2013 Schedule

flavum

MLB releases the schedule at noon (ct) today.

They're going back to 19 division games, so it could be 10 games at Comerica next year.

I seriously hate 76 division games. Especially since the Sox can't seem to beat them. If they don't have players that can beat these teams, then they have to change the players.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 09:14 AM)
MLB releases the schedule at noon (ct) today.

They're going back to 19 division games, so it could be 10 games at Comerica next year.

I seriously hate 76 division games. Especially since the Sox can't seem to beat them. If they don't have players that can beat these teams, then they have to change the players.

Sept. 12th. First place 2 game lead. I'll take it every year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 09:20 AM)
Sept. 12th. First place 2 game lead. I'll take it every year.

It feels like we're being led to the gas chamber. I just don't like how the rest of the Sox and Tigers schedules match up for the Sox. They have that edge, for whatever that's worth. I'm thinking a 2-game lead after this series, we'll lose Game 163 at Detroit. A tie after this series, we're dead meat. 4-game lead--we have a very good chance to win the division.

In the end, if the Sox go 5-13 against the Tigers, we deserve to lose and they deserve to win.

But if we're playing 19 games a year against these same 4 teams, you better damn well have rosters that can beat these teams if you intend to make the playoffs.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 03:26 PM)
It feels like we're being led to the gas chamber. I just don't like how the rest of the Sox and Tigers schedules match up for the Sox. They have that edge, for whatever that's worth. I'm thinking a 2-game lead after this series, we'll lose Game 163 at Detroit. A tie after this series, we're dead meat. 4-game lead--we have a very good chance to win the division.

In the end, if the Sox go 5-13 against the Tigers, we deserve to lose and they deserve to win.

But if we're playing 19 games a year against these same 4 teams, you better damn well have rosters that can beat these teams if you intend to make the playoffs.

Get a few more lefties into the core lineup, IMO. Tons of RHP in the division.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 09:47 AM)
So they are changing from 18 games per year vs each division opponent to 19 games.

That's 4 more games per year against division opponents.

That's 2.5% of the schedule that is switching to division games.

Hardly worth complaining about.

I complain about 18 too. I hate the unbalanced schedule. I hate divisions. Especially now that 5 teams qualify for the playoffs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 09:59 AM)
With the emphasis being on winning your division, beating your divisional teams seems like the best way to earn it.

Yeah, I wish they would change the empahsis to being one of the top 5 teams in your 15-team league.

But that's just me.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)
Here's the Rays schedule...

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/content..._medium=twitter

6 of their 19 off days are in August. WTF?

Including the All Star break, 11 days off in the month and a half between the middle of July and end of August. They should be properly rested for the stretch run.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 10:13 AM)
Including the All Star break, 11 days off in the month and a half between the middle of July and end of August. They should be properly rested for the stretch run.

I noticed the final day is a Monday, but I thought they said it would be Sunday, September 29. Seems this may be inaccurate. We'll see at noon.

It would probably be a mistake to have your final day of the season up against Monday Night Football. I think a Tuesday or Wednesday would be better. Look how 2011 worked out on that Wednesday night. That worked out pretty well.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 09:26 AM)

I disagree with you. Do the Tigers "deserve to win" the way they've gotten their asses handed to them by the rest of MLB outside the Sox since the break? To paraphrase Hawk, HELL NO.

We have an above average team in the worst division in baseball, playing a bunch of other slightly above average, average or slightly below average teams.

Is it really that surprising that we would struggle against some teams and handle others, and ultimately put up something in the neighborhood of a .500 record in our division? I don't think so.

The fact of the matter is that this team has played well all year in stretches, played poorly in others.

A particularly maddening thing every fan of this team tends to overlook is that injuries have absolutely killed us this year. We are playing against Detroit these seven games largely without our best power hitter all year. Konerko was out for a stretch, De Aza was out for a stretch, Youk was gone for a couple games, and now Dunn is out indefinitely. That's not even mentioning Danks, Floyd, Sale's dead arm scares.

The fact this team is still in this thing is a bloody miracle.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

Breakdown:

(Home-Away-Total)

Cle 10-9-19

Det 10-9-19

KC 10-9-19

Min 9-10-19

Bal 3-4-7

Bos 3-3-6

NY 3-3-6

TB 4-3-7

Tor 3-4-7

Hou 3-4-7

LAA 3-4-7

Oak 4-3-7

Sea 3-3-6

Tex 3-3-6

Cubs 2-2-4

Atl 3-0-3

Mia 3-0-3

NYM 2-2-4

Phi 0-3-3

Was 0-3-3

2-game series: 5 (2 back-to-back with cubs)

3-game series: 36

4-game series: 11 (12 if you include the Cubs series)

Weird there are uneven number of home/away games against division opponents.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 11:59 AM)
Breakdown:

(Home-Away-Total)

Cle 10-9-19

Det 10-9-19

KC 10-9-19

Min 9-10-19

Bal 3-4-7

Bos 3-3-6

NY 3-3-6

TB 4-3-7

Tor 3-4-7

Hou 3-4-7

LAA 3-4-7

Oak 4-3-7

Sea 3-3-6

Tex 3-3-6

Cubs 2-2-4

Atl 3-0-3

Mia 3-0-3

NYM 2-2-4

Phi 0-3-3

Was 0-3-3

2-game series: 5 (2 back-to-back with cubs)

3-game series: 36

4-game series: 11 (12 if you include the Cubs series)

Weird there are uneven number of home/away games against division opponents.

At least we get the extra home game against DET and KC, as those are the teams that scare me the most for 2013 (as it stands now - obviously the offseason could change that).

s***ty schedule for an East Coast fan trying to get to a game on a weekend. I was hoping to go to Citi Field, but during the week in May won't work. My best bets are @Cleveland 4/12-4/14, @Philly 7/12-7/14 or @Boston 8/30-9/1. Looks like Philly will be my main target. Woulda been nice if DC or Toronto were on the weekend. Oh well.

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 02:19 PM)
s***ty schedule for an East Coast fan trying to get to a game on a weekend. I was hoping to go to Citi Field, but during the week in May won't work. My best bets are @Cleveland 4/12-4/14, @Philly 7/12-7/14 or @Boston 8/30-9/1. Looks like Philly will be my main target. Woulda been nice if DC or Toronto were on the weekend. Oh well.

My thoughts exactly. No NYC, DC or Toronto options this year. Baltimore in play though

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix