AJ Did Not Test Positive; No Story Here

flavum

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 03:48 PM)
I find it strange that it would take weeks after the failed test to suspend them. You'd think once they found out he failed then the next game he should be out, why let a known PEDer go out there for another 2 weeks, esp. in the heat of a pennant race, before discipline? If its a sound testing system then he should be gone already.

Because EVERYONE has the right to appeal, and they absolutely should. Tests can be mishandled, contaminated, etc. etc. If you take away the right of appeal, you take away any ounce of justice left.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 06:48 PM)
I find it strange that it would take weeks after the failed test to suspend them. You'd think once they found out he failed then the next game he should be out, why let a known PEDer go out there for another 2 weeks, esp. in the heat of a pennant race, before discipline? If its a sound testing system then he should be gone already.

MLB players are entitled to an appeal. This is the case for almost any suspension.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 05:48 PM)

Because they have the ability to appeal. If the player wins and the team has lost games in the meantime, there would be hell to pay.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 05:48 PM)

Appeal process takes time, it was the same way with Melky, even tho I'm not quit sure what they are trying to appeal? Are they testing sample B to confirm it?

QUOTE (Real @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
can we keep the thread about AJ please, hard to sift through page after page of quotefests for actual information, every time this thread gets bumped I'm hoping it's from actual information about this rumor

This is all relevant discussion. Anything big would amended to the title of the thread.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 05:50 PM)
Because EVERYONE has the right to appeal, and they absolutely should. Tests can be mishandled, contaminated, etc. etc. If you take away the right of appeal, you take away any ounce of justice left.

Yea, I guess I can see that. They should make it a fail free system then.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 06:52 PM)
Appeal process takes time, it was the same way with Melky, even tho I'm not quit sure what they are trying to appeal? Are they testing sample B to confirm it?

It also gives the player the chance to review the procedures, present a defense, etc. If a player actually did take something unwittingly and happened to have a sample of that for testing, it might be taken into account. If there were any irregularities in the testing procedure, the player should have the right to know about them.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 03:54 PM)
Yea, I guess I can see that. They should make it a fail free system then.

That is just not achievable. Humans make mistakes. Hell, it could even be as easy as misreading a test result. An appeal allows a dedicated and thorough review before any judgement is passed down.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 05:55 PM)
That is just not achievable. Humans make mistakes. Hell, it could even be as easy as misreading a test result. An appeal allows a dedicated and thorough review before any judgement is passed down.

I don't know what all goes into such an appeal process but it probably shouldn't take 2 weeks IMO.

I'm hearing that he failed the test 2 weeks ago. There will be a press conference tomorrow where his suspension will be made official. Makes sense since they just brought up Gimenez.

(1) Appeal process takes longer than 2 weeks

(2) PED suspensions aren't announced at press conferences

(3) Every team brings up a 3rd catcher in September

If you're going to troll, learn to do it better.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 07:00 PM)
I don't know what all goes into such an appeal process but it probably shouldn't take 2 weeks IMO.

2 weeks is probably rushing it, given that the player would have to have time to review the evidence and present any sort of defense, in addition to simply scheduling time with the arbitrator. If an extra test is done of a "B" sample or something like that, it would likely add even more time.

Is the press conference before or after the Bulls press conference announcing Lebron is coming to town. Wasn't he looking at property on the North Shore?

Do teams have press conferences with PED suspensions? Isn't usually a statement "by" the offender written by his agent?

BTW, Mark Gonzalez hears a lot of rumors that aren't true.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 06:00 PM)

I would imagine it takes longer than 2 weeks. I had to take a drug test for work and that took 2 weeks. With a gathering of information and probably a re-test on some of the sample, plus the lawyers getting involved, it would seem to me it would take at least 4 weeks and probably more on an appeal.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 05:40 PM)
Me either which is why either he completely went out of character and threw something against the wall, or he randomly got some inside information and decided to share it in a way that could never be traced.

I know guys that work at the ballpark. The rumors are more than swirling at this point there. I never said it was a fact, just what i heard from them.

And lol at the troll label. Jesus people need to get a grip.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 06:00 PM)
(1) Appeal process takes longer than 2 weeks

(2) PED suspensions aren't announced at press conferences

(3) Every team brings up a 3rd catcher in September

If you're going to troll, learn to do it better.

Maybe hes not appealing

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 06:43 PM)
If he's not appealing and he failed the drug test 2 weeks ago, it doesn't make much sense he's been playing. They wouldn't say, "oh you have an off day on Sept. 6th, that will be a convenient time to start your suspension".

I'm sure there's a grace period where he can decide what he wants to do.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 04:43 PM)
If he's not appealing and he failed the drug test 2 weeks ago, it doesn't make much sense he's been playing. They wouldn't say, "oh you have an off day on Sept. 6th, that will be a convenient time to start your suspension".

Unless he has a 2 week window to DECIDE to appeal. I mean, his lawyer/agent might need time to look it over, and see if it's worth it to appeal. That could take time.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 06:37 PM)
I know guys that work at the ballpark. The rumors are more than swirling at this point there. I never said it was a fact, just what i heard from them.

I'm sure the rumors are swirling around the ballpark after they've been posted on the two biggest Sox related message boards all day. :lolhitting

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Sep 5, 2012 -> 11:47 PM)
I'm sure the rumors are swirling around the ballpark after they've been posted on the two biggest Sox related message boards all day. :lolhitting

Say they were to have a press conference tomorrow at the Cell (I know they're not typically announced at a press conference, but it doesn't mean KW can't hold one). If there was a press conference, maybe it's workers there trying to connect the dots??