AJ Did Not Test Positive; No Story Here

flavum

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 05:03 PM)
Well, that's too bad. If this is true, I wonder if Selig would take the stance of making the Sox forfeit every game AJ hit a homer in after surpassing last year's HR total. If AJ did this, it definitely showed in his power numbers.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 05:07 PM)
I know he won't do it, cause he didn't do anything like that regarding Melky, but AJ's power surge this season was hugely dramatic. You gotta admit.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 02:46 AM)
I'm not whining. I'm standing up for AJP. All it was was a bad rumor. So dump the thread.

Greg, as you can see from your posts throughout this thread, your thinking was in line with the majority of this board. Most of us would be disappointed but not entirely surprised. If someone were to send this thread to AJ he would see that he has a ton of fans that would be very upset if it turned out he was using. Most us have been very supportive, you included. There's no reason to kill a thread just because a rumor turned out to be false. The thread title was changed to reflect the fact that the rumor turned out to be false. The mods here aren't going to lock the thread and pretend nothing ever happened. The rumor came out, we all said that would suck if true, and the rumor was proven false. But there were hundreds of posts from the time the rumor started until when the rumor was killed.

Relax. I'm sure AJ is okay with some fans having a discussion about him. Besides, this thread will start dropping down on the page today. By game time, it won't even be one of the top ten discussions...unless you keep insisting the thread be killed.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 07:18 PM)
Journalists are lazy. More so the blog writers on national media. That's why I don't believe anything until the local media reports it.

The Chicago sports media mostly sucks. They are more worried about preserving sources for later stories than they are breaking a story first.

QUOTE (Brian26 @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 07:53 PM)
It was actually a weird situation because it went down so quickly while most of us were at work. When I saw the thread, I started a PM discussion with the original poster asking him for the name of his contact person at the Score so I at least knew he was legit. He was unwilling to give up the name in order to protect his friend's job. At that point, the thread was put in the "What's the Score" forum where unregistered users could still see it (generally where trade rumors, not PED rumors go). It wasn't put into the Roadhouse until later in the night (where only registered members could see it).

WSI didn't start the rumor. Mully and Hanley this morning said they had heard it last Friday. Gonzalez said he had "heard it" last week (I agree, just because he said he heard it, he wasn't lending credence to it). It was floating around WSCR at least since the middle of last week. I have the original poster's name and his work email address. I can confirm he doesn't work at the Score, and I have no reason to believe he doesn't have a friend there. All signs point towards someone (or more than one person) at the Score starting this rumor as a joke to see how far it could spread. FWIW, I don't believe the "Detroit Tigers Message Board" theory unless someone can come up with a link.

If anything, it goes to show how influencial boards like Soxtalk and WSI are since this entire thing ignited after it was posted at both places. The media in this town is lazy, and I know they monitor these boards for info.

It was a unique situation last night and a learning experience.

That wouldn't shock me at all. They will literally say anything for ratings. They have no standards.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 01:55 AM)
It unfairly discusses a NON ISSUE regarding a true White Sox, AJP. There is NO STORY thus the thread should be killed out of respect for AJP. It cheapens the site IMO as there's no story here. I guess if somebody starts a rumor on Youk or Paulie next we can all discuss it and keep the thread around forever. Bad form IMO.

At least the name of the thread should be changed to a discussion of the idiot who planted the rumor. The only story is about a reckless anonymous poster, not AJP.

It's the same reason WGN doesn't put the camera on the idiots that run on the field. They don't deserve the attention.

Give it up. It isn't going to happen. Actually you are doing the worst thing possible in replying on the thread, because that keeps it on the top of the front page.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 03:08 AM)
No, absolutely not. Have you seen some of the s*** that's posted on here? There was a lot of smoke to this rumor, there were people on the inside as well as friends of posters on here talking about the validity of this rumor, and, fortunately, nothing has come of it (thus far).

Oh, and don't sit in your throne all high and mighty and act as if you're the only AJ supporter in here. Several in here have defended AJ and admitted they would be absolutely crushed if the rumors were declared true. AJ has been one of my favorite players the Sox have had for a while and is one of the best parts about being a Sox fan. Had he tested positive, I would have absolutely wiped my hands clean of him (just as you would have) (just as I did Ozzie), and hated pretty much everything about him but would occasionally reminisce on the fond memories I had of AJ.

And one more thing - at this point, you ARE whining, because a forum administrator has already stated that this will not be moved or deleted because it involved (potentially big) news regarding a White Sox player, and that has since been proven false (thus far). There is still good discussion to be had and there is no reason to move/delete/burn this thread.

It was a big enough rumor that the Chicago White Sox had to call Major League Baseball to confirm or deny it. That alone makes it newsworthy.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Sep 6, 2012 -> 06:49 PM)
Also, Daver is a total jackass. The reason I dont post there anymore is that HE insulted me, and I "reported" his post. He took umbrage, and had me banned. When i asked "wtf"?", he made it a lifetime ban.

This story doesn't surprise me one bit. The rules have never applied to the mods. It's like they are trying to drive away their posters. Many of them long-timers.

Also in his mind, Daver is never, ever wrong.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 09:55 AM)
This story doesn't surprise me one bit. The rules have never applied to the mods. It's like they are trying to drive away their posters. Many of them long-timers.

He is the reason I stopped posting there too-he is infallable (in his world)

Daver's apparently a cop. He threatened me over email after I got permabanned for posting about something that wasn't even illegal and he ended up posting some s*** about how my posts could result in lawsuits for them. The administrators over there are just awful. They run their forum like it's 1980 in Communist Russia.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 12:24 PM)
Greg, as you can see from your posts throughout this thread, your thinking was in line with the majority of this board. Most of us would be disappointed but not entirely surprised. If someone were to send this thread to AJ he would see that he has a ton of fans that would be very upset if it turned out he was using. Most us have been very supportive, you included. There's no reason to kill a thread just because a rumor turned out to be false. The thread title was changed to reflect the fact that the rumor turned out to be false. The mods here aren't going to lock the thread and pretend nothing ever happened. The rumor came out, we all said that would suck if true, and the rumor was proven false. But there were hundreds of posts from the time the rumor started until when the rumor was killed.

Relax. I'm sure AJ is okay with some fans having a discussion about him. Besides, this thread will start dropping down on the page today. By game time, it won't even be one of the top ten discussions...unless you keep insisting the thread be killed.

You are probably right. Normally I think it's OK to discuss rumors but if the rumor is proven blatantly false, it's only fair to strike it from the record so to speak. I mean what if the rumor had been AJ physically attacked somebody. It's why a lot of newspapers won't print the names of alleged lawbreakers until they are charged. Oh well, I'm in the minority here, so I'll move on.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)
You are probably right. Normally I think it's OK to discuss rumors but if the rumor is proven blatantly false, it's only fair to strike it from the record so to speak. I mean what if the rumor had been AJ physically attacked somebody. It's why a lot of newspapers won't print the names of alleged lawbreakers until they are charged. Oh well, I'm in the minority here, so I'll move on.

Speaking for myself, I believe it to be extremely disingenuous to erase something from the record like that. It happened, and it was talked about. It was a big news story. What exactly does acting like it never happened achieve? It doesn't protect AJ, as the story is still out there, even if Soxtalk were to delete or hide the thread. I think it makes this place a more honest and respectable site to be able to say what happened at each stage of the story, instead of acting like the old Soviet Union acting like a Premier never existed.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)
Speaking for myself, I believe it to be extremely disingenuous to erase something from the record like that. It happened, and it was talked about. It was a big news story. What exactly does acting like it never happened achieve? It doesn't protect AJ, as the story is still out there, even if Soxtalk were to delete or hide the thread. I think it makes this place a more honest and respectable site to be able to say what happened at each stage of the story, instead of acting like the old Soviet Union acting like a Premier never existed.

This This and This

Also in his mind, SS2k5 is never, ever wrong.

Good night sweet prince

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 02:06 PM)
Have any media outlets had a chance to ask AJ about this? I would love to hear his reaction to all the rumors?

If you were a beat reporter who wanted to keep some sort of relationship with the players... would you want to ask AJ of all people about something like that? it gets you nothing other than a verbal assault, and possibly a physical one, and shuts you off with that player for the future. Since it is pretty much assuredly untrue, what is the benefit, for that cost?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 7, 2012 -> 02:08 PM)
If you were a beat reporter who wanted to keep some sort of relationship with the players... would you want to ask AJ of all people about something like that? it gets you nothing other than a verbal assault, and possibly a physical one, and shuts you off with that player for the future. Since it is pretty much assuredly untrue, what is the benefit, for that cost?

I'm not looking for a reporter to ask him if he is on steroids. More of a question like, "AJ, do you have anything to say about all these rumors and allegations that have been falsely sent your way?"