's name is the best he's ever seen. last night he said salvador perez was the best young catcher to come into this league in a long time....pretty sure he said the same thing about carlos santana 2 years ago. he's making sox games unbearable to watch with his dumb catch phrases and repetitive stories about ted williams and yaz ...can't wait till this asshat retires.

I love the Hawk, I get how he would be annoying to others and sometimes he over uses his hawkisms but I get a chuckle every now and then during his PBP, he is a very funny guy...some of his lines have rubbed off on me, my brother plays baseball in an amatuer league and I'll be in the stands and when an opposing hitter hits a line drive down the foul line and I'll yell out "get foul, it will, thank you!" or when someone strikes out I'll say "he gone!" :lolhitting

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 08:56 AM)
Perez is good, upcoming player. Hawk is right again! Also don't forget that hawk rants against crappy umps. That is fun.

And he is the best at coming up with player nicknames. I am studying to

Become as good as Hawkeroo with nicks.

The Big Hurt, One Dog, Blackjack, El Cabello, the

Milkman, Tank, the Silent Assassin, The Deacon

Biggin

I don't think there's really anything between Farmio & DJ. They seem like friends. Farmio however is a competitor & I think he feels like he has to get back on offense sometimes which makes it sound a little odd. Can't blame him though as DJ just absolutely buries him with his quips.

There is a definite personality clash though with DJ being an easy going, fun loving, witty little gigglebunny and Farmio having that dry, dickish sarcasm. Also DJ generally likes to make his point without burying anyone (unless it's Valverde) while Farmio OTOH loves to hop on his pedestal & make his harsh declarations about how the game is supposed to be played. DJ once said on the radio that the players call Farmio "The Judge." Hmm, wonder why?

Anyway, apples & oranges but I think they work well together. Love me some DJ.

QUOTE (Jbabs34 @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)
Ok, i'll bite at this...

hawk is awful, plain and simple. i don't care that this is his sixth decade in professional baseball and that insert player's name is the best he's ever seen. last night he said salvador perez was the best young catcher to come into this league in a long time....pretty sure he said the same thing about carlos santana 2 years ago. he's making sox games unbearable to watch with his dumb catch phrases and repetitive stories about ted williams and yaz ...can't wait till this asshat retires.

In your opinion...

I've converted several people at my college to become White Sox (and baseball, even) fans based a great deal on Hawk Harrelson. They love watching games when he's broadcasting and they are always disappointed when the Sox are on a national broadcast. If my girlfriend misses a game, she always wants me to play her the home run highlights so she can hear the call. He's fun, get over it.

QUOTE (Jbabs34 @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)
Ok, i'll bite at this...

That drove me nuts too. His f***ing superlatives are always so over the top. Everybody is the best ever. "I've never seen anybody play like well. Other than Yaz". Maybe Hawk just doesn't watch the NL and know about a young catcher in the Bay area who may win the NL MVP.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 11:34 AM)
That drove me nuts too. His f***ing superlatives are always so over the top. Everybody is the best ever. "I've never seen anybody play like well. Other than Yaz". Maybe Hawk just doesn't watch the NL and know about a young catcher in the Bay area who may win the NL MVP.

Or maybe that's a different league.