AJ Did Not Test Positive; No Story Here

flavum

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 09:22 AM)
You took the rumor of a guy on the street internet poster and said "it doesn't look good." Sorry if I didn't take the bait, and if people at USCF like jenksismyb**** reported were saying it was true with a press conference today, when the White Sox didn't even know about, you know there are people who want this to be true. You would have to be very naive to think there aren't posters on here who are dissappointed this isn't true.

First, I said in today's baseball world where positive drug tests are coming out way too frequently, combined with the power surge at age 35, there was a lot going against AJ. That DOES NOT mean I hoped it was true.

Second, Jenks talking about the press conference was a potential reason he came up with why it may not have been announced yet, he never connected it to the sources that were claiming that they heard AJ tested positive. So stop trying to connect those two.

If there are posters here who would be disappointed then they sure as hell haven't posted yet.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 09:25 AM)
You've officially lost your mind. I know you are the defender of lost causes, but this is just ridiculous. Not a single person has remotely said anything that could even be wrongly interpreted that way. Not being surprised does not equal hoping it is true.

I don't agree with you. Some posters here above all else appear to me to want to be right in their arguements much more than they want the sox to prosper.

Btw I am not talking about anyone particular. This is the only page of this thread I have read asside from the first.

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 06:32 AM)
Considering the origin of this entire thread was from what someone heard from a friend who works at the Score and now the Score says it's false, I would think any more speculation is moot.

The SCORE this morning was talking about how this surfaced on a message board in Detroit late last week and has grown via message boards and talk radio ever sense.

This is folks looking at AJ and making assumptions, valid questions but no real substance.

I gotta tell ya, I love cub fans their angst is at an all-time high as they see no future going forward, none. They have maybe two starters and hope Starlin and Rizzo can be all-stars. They would die for a Dylan Axelrod or Hector Santiago and no fathom Travis Wood is not better than Nestor Molina, Travis Wood sucks. cub fans are now seeing that rolling the dice can be more enjoyable than trying to rebuild which the Red Sox will be doing in the free agent market. Year one of a three year plan is now year one of a five year plan. Sorry I am not HOPING on a five year plan.

I bring that up as I really believe these rumors are fanned by trolls and it is now out of control.

sorry if this has been mentioned already, but I see it traces back to a WSI poster, however about 2 weeks ago extreme hack Jonathan Hood was on ESPN 1000 killing some time and out of the blue started saying how he couldn't look at AJ's numbers this year and not think that he may be doing PEDs. I turned it off basically right away, but he was introducing it as a topic, so possibly that started something that led to this.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 09:34 AM)
sorry if this has been mentioned already, but I see it traces back to a WSI poster, however about 2 weeks ago extreme hack Jonathan Hood was on ESPN 1000 killing some time and out of the blue started saying how he couldn't look at AJ's numbers this year and not think that he may be doing PEDs. I turned it off basically right away, but he was introducing it as a topic, so possibly that started something that led to this.

Matt Spiegal wrote a column for the Daily Herald a few weeks ago using AJ's name as someone who could get accused...

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2012081...08189847/print/

But having an open mind to that is getting increasingly difficult. Lazy, knee-jerk cynicism gets rewarded, time and again.

I’ve always been angry at steroids.

I’m angry at the damage they have done to my baseball conversations. Comparing players from era to era is always tricky, but never more so since the slugging bulked up, injected and exploded. The record book is a frustrating, complicated mess.

This week’s Cabrera news made me realize how my anger has metastasized. The mid or late career improvements I love to celebrate are doubted with loud ferocity. A.J. Pierzynski is having a career year at 35? Start the whispers. Curtis Granderson has turned into a straight up slugger in the Bronx? Millions quickly assume the worst.

Spiegel sounds like he thinks he knows better but can't outright say it because MLB shot it down for the moment, so he's begrudgingly dismissing it. It's the same tone of voice he would use when Cowley regularly guested on his show and said something that he vehemently disagreed with, but didn't bother pursuing it because he felt like it was't worth the trouble, there was no convincing him otherwise.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 10:55 AM)
Spiegel sounds like he thinks he knows better but can't outright say it because MLB shot it down for the moment, so he's begrudgingly dismissing it. It's the same tone of voice he would use when Cowley regularly guested on his show and said something that he vehemently disagreed with, but didn't bother pursuing it because he felt like it was't worth the trouble, there was no convincing him otherwise.

Huh? Is this something going on right now on radio or is there something in that last article/quote that you're reading but I don't get?

CBS Chicago: "Source: Pierzynski will not be suspended for PEDs"

(CBS) Contrary to rumors that have been flying for nearly a week, a league source told 670 The Score Thursday that the White Sox reached out to Major League Baseball and were assured that catcher A.J. Pierzynski will not be suspended for using a banned substance.

Rumors reached a peak Wednesday when they were posted on message boards and they concerned the White Sox enough to inquire with the league office.

The word back from Major League Baseball was that there is nothing to the rumors, according to the league source.

“I’m not interested in talking about rumors,” White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper said Thursday on The Mully And Hanley Show on 670 The Score. “If you’re foolish enough to use them, then you deserve to get caught.”

Pierzynski, 35, is batting .281 with 71 RBI and a career-high 24 home runs this season

This just goes to show you how rumors can spread fast and to the point to where they are believed to be true thanks to the internet and social media. Look at what happened when someone started a Facebook page called RIP Bill Cosby. According to the internet, he was dead for a couple days before Bill Cosby said, "I'm not dead yet...I'm getting better."

Go back and look at the posts from yesterday. Many of us, myself included, said we'd be disappointed but not surprised. But before this rumor was started, did any of really think AJ was using?

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 09:55 AM)

It's one of those things where we probably don't know the whole story, and will never know it.

All I know is that I'll be happy if AJ is in the lineup Friday night.

As far as rumors, no player is above suspicion. No team is above suspicion. MLB made its bed in the 90's and early 00's, letting anyone do anything. And this is just bi-product of that era.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)
I'm glad he'll be playing tomorrow night, if it doesn't rain.

Rumors are rumors. I doubt the original person made it up out of nothing, but it's better to just let these things take their course until MLB or the Sox announce something.

Conte went public just a week ago or so saying he knew of another name or two. Since he's still at the center of all that stuff (just on the other side now, headhunting the players rather than covering for them) & appears to get info leaked throughout the process, it makes sense that others would immediately speculate on those names. Conte probably threw out a few carrots behind closed doors/off the radio/etc. and assumptions were made as a result.

If anything were actually close there would have been a whole lot of smoke this morning; instead we have MLB denying this outright. There probably is another name out there but it's not AJ. Maybe it's even another Sox player. But this whole "I'm hearing this/that" stuff doesn't sound like anyone getting hard info from a direct source.

Edited by The Ultimate Champion

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 09:22 AM)
You took the rumor of a guy on the street internet poster and said "it doesn't look good." Sorry if I didn't take the bait, and if people at USCF like jenksismyb**** reported were saying it was true with a press conference today, when the White Sox didn't even know about, you know there are people who want this to be true. You would have to be very naive to think there aren't posters on here who are dissappointed this isn't true.

For the record, I do NOT want this to be true. AJ is one of my favorites players.

AJ gets no respect. probably worked super hard in the offseason. He is doing a good job

with a lot of young pitchers. many have said that he could be a coach or manager in the future.

I don't think that He is taking PEDs or roids or any banned substance.

Jeter too man. He is having a great year and people are saying PEDs. Sometimes players have great years.

.maybe they feel healthy or things just go their way.

Innocent until MLB say otherwise. Kiss off rumor starters and rumor spreaders.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 10:01 AM)
It's one of those things where we probably don't know the whole story, and will never know it.

All I know is that I'll be happy if AJ is in the lineup Friday night.

As far as rumors, no player is above suspicion. No team is above suspicion. MLB made its bed in the 90's and early 00's, letting anyone do anything. And this is just bi-product of that era.

Sad, but 1000000% true. This is Bud Selig's fault for being completely spineless when it came to PEDs in the game.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
Huh? Is this something going on right now on radio or is there something in that last article/quote that you're reading but I don't get?

Nothing- it's just the impression I got from when they quickly touched on it at the beginning of the show based on listening to the guy regularly for a long time. It's probably exactly what flavum wrote, we don't know the whole story, and maybe never will.