AJ Did Not Test Positive; No Story Here

flavum

maybe someone at the Score is leaking things...

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2012081...08189847/print/

This week’s Cabrera news made me realize how my anger has metastasized. The mid or late career improvements I love to celebrate are doubted with loud ferocity. A.J. Pierzynski is having a career year at 35? Start the whispers. Curtis Granderson has turned into a straight up slugger in the Bronx? Millions quickly assume the worst.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 12:19 PM)
I agree with both of you. Like I said earlier, I have been wondering about this for a while, but have just kept the conversation between my friends. Even if I heard this info I wouldn't post it on a message board either. There could be legal things that could happen to this person if in fact it is false. For that reason alone, why does this thread even exist?

Talking about what other people are already talking about isn't illegal.

Circumstantial evidence - his performance this year statistically being so outside the norm, and his recent atypical brain and effort blunders - seems mounted against him. But this is a chicken and egg argument. Are those the result of PED's, or is the rumor there purely because of the circumstantial evidence? I wouldn't be ready to indict just yet.

Does anyone think Carlton Fisk did PEDs? He started playing better in his middle 30s.

I was anti PED, but I'm starting to think if a player can get them legally, they should let everyone do them. Someone is always going to get away with it. Most things players do is performance enhancing, if done legally, what's the difference between a drug and a workout or diet? If you have a doctor's note, some PEDs can be taken right now.

That said, if there is truth to this rumor, I'd turn on AJ.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
Does anyone think Carlton Fisk did PEDs? He started playing better in his middle 30s.

I was anti PED, but I'm starting to think if a player can get them legally, they should let everyone do them. Someone is always going to get away with it. Most things players do is performance enhancing, if done legally, what's the difference between a drug and a workout or diet? If you have a doctor's note, some PEDs can be taken right now.

That said, if there is truth to this rumor, I'd turn on AJ.

I agree. It should at least be looked into whether it would just be better to make a standard, safe, legal protocol for use.

The public has been so propagandized against steroids that I don't know if any politician would allow the legalization or limited legalization of steroids, though.

Mark Liptak over at WSI posted Mark Gonzales is saying he heard rumors last week too.

I'm not surprised by AJ, and quite frankly, I didn't want him back next year anyway because he was probably going to get a multi-year deal from somebody, and I didn't want a 37-38 year old AJP on this team.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 02:06 PM)
Mark Liptak over at WSI posted Mark Gonzales is saying he heard rumors last week too.

I'm not surprised by AJ, and quite frankly, I didn't want him back next year anyway because he was probably going to get a multi-year deal from somebody, and I didn't want a 37-38 year old AJP on this team.

If he tested positive, he'd be very unlikely to get a multi year deal. Hell, he'd still have games to miss starting next year.

Could legitimately cost him $10 million.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 01:08 PM)
If he tested positive, he'd be very unlikely to get a multi year deal. Hell, he'd still have games to miss starting next year.

Could legitimately cost him $10 million.

Yes, and to that end, I'm glad he got caught...if this is true.

My feeling all season has been he's juicing to get his last big contract. Now he won't. And I think the Sox would break ties with him if he did fail a test.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)
Its amazing how many people are assuming this rumor from a guy who heard from a guy who works at the Score, is true.

Now that we know Mark Gonzales heard the same thing, there has to be at least something to it.

Remember, the SF beat writer apologized to Melky Cabrera for asking him about it in July. Then a month later, Cabrera was suspended.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 01:32 PM)
Now that we know Mark Gonzales heard the same thing, there has to be at least something to it.

Remember, the SF beat writer apologized to Melky Cabrera for asking him about it in July. Then a month later, Cabrera was suspended.

Where was the Mark Gonzales quote?

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 06:32 PM)

There's no doubt in my mind that someone is actually spreading this rumor. I have complete faith in the WSI poster reporting exactly what's going around town right now. With that said, it all matters if the initial rumor spreader is BSing or not