AJ Did Not Test Positive; No Story Here

flavum

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:44 AM)
We're quoting anonymous WSI posters now?

If AJ tested positive for anything it's Flintstone vitamins & a positive mental attitude.

However, if this is somehow true, and someone involved in the process has indeed framed AJ and made him incorrectly test positive, then it'll be fun to watch all the Sox fans out there call for AJ's departure in order to go with Flowers, who has of course always been clean.

This poster is trying to make sure everyone remembers Tyler Flowers served a 50 game suspension for testing positive for PEDs while in the Atlanta Braves system.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If AJ tested positive for anything it's Flintstone vitamins & a positive mental attitude.

However, if this is somehow true, and someone involved in the process has indeed framed AJ and made him incorrectly test positive, then it'll be fun to watch all the Sox fans out there call for AJ's departure in order to go with Flowers, who has of course always been clean.

Sometimes they will say something completely ridiculous and are wrong(mrfantasyexpert), sometimes they will say something completely ridiculous and be right(k0na)

Maybe its true, but I would think if the Score knows, no way they don't report it, and if they know, no way no other news outlet knows and it doesn't get leaked.

AJ hits a career high in homers at the age of 35. That is suspicious, but supposedly he's doing a lot of lifting these days. Carlton Fisk hit a career high in homers when he was 37.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 12:44 PM)

Who let greg have two screen names?

Flowers did test positive back in like 2008 or something. I remember when KW traded Vazquez for him people complaining about it. I have been wondering about this for a while. The big thing for me is that AJ started throwing guys out stealing, where last year he couldn't throw guys out stealing even in a pitch out. IMO catchers don't just magically gain that ability at age 35 when they have been bad at it their whole career.

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:51 AM)
Flowers did test positive back in like 2008 or something. I remember when KW traded Vazquez for him people complaining about it. I have been wondering about this for a while. The big thing for me is that he started throwing guys out stealing, where last year he couldn't throw guys out stealing even in a pitch out. IMO catchers don't just magically gain that ability at age 35 when they have been bad at it their whole career.

They made the pitchers start looking at the runners. He's not throwing any better. He just has a chance now.

It would be very disappointing, but as many have already said, not exactly surprising.

I suppose it's possible to have a (big) spike in power numbers, even at age 35. Hopefully it is just a very good year for him, and this whole thing disappears.

As far as the rumor of him testing positive and currently appealing it, wouldn't we have heard about that by now? When Braun tested positive, we heard right away.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:55 AM)
As far as the rumor of him testing positive and currently appealing it, wouldn't we have heard about that by now? When Braun tested positive, we heard right away.

No, usually when the player loses the appeal, the suspension is announced. Braun's case was unusual, hence why he got off.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:48 AM)
Sometimes they will say something completely ridiculous and are wrong(mrfantasyexpert), sometimes they will say something completely ridiculous and be right(k0na)

Exactly. It might or might not be true, but it is now "out there". You can judge for yourself what to think of it until the story breaks, or doesn't break.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:53 AM)
They made the pitchers start looking at the runners. He's not throwing any better. He just has a chance now.

OK. That is a plausible explanation. I never really thought that Ozzie and Cooper would be so stupid as to have their pitchers not pay attention to the runners at all.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:51 AM)
Flowers did test positive back in like 2008 or something. I remember when KW traded Vazquez for him people complaining about it. I have been wondering about this for a while. The big thing for me is that he started throwing guys out stealing, where last year he couldn't throw guys out stealing even in a pitch out. IMO catchers don't just magically gain that ability at age 35 when they have been bad at it their whole career.

The pitchers have been a little better this year & AJ has improved his release. He's still not very good at throwing out runners but when the pitchers keep the runners a little closer it helps a lot. AJ's quicker getting the ball out of his hands but that's more footwork and setup. I don't see any indication that his arm is stronger or anything like that.

Lots of players throughout sports are on performance enhancing drugs. It's all nothing but blurry lines anyway. You can load up on roids & it's not going to help you like adding cadaver parts/pieces of metal/vision correction etc. will, let alone what you can do with stem cells these days. If a player takes a banned substance he's just taking one thing considered to be illegal out of a thousand other drugs/supplements/procedures/etc. that are equally unnatural and designed to add an edge to performance. Where I'm going with this is that if this is true (and of course AJ would be framed anyway, he never **really** gave himself any unfair advantage & I'd take that to my grave & you should too with me being the expert I am on these things) then we've got 2 catchers who have tested positive and probably a good number of players on our team who just aren't getting caught. Baseball is a tough game to play and you can't finger the "cheaters" based on numbers necessarily; just because a player is having a great year now on a banned substance doesn't mean he wasn't still on the same banned substance a couple seasons ago when he, for one example, had a miserable first half.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 12:00 PM)
Honestly, I do. They have a lot to lose if it ends up being false.

I agree with you. Not to mention if someone reported it early, it would likely ruin their relationship with the White Sox and/or MLB permanently (see Mark Gonzalez)

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 12:06 PM)
I agree with you. Not to mention if someone reported it early, it would likely ruin their relationship with the White Sox and/or MLB permanently (see Mark Gonzalez)

I agree with both of you. Like I said earlier, I have been wondering about this for a while, but have just kept the conversation between my friends. Even if I heard this info I wouldn't post it on a message board either. There could be legal things that could happen to this person if in fact it is false. For that reason alone, why does this thread even exist?