• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil Rogers

On Baseball

8:52 a.m. CDT, September 17, 2012

Talking baseball while worrying about the NHL season:

1. Can Jose Quintana do it again?

If the White Sox hold off the Tigers for the AL Central title, we may very well look back at his start last Monday as one of the biggest games of the season. He gave Robin Ventura 7 2/3 very strong innings and a victory over Detroit when the starting rotation was hurting.

Related

Extra rest has Quintana ready to go

Sox sweep Twins, increase lead to 2 over Tigers

Photos: Sox sweep Twins again

Readers' Q&A: Mark Gonzales' White Sox mailbag

Ads by Google

The Declarer

Floyd McWilliams' blog: Politics, baseball, bridge

thedeclarer.blogspot.com/Custom Drives

Development, prototypes, testing production, assembl. from one hand

www.Framo-Morat.comThanks to last Thursday’s rainout, he gets an unexpected chance for an encore Monday.

The 23-year-old Colombian joined the White Sox rotation in late May, when John Danks left it because of problems with his shoulder, and has been one of the most essential guys over the last four months. He’s an ongoing sneak attack, an afterthought who performs like the guys earning $10 million.

Because he spent the first two months at Double-A, he won’t qualify for the earned run average title. That’s a shame, because his 3.52 would rank 12thin the AL – between Jarrod Parker and CC Sabathia – if he did.

Having watched him all season, I’d consider placing him on a Rookie of the Year ballot if I was voting in that category. But it seems very unlikely that he will actually receive any consideration, as this has been a terrific year for rookies in the AL.

Mike Trout will get all 28 first-place votes, along with a significant number of first places in MVP voting. The A’s Yoenis Cespedes is also having a very impressive first season in North America, and the crop of rookie pitchers is really rich.

Cespedes’ teammates Parker (11-8, 3.51 in 26 starts) and Tommy Milone (13-10, 3.81) have contributed greatly in Oakland, having the second-best record in the AL, and a shot to overtake Texas for the AL West title. The Rangers’ Yu Darvish has 15 wins and 205 strikeouts. Tampa Bay lefty Matt Moore (10-11, 3.88, 169 strikeouts in 169 1-3 innings) and Orioles lefty Wei-Yin Chen (12-9, 4.00) have helped keep their teams in the playoff picture. Minnesota’s Scott Diamond, whom the White Sox beat Sunday, is a solid 11-8, 3.69.

Then there are the rookie relievers. Addison Reed has 26 saves for the White Sox, and Oakland’s Ryan Cook has a 1.01 WHIP over 62 appearances.

Eight players received ROY votes in the AL a year ago. If Quintana is going to put himself into the discussion among the runnersup behind Trout, he needs a strong finish.

That could get him something just as nice on his permanent record – a chance to start in the postseason.

2. Jose Valverde’s costly meltdown in Cleveland on Sunday was even worse that it looks in the box score. He caught a huge break when first-base umpire Brian Knight missed a fair-foul call on Asdrubal Cabrera’s soft fly down the right-field line after Jason Kipnis’ leadoff double. Replays showed the ball clearly hit on or just inside the line but Knight called it foul, and Valverde then retired Cabrera for the first out. That could have been the type of call to turn the division race but Carlos Santana followed with a triple that bounced out of Don Kelly’s glove at the right-field wall and, after a pair of intentional walks, Lonnie Chisenhall lined a ball to deep right to score Santana with the game-winner. The loss was the Tigers’ ninth straight in one-run games. They haven’t had a one-run win since Aug. 24.

3. Wish I’d been at Wrigley Field to watch Jorge Soler and Albert Almora work out. The Cubs were smart to get their top prospects to Wrigley for batting practice and a chance to walk the park where they will play. Both look like stone-cold hitters who could arrive with the kind of impact that Starlin Castro has had. One thing is curious to me. MLB.com just ranked each club’s top 20 prospects, and listed Soler as the Cubs’ No. 5. Are they kidding? You can argue that the Cuban isn’t worth the $30 million deal he got – a losing argument, by the way, if Soler does have a long big-league career – but he might be the No. 5 prospect in the minors, not in the Cubs’ system. I’ve talked to scouts who saw him play for Cuba’s junior national team and one highly respected scout with another organization who went to the Dominican Republic to try him out. They rave about him, his ability as a power hitter in particular. I know shortstop Javier Baez had a big season this year, but if I’m ranking the Cubs’ prospects I start with Soler.

progers@tribune.com

By Mark Gonzales, Chicago Tribune reporter

8:32 p.m. CDT, September 16, 2012

MINNEAPOLIS — Rookie left-hander Jose Quintana didn't hide the fact that two extra days of rest made him feel better entering Monday's start against American League Central enemy Detroit.

"It actually does feel good about this time of the season to get a couple of extra days," said Quintana, who will try to beat the Tigers for the second time in eight days. "It gives your arm a little bit more strength, so I'll feel good for (Monday)."

But another issue facing Quintana will be his plan of attack against the Tigers, whom he had success against in the latter innings on Sept. 10 by pitching away more frequently from their right-handed hitters.

Quintana said he would attack them the same way, and catcher A.J. Pierzynski added they would adjust as needed. Pierzynski said it was important for Quintana to settle into a rhythm early, especially after working out of a third-inning jam in which he induced Miguel Cabrera to ground into a double play and retired Prince Fielder on a called third strike.

"It looked like the double play settled him down," Pierzynski said. "He did it in a huge situation, and it settled him down."

Quintana has thrown 122 2/3 innings for the Sox and 48 2/3 innings at Double-A Birmingham.

Left is all right: The Sox handled Minnesota left-hander Scott Diamond, further alleviating any concerns that the Sox don't have a right-handed hitting backup outfielder.

"It's just one of those (things)," manager Robin Ventura said. "We have good outfielders. I'm not worried as much as we need another right-handed outfielder."

Detroit could encounter the same problem if leadoff batter/center fielder Austin Jackson can't play Monday because of a sore left ankle. The Tigers could be forced to start two left-handed hitting outfielders against Quintana.

Extra innings: The Sox limited Minnesota to 12 hits in the three-game series. ... Ventura plans to give right fielder Alex Rios a rest in one of the three games at Kansas City this week, although Rios was pulled in the middle of the sixth inning Sunday. ... Rios batted .418 against the Twins this season. ... Tom Paciorek will serve as color analyst on Monday's telecast of the Sox's game in place of Steve Stone, who will observe Rosh Hashanah. Late last week, Sox third baseman Kevin Youkilis said he would play. ... Gates to U.S. Cellular Field will open Monday at noon.

White Sox look to build on Central lead vs. Tigers

By Anthony Odoardi / MLB.com | 9/16/2012 7:42 PM ET

Comments (21)Tweet

The rain washed away Thursday's series finale between the White Sox and Tigers. It also washed away the heavyweight matchup of Justin Verlander vs. Chris Sale. But it couldn't take away from the importance of Monday's makeup game.

The White Sox lead the Tigers by two games in the American League Central.

Both teams will fly in for a 1:10 p.m. CT start at U.S. Cellular Field. The Sox will be coming back from Minnesota, while the Tigers will take the short flight from Cleveland.

For the Tigers, it will be Doug Fister (9-8, 3.49 ERA) getting the call. Two of Fister's last three starts have come against Chicago. He threw five innings and allowed three runs -- two earned -- on four hits in a no-decision on Aug. 31. He gave up two hits -- both solo home runs -- in seven innings to earn the win on Tuesday against Chicago.

"It's definitely a step in the right direction," said Fister, who has been battling injuries for most of the season, including a recent groin strain. "I don't want to say I'm in midseason form, but I'm still trying to make as many adjustments as possible."

The Sox will go with 23-year-old rookie Jose Quintana (6-4, 3.52 ERA), who was pushed back from Saturday's scheduled start and will be going on six days' rest.

Quintana's first year in the big leagues has unquestionably been impressive, but his mettle will be tested as he pitches in one of the biggest games of the season. If his last outing is any indication -- he fired 7 2/3 innings of one-run ball vs. Detroit last Monday -- he should be just fine.

"I don't see it as putting pressure on myself," Quintana said through an interpreter Sunday. "I see it as another game, that's kind of how I go about each outing. But I know it's an important game for us, and so I'm going to go out there and do the best I can and try to help this team get a win."

Tigers: Fister has been successful at U.S. Cellular Field

• Fister is 1-2 with a 3.35 ERA in six career starts against the White Sox. He is 1-0 with a 2.40 ERA in two starts at U.S. Cellular Field.

• Austin Jackson was a late scratch from Sunday's lineup with a sore left ankle. Jackson was injured jumping into the center-field wall attempting to save Anibal Sanchez's no-hit bid in the seventh inning on Saturday. It's possible he could miss Monday's game.

"I guess just the impact of it was what I was feeling afterwards," Jackson said.

• Outfielder Quintin Berry, who was already in the lineup but moved over to center field, started his second game in a row for the Tigers on Sunday after not starting two consecutive games since Aug. 3-4 -- also against Cleveland.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Sep 17, 2012 -> 10:12 AM)
Sox desperately need this one today ... Tigers have 13 games against the Twinkies and Royals to close the season ... Let's go boys!!!

I wouldn't necessarily use the "D" word in reference to the Sox, but this game is HUUUGE.

Let's go get this one. :bringit :gosox2: :gosoxretro: :gosox4: :gosox3: :gosox1:

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 17, 2012 -> 10:19 AM)
By Mark Gonzales, Chicago Tribune reporter

8:32 p.m. CDT, September 16, 2012

Tom Paciorek will serve as color analyst on Monday's telecast of the Sox's game in place of Steve Stone, who will observe Rosh Hashanah. [/i]

Damn. I wish I was at home, instead of having to listen on-line.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Sep 17, 2012 -> 10:12 AM)
Sox desperately need this one today ... Tigers have 13 games against the Twinkies and Royals to close the season ... Let's go boys!!!

Detroit is 14-9 on the season against Minnesota and Kansas City. It's good, but it's not bonkers. On top of that, Minnesota's lineup is healthy again and they can be play pretty tough. Kansas City is also 24-20 in their previous 44.

Those games are not a cake walk. The Sox will need to take care of business today, but losing is not the end of the world.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 17, 2012 -> 10:06 AM)
Wise CF

Youkilis 3B

Dunn 1B

Konerko DH

Rios RF

Pierzynski C

Viciedo LF

Ramirez SS

Beckham 2B

Great lineup. Just win. Win ugly, grind it out, take advantage of Tony Tigs shoddy

Defense. Whatever.

I like the Q-man here on extra rest. Really want to win this game. GO WHITE SOX

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 17, 2012 -> 10:30 AM)
Detroit is 14-9 on the season against Minnesota and Kansas City. It's good, but it's not bonkers. On top of that, Minnesota's lineup is healthy again and they can be play pretty tough. Kansas City is also 24-20 in their previous 44.

Those games are not a cake walk. The Sox will need to take care of business today, but losing is not the end of the world.

I think yesterday's loss was the end of the world for the tigers, possibly.

If the Sox had lost a game that exact way, people would be jumping off the cliff here.

a win today by the Sox would probably be the death blow.

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Sep 17, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)
at work and cant get to twitter.. can you quote the tweet in the thread please flavum.. thx

Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales

Wise in Sox's lineup, RV says De Aza ''out of sync,'' will return later this week.

Also this one worth mentioning...

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan

De Aza is fine; had that four-strikeout game Saturday, which Ventura alluded to. Ventura likes Wise.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 17, 2012 -> 10:51 AM)

Tigers v. Quintana: Jackson 8, Infante 4, Cabrera 5, Fielder 3, Young DH, Peralta 6, Boesch 9, Garcia 7, Laird 2. Fister pitching.

Bummer. I was hoping the injury would keep him out. I'd say he is their second most important hitter behind Cabrera.

Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales

Wise in Sox's lineup, RV says De Aza ''out of sync,'' will return later this week.

Also this one worth mentioning...

De Aza is fine; had that four-strikeout game Saturday, which Ventura alluded to. Ventura likes Wise.

Wise has a .931 OPS in September and I have no problem with riding the hot hand, but DeAza has a .777 OPS in the last two seasons and I hope nobody starts thinking of Wise as a permanent replacement for DeAza.