AJ Did Not Test Positive; No Story Here

flavum

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 06:32 AM)
Considering the origin of this entire thread was from what someone heard from a friend who works at the Score and now the Score says it's false, I would think any more speculation is moot.

I question the motive of the person on WSI who originally posted this. If, as he claimed, he got the rumor from "a friend who works at WSCR" and the station didn't deem it worthy to report it, then it wasn't meant to be revealed to the public. Why would someone who claims to be a Sox fan rush to report an unsubstantiated rumor that would cast a negative light on the team, cause a big distraction and personally hurt one of the team's best players during a pennant race?

And WSI didn't even ban the guy for even a week for doing it. It really makes them look bad, especially since they are known for banning and censoring posters for holding the "wrong view" or not being PC in the way they express their views. WSI's credibility took a big hit by being the source of this bulls*** rumor.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys can you move this thread? I've thought about it more and it is disrespectful to one of the greatest White Sox of all time, definitely one of our top catchers of all time, a position we've had some good ones like Fisk and Lollar and Martin and Karko, etc.

This is disrespectful to a man having a great power year. No reason for it to draw traffic on the main site. AJ is not guilty at this time so WTF? Move it please to SLAM.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 05:35 PM)
Guys can you move this thread? I've thought about it more and it is disrespectful to one of the greatest White Sox of all time, definitely one of our top catchers of all time, a position we've had some good ones like Fisk and Lollar and Martin and Karko, etc.

This is disrespectful to a man having a great power year. No reason for it to draw traffic on the main site. AJ is not guilty at this time so WTF? Move it please to SLAM.

Absolutely not. Moving it to another unrelated forum and burying it like WSI did is not what we are gonna do. This has to do with a White Sox player

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 05:35 PM)

If anything, this thread has shown a lot of respect for AJ. Tons of people have posted about how much they like him and they hope it's not true for that very reason.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 08:38 AM)
Great now that this is over it's time to grab the pitchforks & take out the bulls***ter.

Funny this came from WSI.

Controversial opinion? Ban.

Fart in the presence of a lady? Ban.

Run your little yapper about one of the greatest catchers & one of the most influential players in Sox history? Welcome aboard!

It is ironic that they didn't even give the poster their normal "one week vacation" as they do to so many others over there.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (Cali @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
So basically if you don't go to school or work at a company that offers email you're f***ed. Haha.

What's funny is that I'm sure I could log in to my old account there and it'd work, but my old yahoo email address is tied to the account I'm sure. Obviously they grandfathered people in. They probably have to since that board is filled with bitter old men whos email addresses are probably aol, compuserve or Netscape anyway haha

aol addresses are allowed. as that's still a pay format(although not many pay, but since it's an option...)

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 04:47 PM)
I question the motive of the person on WSI who originally posted this. If, as he claimed, he got the rumor from "a friend who works at WSCR" and the station didn't deem it worthy to report it, then it wasn't meant to be revealed to the public. Why would someone who claims to be a Sox fan rush to report an unsubstantiated rumor that would cast a negative light on the team, cause a big distraction and personally hurt one of the team's best players during a pennant race?

And WSI didn't even ban the guy for even a week for doing it. It really makes them look bad, especially since they are known for banning and censoring posters for holding the "wrong view" or not being PC in the way they express their views. WSI's credibility took a big hit by being the source of this bulls*** rumor.

WSI has fallen on hard times indeed. The reason why they dont allow the discount codes for tickets is because a little baby cried that I posted the pre-sale code to DumpJerry. So the unwashed masses wonder why tickets are too x-pensive and guys like me cant show them how to save coin while going.

Also, Daver is a total jackass. The reason I dont post there anymore is that HE insulted me, and I "reported" his post. He took umbrage, and had me banned. When i asked "wtf"?", he made it a lifetime ban.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 03:47 PM)

Not only that but some of the WSI staff writers have good relationship with some media members and people inside the Sox organization. The thread got twisted that one of the Sox beat writers reported the rumor which in reality was the writer heard the rumor a week ago. That's when they took it down.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 03:47 PM)

It wasn't a veteran poster either.

It was actually a weird situation because it went down so quickly while most of us were at work. When I saw the thread, I started a PM discussion with the original poster asking him for the name of his contact person at the Score so I at least knew he was legit. He was unwilling to give up the name in order to protect his friend's job. At that point, the thread was put in the "What's the Score" forum where unregistered users could still see it (generally where trade rumors, not PED rumors go). It wasn't put into the Roadhouse until later in the night (where only registered members could see it).

WSI didn't start the rumor. Mully and Hanley this morning said they had heard it last Friday. Gonzalez said he had "heard it" last week (I agree, just because he said he heard it, he wasn't lending credence to it). It was floating around WSCR at least since the middle of last week. I have the original poster's name and his work email address. I can confirm he doesn't work at the Score, and I have no reason to believe he doesn't have a friend there. All signs point towards someone (or more than one person) at the Score starting this rumor as a joke to see how far it could spread. FWIW, I don't believe the "Detroit Tigers Message Board" theory unless someone can come up with a link.

If anything, it goes to show how influencial boards like Soxtalk and WSI are since this entire thing ignited after it was posted at both places. The media in this town is lazy, and I know they monitor these boards for info.

It was a unique situation last night and a learning experience.

QUOTE (Brian26 @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 07:53 PM)
It was actually a weird situation because it went down so quickly while most of us were at work. When I saw the thread, I started a PM discussion with the original poster asking him for the name of his contact person at the Score so I at least knew he was legit. He was unwilling to give up the name in order to protect his friend's job. At that point, the thread was put in the "What's the Score" forum where unregistered users could still see it (generally where trade rumors, not PED rumors go). It wasn't put into the Roadhouse until later in the night (where only registered members could see it).

WSI didn't start the rumor. Mully and Hanley this morning said they had heard it last Friday. Gonzalez said he had "heard it" last week (I agree, just because he said he heard it, he wasn't lending credence to it). It was floating around WSCR at least since the middle of last week. I have the original poster's name and his work email address. I can confirm he doesn't work at the Score, and I have no reason to believe he doesn't have a friend there. All signs point towards someone (or more than one person) at the Score starting this rumor as a joke to see how far it could spread. FWIW, I don't believe the "Detroit Tigers Message Board" theory unless someone can come up with a link.

If anything, it goes to show how influencial boards like Soxtalk and WSI are since this entire thing ignited after it was posted at both places. The media in this town is lazy, and I know they monitor these boards for info.

The sad thing is right now, and maybe its MLB's fault, but whenever players have career years or play really well, they almost all have PED suspicion .

It was a unique situation last night and a learning experience.

It was a poster without a track record, and his source was a guy who works at the Score and the Score didn't report it. If its some top secret information, I wonder why they refuse to air it, but will tell all of their friends. That's what made me sure it was false, although I did wonder what if it were true.

Edited by Dick Allen

It was a poster without a track record, and his source was a guy who works at the Score and the Score didn't report it. If its some top secret information, I wonder why they refuse to air it, but will tell all of their friends. That's what made me sure it was false, although I did wonder what if it were true.

Like I said, I think it was someone or a group of guys behind the scenes at the Score that started it as a joke just to see how far it would get. None of the hosts could mention it on the air since they didn't have confirmation (they were being played), although a few of them laid down very subtle hints over the last few days in passing. It only spun out of control last night after WSI and Soxtalk had mega threads going. That's when Coppock, Grobstein and other media people started making statements. Mully & Hanley were probably watching everything unfold last night since they had confirmation that it was false from the White Sox as early as 5am this morning.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 03:44 PM)
If we didn't take steps to stop it? It would be a huge number.

FWIW, we don't allow unfiltered sign ups either. We review each one on google to see if their email or IP address shows up in any known databases which track spammers. I'd say at least half of our new sign ups are spammers which we delete, and never are able to spam the board.

As already said, this is very appreciated.

The only other forum I'v been at for an extended period of time (I've learned the best way for a forum to thrive is an off topic section, like SLaM), well, we got hit HARD by spammers. I appreciate the work.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 06:45 PM)
aol addresses are allowed. as that's still a pay format(although not many pay, but since it's an option...)

...apparently, I've been robbing AOL for a few years.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 10:37 PM)
Absolutely not. Moving it to another unrelated forum and burying it like WSI did is not what we are gonna do. This has to do with a White Sox player

It unfairly discusses a NON ISSUE regarding a true White Sox, AJP. There is NO STORY thus the thread should be killed out of respect for AJP. It cheapens the site IMO as there's no story here. I guess if somebody starts a rumor on Youk or Paulie next we can all discuss it and keep the thread around forever. Bad form IMO.

At least the name of the thread should be changed to a discussion of the idiot who planted the rumor. The only story is about a reckless anonymous poster, not AJP.

It's the same reason WGN doesn't put the camera on the idiots that run on the field. They don't deserve the attention.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 01:55 AM)
It unfairly discusses a NON ISSUE regarding a true White Sox, AJP. There is NO STORY thus the thread should be killed out of respect for AJP. It cheapens the site IMO as there's no story here. I guess if somebody starts a rumor on Youk or Paulie next we can all discuss it and keep the thread around forever. Bad form IMO.

At least the name of the thread should be changed to a discussion of the idiot who planted the rumor. The only story is about a reckless anonymous poster, not AJP.

It's the same reason WGN doesn't put the camera on the idiots that run on the field. They don't deserve the attention.

Must you always whine?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 02:46 AM)
I'm not whining. I'm standing up for AJP. All it was was a bad rumor. So dump the thread.

No, absolutely not. Have you seen some of the s*** that's posted on here? There was a lot of smoke to this rumor, there were people on the inside as well as friends of posters on here talking about the validity of this rumor, and, fortunately, nothing has come of it (thus far).

Oh, and don't sit in your throne all high and mighty and act as if you're the only AJ supporter in here. Several in here have defended AJ and admitted they would be absolutely crushed if the rumors were declared true. AJ has been one of my favorite players the Sox have had for a while and is one of the best parts about being a Sox fan. Had he tested positive, I would have absolutely wiped my hands clean of him (just as you would have) (just as I did Ozzie), and hated pretty much everything about him but would occasionally reminisce on the fond memories I had of AJ.

And one more thing - at this point, you ARE whining, because a forum administrator has already stated that this will not be moved or deleted because it involved (potentially big) news regarding a White Sox player, and that has since been proven false (thus far). There is still good discussion to be had and there is no reason to move/delete/burn this thread.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 01:55 AM)

The thread title reflects the truth. Life isnt fair. No. The End.