AJ Did Not Test Positive; No Story Here

flavum

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 12:56 PM)
I like that they made the thread no longer accessible to the public.

NOTHING TO SEE HERE. MOVE ALONG. BACK TO YOUR LIVES OR RISK BANISHMENT. NO YAHOO EMAIL ADDRESSES. ADMINS ARE GOD.

They don't allow Yahoo! email addresses? WTF? Why?

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (YASNY @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
I haven't weighed in on this but I feel that I should, since that old SI incident was brought up. I STILL believe rumors are fair game on, and good for, a message board format. We are not professional journalists, nor do we pretend to be. We are fans discussing baseball and rumors are naturally going be part of the conversation. This rumor was out there and of course it was going be discussed here, and microscopically scrutinized. Nobody threw AJ under bus, but there were some that were, well, checking the bus schedule, I believe. No one seems absolutely sure how or where this started but as far as Soxtalk is concerned, I'm not throwing anybody under that bus either. The rumor was out there, it was brought to the attention of the board and discussed. Very similar situation to the SI incident before that jerk from SI printed it.

True, but some people on here said they had inside knowledge of it being true, didn't they? I take all rumors the same, as rumors. Good for AJ; he raised his power numbers on his own! Nice job, AJ, you are one of my favorite Sox ever. A winner.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)
It's one of those things where we probably don't know the whole story, and will never know it.

All I know is that I'll be happy if AJ is in the lineup Friday night.

As far as rumors, no player is above suspicion. No team is above suspicion. MLB made its bed in the 90's and early 00's, letting anyone do anything. And this is just bi-product of that era.

No player may be above suspicion, but it is unfair to talk about certain players without evidence. Like somebody said in the thread, catchers are pretty smart guys and smart people don't get banned from baseball.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 01:32 PM)
Yeah, I don't get it. Do they only allow school or work e-mail addresses?? Not everybody has one of those or uses it.

I went to sign up over there awhile back and the only way I could was to use my work email. Didn't really feel like giving them my work email so I said screw it, that board kinda sucks anyways. One can only stand so many "this thread blows" or "teal police" pictures before he goes insane.

The rise of the internet -- and the fact it took a good chunk of the domain once owned by television/radio -- is in part due to the fact that there are no gatekeepers. On TV, the powers-that-be feed you what you consume.

The internet has an unlimited number of sources. The upside being: more information, the downside: unfiltered, unknown quality.

If you want the message board to be just like the Chicago Tribune, then the best choice is probably to leave the message board. It will never live up to what you want. This is the place to discuss the Usain Bolt PED use that the media will not touch, because we are not a news station. We ARENT reporting on a newscast.

If you think no such place should exist, then it's very easy to just close the message board account -- because this is the place for (potentially) ALL topics (besides the sliver barred by the rules). Other places are available if all you want is what's been reported. It's basically my grandmother's exposure to media that you want.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 02:02 PM)
I have one from my ISP. I just very rarely use it. I know some people don't have an ISP.

I guess I do technically have a Comcast e-mail address of some sort. But I've only been using my Yahoo since my UIUC adress expired 8 years ago. Guess it's no WSI board for me. Oh no!

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)
I guess I do technically have a Comcast e-mail address of some sort. But I've only been using my Yahoo since my UIUC adress expired 8 years ago. Guess it's no WSI board for me. Oh no!

you should be so sad that you dont get the opportunity to get banned for having a different opinion

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
Yeah, I don't get it. Do they only allow school or work e-mail addresses?? Not everybody has one of those or uses it.

I dont understand this. The numbers I have in front of me may not be correct but don't 1000% of all email addresses use one of those domain names?

Not everyone goes to school or works at a place that offers an email address. So they want like no new members ever?

QUOTE (YASNY @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 12:39 PM)
I haven't weighed in on this but I feel that I should, since that old SI incident was brought up. I STILL believe rumors are fair game on, and good for, a message board format. We are not professional journalists, nor do we pretend to be. We are fans discussing baseball and rumors are naturally going be part of the conversation. This rumor was out there and of course it was going be discussed here, and microscopically scrutinized. Nobody threw AJ under bus, but there were some that were, well, checking the bus schedule, I believe. No one seems absolutely sure how or where this started but as far as Soxtalk is concerned, I'm not throwing anybody under that bus either. The rumor was out there, it was brought to the attention of the board and discussed. Very similar situation to the SI incident before that jerk from SI printed it.

Good post.

And I'd say I'm actually pretty impressed by the posts in here, in that few if any assumed guilt. People handled it quite well, in my view.

QUOTE (Cali @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 02:49 PM)
I dont understand this. The numbers I have in front of me may not be correct but don't 1000% of all email addresses use one of those domain names?

Not everyone goes to school or works at a place that offers an email address. So they want like no new members ever?

The point is that anyone can have any number of the free email addresses. It's a little more difficult to make a fake address with a work or school email.

But yes, they are very, very paranoid over there.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 01:25 PM)
The point is that anyone can have any number of the free email addresses. It's a little more difficult to make a fake address with a work or school email.

But yes, they are very, very paranoid over there.

So basically if you don't go to school or work at a company that offers email you're f***ed. Haha.

What's funny is that I'm sure I could log in to my old account there and it'd work, but my old yahoo email address is tied to the account I'm sure. Obviously they grandfathered people in. They probably have to since that board is filled with bitter old men whos email addresses are probably aol, compuserve or Netscape anyway haha

I also don't understand why they'd be so paranoid. Look, I'm a huge fan and I love my team but I realize that the white sox are not very reliant nationally. Are people really interested in wasting time spamming a White Sox message board? I could understand the paranoia if it were Yankees or Red Sox, but how many people spam a year, like 5?

Seems like overkill.

QUOTE (Cali @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 03:39 PM)
I also don't understand why they'd be so paranoid. Look, I'm a huge fan and I love my team but I realize that the white sox are not very reliant nationally. Are people really interested in wasting time spamming a White Sox message board? I could understand the paranoia if it were Yankees or Red Sox, but how many people spam a year, like 5?

Seems like overkill.

If we didn't take steps to stop it? It would be a huge number.

FWIW, we don't allow unfiltered sign ups either. We review each one on google to see if their email or IP address shows up in any known databases which track spammers. I'd say at least half of our new sign ups are spammers which we delete, and never are able to spam the board.