AL Central Magic Number Thread

LittleHurt05

Chris Sale at USCF this season.

9-2, 1.72 ERA

83 2/3 IP, 57 hits, 80 K's.

Let's get back in the win column.

Meanwhile, the Tigers will be able to set the trend starting one hour earlier Monday night, but we have the "infamous" Kevin Youkilis/Yom Kippur Tuesday afternoon outing to put up a W on the board early and pressure DEE-TROIT.

Dodgers didn't exactly write their own playoff ticket with that huge trade, after all. And look out, but the Brewers and Angels are well positioned in the final 10 days to make a run at WC spots and take that momentum into the playoffs right with them.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 08:32 PM)
Coolstandings:

Tigers 51.5%

White Sox 48.5%

Just my own observation...Tigers 70%, White Sox 30%

I'm sorry, but anyone who doesn't see this season going down the toilet in a hurry isn't paying attention. Those simulations that even give the Sox a chance are based on longer term play. This team is D-E-A-D. My guess is they will finish 3-5 games back.

Tampa Bay is currently 3 games behind the A's.

Let's hope the Rays lose and A's win on Wednesday so it's a 4 game lead for the WC going into that HUGE four game series at USCF.

2 game lead, and the Rays will be playing with just as much, if not more, motivation than the Angels this past weekend.

The Angels are now only 2 1/2 games behind, having won 3 in a row.....and the A's still have 4 games with the Rangers left, with SEATTLE sandwiched in between over the weekend.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 04:21 AM)

Let's hope the Rays lose and A's win on Wednesday so it's a 4 game lead for the WC going into that HUGE four game series at USCF.

2 game lead, and the Rays will be playing with just as much, if not more, motivation than the Angels this past weekend.

The Angels are now only 2 1/2 games behind, having won 3 in a row.....and the A's still have 4 games with the Rangers left, with SEATTLE sandwiched in between over the weekend.

I just don't think motivation matters. Cleveland, KC?? It's all about the White Sox. The Sox haven't exactly looked motivated of late. I think that's just mumbo-jumbo. Play ball.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 09:21 PM)

It's funny how all these teams we play seem to have motivation. Why can't our team play with the same motivation?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 04:31 AM)
It's funny how all these teams we play seem to have motivation. Why can't our team play with the same motivation?

I don't know. But the last word I think of when I watch the Sox play is motivated (on a consistent basis). Adam Dunn looked godlike last night but this team has lost six of seven now.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 10:52 PM)
I'm sorry, but anyone who doesn't see this season going down the toilet in a hurry isn't paying attention. Those simulations that even give the Sox a chance are based on longer term play. This team is D-E-A-D. My guess is they will finish 3-5 games back.

The offense is just done. Too many injuries and mental cases right now. The 2/3/4/ in the line up have basically been non-existent during September.

Everything up until now is irrelevant - this is now a new season. An 8 game season, in a 2 team division.

Sox have 5 at home and 3 on the road, DET has 2 and home and 6 on the road. But the Sox have 4 against TB, to go with 4 against CLE. DET gets KC x5 and MIN x3. Sox have Sale and Peavy maybe hitting a wall, but DET has Verlander and Scherzer hurting.

TONIGHT... Detroit runs Porcello out there, their weakest link in the rotation, against Guthrie, who has a 1.75 ERA in his last 9 games. Sox run out Santiago, kind of a wild card but CLE struggles vs lefties, against Masterson (4.15 ERA vs Sox this year). ON PAPER, this looks like the best chance the Sox may have for a while to pick up a game.

Sox remaining pitchers: Santiago vs CLE // Peavy, Floyd, Sale, ??? (Quintana or Liriano) vs TB // ???, ???, ??? vs CLE (won't be Sale or whomever starts Sunday)

Tigers remaining pitchers: Porcello, Fister vs KC // Scherzer, Verlander, Sanchez vs MIN // Porcello, Fister, Scherzer vs KC

For a potential Game 163: Verlander vs Sale, in Detroit

Can't really say the Sox problem is motivation. We're a high SLG team with low OBP. When you sign up for that, you know there will be droughts. We're hitting one at a bad time. It's difficult to face as a fan, but talent trumps motivation concerns in a playoff race. You can't get your neat reasoning for lack of production in a situation like this.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 11:31 PM)

I persoanlly don't see a lack of motivation. I just see a brutal slump at the wrong time. Youkilis has been banged up all year and is playing like he did in Boston. Konerko has slumped since he reached .399. Adam Dunn is Adam Dunn, you get homers, you get strikeouts. Rios carried the team for a while, he can't play like that forever. AJP has had a career year overall. Viciedo is still young and unable to hit righties consistently.

The pitching stuff is tired too, but they are keeping the team in games, but the offense isn't scoring enough.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 09:47 AM)
I persoanlly don't see a lack of motivation. I just see a brutal slump at the wrong time. Youkilis has been banged up all year and is playing like he did in Boston. Konerko has slumped since he reached .399. Adam Dunn is Adam Dunn, you get homers, you get strikeouts. Rios carried the team for a while, he can't play like that forever. AJP has had a career year overall. Viciedo is still young and unable to hit righties consistently.

The pitching stuff is tired too, but they are keeping the team in games, but the offense isn't scoring enough.

This 100%. It's not a motivation problem. This team is just out of gas.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 07:35 AM)
Everything up until now is irrelevant - this is now a new season. An 8 game season, in a 2 team division.

Sox have 5 at home and 3 on the road, DET has 2 and home and 6 on the road. But the Sox have 4 against TB, to go with 4 against CLE. DET gets KC x5 and MIN x3. Sox have Sale and Peavy maybe hitting a wall, but DET has Verlander and Scherzer hurting.

TONIGHT... Detroit runs Porcello out there, their weakest link in the rotation, against Guthrie, who has a 1.75 ERA in his last 9 games. Sox run out Santiago, kind of a wild card but CLE struggles vs lefties, against Masterson (4.15 ERA vs Sox this year). ON PAPER, this looks like the best chance the Sox may have for a while to pick up a game.

Sox remaining pitchers: Santiago vs CLE // Peavy, Floyd, Sale, ??? (Quintana or Liriano) vs TB // ???, ???, ??? vs CLE (won't be Sale or whomever starts Sunday)

Tigers remaining pitchers: Porcello, Fister vs KC // Scherzer, Verlander, Sanchez vs MIN // Porcello, Fister, Scherzer vs KC

For a potential Game 163: Verlander vs Sale, in Detroit

Verlander is hurting? You mean in his road performances for much of the 2nd half, because his stuff is fine...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 08:48 AM)
This 100%. It's not a motivation problem. This team is just out of gas.

Peavy, Sale, Quintana, Reed and Jones pushed about as far as they can go, especially the first 3. Liriano continues to be a basket case. Floyd's not far behind him. Santiago is one of the few fresh and impressive arms on the team left standing, along with Veal and Omogrosso, who's recorded some huge outs for this team down the stretch.

Youk and Konerko banged up, Crain off and on/on and off for much of the season.

DeAza dinged up psychologically by his defensive miscues and no longer confident in CF or on the basepaths.

Alexei and AJ peaked early and coming back to earth.

We had one of the weakest benches of any team in baseball. There was no easy way to rest Youk, Alexei or Beckham without a big defensive fall-off, and let's not get started on what Olmedo and Jose Lopez did in critical games down the stretch.

KW had a chance to address this in July and August, and failed to do so.

AJ was really ridden hard all season and the only reason Flowers got some time to prove himself was a rare AJ injury.

Wise's hot streak alone can't cover up for all those issues, or Veal's amazing effectiveness in the 2nd half.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 12:00 PM)
We had one of the weakest benches of any team in baseball. There was no easy way to rest Youk, Alexei or Beckham without a big defensive fall-off, and let's not get started on what Olmedo and Jose Lopez did in critical games down the stretch.

KW had a chance to address this in July and August, and failed to do so.

He had to trade away half his bench to get Youkilis & Liriano.