9/19 White Sox at Royals

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 10:41 PM)
Again, Chen is actually tougher on righties than he is on lefties.

I agree we should have score 4+ runs easily tonight, but the fact that we didn't only magnifies the mistakes we did make. I don't know why the guy can't just LOOK AT THE DATA instead of going with the traditional righty-lefty/lefty-righty matchups every damned time.

Who knows what might have happened had he actually put the players that had the best chance to succeed in instead of just automatically going with the traditional opposite matchup EVERY SINGLE TIME. Maybe Flowers and Beckham get hits off of Holland instead of the two easy outs that two cold guys off the bench were against a guy throwing 99.

Is that too much to ask, honestly?

Chen is tougher vs. RHP, but Wise was 1/6 & De Aza was 1/5. You can pick & choose your stats.

Flowers has a 1.000 OPS vs. LHP, .613 vs. RHP, maybe Robin doesn't trust him vs. a righty?

Robin has made some bad decisions this month, but if there is ever a night to let your agenda against him slide, tonight is it.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 04:44 AM)
Yes. I am sure there is a matchup coming up where he hits less that .417 against a pitcher we don't call CY because the entire team fails to hit him. I would have sat him in whichever game that might be.

I feel if he needs rest, he needs rest. Sit him. You'd think maybe Flowers could connect against that soft ass s*** Chen lobs up there.

Also, you may consider me insane after reading this, but I also consider law of averages. OK, AJ is hitting .417 against him. That doesn't mean he's going to rap 3-4 hits and improve that to .500. It means he probably will go 0-4 and lower it to the mean. I mean these numbers don't mean there's not an 0-fer coming. With your logic, AJ will ALWAYS rake against Chen so in 2-3 games from now, he'll be hitting .650 or .700 versus him. Look at it this way. Chen was due to get him out.

I blame Flowers. Hit the f***ing slow s*** Chen flips up there like a halfway decent Class A player could.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 09:49 PM)
Chen is tougher vs. RHP, but Wise was 1/6 & De Aza was 1/5. You can pick & choose your stats.

Flowers has a 1.000 OPS vs. LHP, .613 vs. RHP, maybe Robin doesn't trust him vs. a righty?

Robin has made some bad decisions this month, but if there is ever a night to let your agenda against him slide, tonight is it.

Yeah, I understand getting Flowers in there, and I understand Viciedo.

It isn't fair for me to argue that he needs to use data and then suggest he shouldn't use it when it doesn't suit my argument.

It's unfortunate that Dayan and Flowers didn't get the job done when they had the chance.

I still have a major problem with his failure to look at statistics and instead just going with the traditional opposite-handedness is the best approach. I guarantee you that is why Flowers and Viciedo started, and AJ and Wise did not. I doubt he even was aware of their career numbers against Chen.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 10:03 PM)
s***ty f***ing effort. Their ineptitude against this team is so frustrating.

We don't get on base. Lets not just assume it's poor effort, when we in fact lost the way one would expect us to lose.

The shocker would be games where we pitch poorly, or fail with the glove. Those have been our strengths.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 04:53 AM)
We don't get on base. Lets not just assume it's poor effort, when we in fact lost the way one would expect us to lose.

The shocker would be games where we pitch poorly, or fail with the glove. Those have been our strengths.

Yeah, we hit just enough one run homers to beat KC on Tuesday. Our offense isn't built for the postseason, that's one of the reasons I don't think we gonna make it.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 03:53 AM)

Sox had more than enough base runners to win tonight. Problem is this team is struggling big time with RISP (and has all season vs the Royals).

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 09:53 PM)

We stranded like 10 baserunners tonight. We had guys on base. We haven't been able to score runs without hitting the home run. That's what it has been boiling down to.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 04:55 AM)
We stranded like 10 baserunners tonight. We had guys on base. We haven't been able to score runs without hitting the home run. That's what it has been boiling down to.

The KC outfield defense makes the Sox into a station-to-station team more than any other opponent the Sox play.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 09:57 PM)
The KC outfield defense makes the Sox into a station-to-station team more than any other opponent the Sox play.

Yeah, but even still, we had doubles and triples tonight...we just didn't get them we needed them. And station-to-station would have worked just fine in the 4th had we gotten a few productive outs out of Dayan and Ramirez.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 10:59 PM)
We only 2 hits in one inning one time.

And yet we still could have won 2-1.

But yeah, they were pretty scattered tonight.

Youk killed us tonight as well. How does one guy get 4 hits and you still get shutout?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 10:52 PM)
Yeah, I understand getting Flowers in there, and I understand Viciedo.

It isn't fair for me to argue that he needs to use data and then suggest he shouldn't use it when it doesn't suit my argument.

It's unfortunate that Dayan and Flowers didn't get the job done when they had the chance.

I still have a major problem with his failure to look at statistics and instead just going with the traditional opposite-handedness is the best approach. I guarantee you that is why Flowers and Viciedo started, and AJ and Wise did not. I doubt he even was aware of their career numbers against Chen.

I get what you are saying. Robin has not made the best decisions recently, but the starters today were put in positions to perform, and they did not get the job done. We can both be right. ;)

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 11:01 PM)
KC also had a ton of chances to score runs tonight as well. This loss is not nearly as frustrating as the two losses to them at the Cell a few weeks ago.

The Tank/Alexei ABs were as frustrating as you can get, but other than that I concur.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 04:40 AM)
Are we seriously going to continue to get shut out by Cy Chen? This s*** is ridiculous.

Yes. As great a season as the Sox have had, the Sox simply suck vs. KC. You can see it in their faces on the closeups. You can see it when they put the camera on Yost. KC expects to kick our ass and they usually do. This will be what the fourth straight series they've won vs. Sox? Or fifth?

Edited by greg775