Sox vs. Tigers in Zanzibar

Quin

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 09:01 PM)
Can the Sox trade Dunn and then sign David Ortiz :)

If the Sox don't sign AJ, I still believe they'll go with the tandem of Flowers and Kurt Suzuki (once a Sox killer, always a Sox killer)

Dunn would be the first guy I would try to trade.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 09:56 PM)
Their main runs have been when they fattened up on the Indians at midseason, the Twins and the Royals (until they were swept in KC).

And winning 9/10 against the White Sox after starting out 3-4.

That has allowed them to surge from 6 games under to 8 over, but it hasn't been from beating some of the really good teams the White Sox have handled like the Yankees, Angels or Rangers.

but isn't that what's so infuriating? Every time we play the tigers i keep asking myself how in the hell are we staying ahead of these guys, they have much better pitching and offense? then we go and sweep NY in NY, and they get swept by KC?

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 09:05 PM)
but isn't that what's so infuriating? Every time we play the tigers i keep asking myself how in the hell are we staying ahead of these guys, they have much better pitching and offense? then we go and sweep NY in NY, and they get swept by KC?

The Sox have done the little things much better. Most of the season this is one of the best Sox teams in fundamentals we have seen.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 04:00 AM)
There are NO free agent catchers that are any good.

It's either Flowers or a trade.

The rest of the money has to go to replacing Peavy, 3B and the bullpen (possibly, if they trade Crain or Thornton).

Or we can tear things up by dealing Ramirez, Rios or Dunn.

The last two won't get us much talent back...Ramirez might, but we don't have a replacement for him that's close to ready.

Sanchez doesn't profile as a major league SS. Better off at 2B or 3B.

This was a frustrating season because Detroit underachieved except in head-to-head games against the Sox. It was our chance to win the division. Detroit isn't going anywhere and the Sox will have wasted career type years from Rios, AJ and one of the best first halves of Paulie's career. Also Peavy was very good early.

Obviously we couldn't overcome the injuries to Danks and Floyd and the loss of Buehrle in the long run to go with the continued s***tiness of our main relievers Thornton and Crain.

Still with Detroit sucking we needed to win the division this year cause Detroit probably will wake up and play to its potential next season. Sox have a lot of work to do on the roster this offseason after losing yet another starter in Peavy and a third sacker in Youk.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 04:09 AM)
They seem to have decent scouts.

Making a significant investment in scouts and player development is a direction that organization needs to go but for whatever reason refuses. The Sox are going to have to get very lucky at 'finding guys' to avoid 90+ loss seasons in the near future given the lack of talent in the organization.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 04:14 AM)
I feel like we are getting teased.

I think it's called choking. The players choke when it's close. Detroit moves it to 8-1 and the heat's off and we score four. Now it's close again and we won't hit the rest of the way.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 09:15 PM)
I'm thinking a lot of this is mental. Once it gets to 8-1 and the pressure is off the Sox score a bunch. Now that it's a three-run game and we technically are back in the game, the hitters will be all tight and fail again.

The lap dance is over.