Banning Father Daughter dances in school

greg775

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)
Just a small nitpick but I think they got rid of peanut butter and peanut products because they could so easily contaminate other foods. Using the same knife, used to be on the counter, etc.

No I get that, but i'm sure you could let the teachers know who has allergies (they do already) and watch out for them. It's not like 3rd graders prepare their own meals, they just eat what they're given.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
Oh yeah I missed that. I thought it was a "we have to make single parent kids feel like they're the same despite the fact that they're not so let's cancel the event for everyone." I didn't realize it was a gender stereotyping issue. That's even more f***ed up.

That's exactly how it started though.

I'm glad I never lived anywhere that had Mother Son dances, cause my Mother would have dragged me to one of those awful events.

Also, I loved that this all happened over four months ago and no one in that town gave a s***, until a politician made it his campaign focus.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 12:18 PM)
No I get that, but i'm sure you could let the teachers know who has allergies (they do already) and watch out for them. It's not like 3rd graders prepare their own meals, they just eat what they're given.

I think the schools would rather eliminate the possibilty of a screwup completely rather than get gutted in a lawsuit because a dumb teacher/lunch lady gave the wrong kid a sandwich with pb on it and have the kid die in front of his/her classmates.

I know what you are saying, I wish people could all be infallible after being taught things, but people screw up a lot.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 12:54 PM)
I think the schools would rather eliminate the possibilty of a screwup completely rather than get gutted in a lawsuit because a dumb teacher/lunch lady gave the wrong kid a sandwich with pb on it and have the kid die in front of his/her classmates.

I know what you are saying, I wish people could all be infallible after being taught things, but people screw up a lot.

I've heard of schools banning it completely so that other kids can't even bring a PB&J sandwich from home.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 12:54 PM)

But where do you draw the line on this?

Peanut Butter, Nuts, Honey? While more common, there ARE other allergies out there...such as dairy, etc...should we just ban all food because of such a possibility?

We all made it through school eating peanut butter...kids that were allergic to it...well, they just didn't eat it.

Edited by Y2HH

1. Banning peanut butter is f***ing stupid. That's the kid/parent's responsibility.

2. Anyone that thinks sports would be banned is delusional. THERE ARE f***ING TRYOUTS FOR A REASON. TO CUT PEOPLE. A player can't argue with getting cut if they are physically/mentally unable to perform the tasks. Otherwise get rid of school altogether, because there are things like special ed. and honors classes. Stop trying to dramatize the point and creating a clear agenda.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 01:30 PM)

Peanut Butter, Nuts, Honey? While more common, there ARE other allergies out there...such as dairy, etc...should we just ban all food because of such a possibility?

We all made it through school eating peanut butter...kids that were allergic to it...well, they just didn't eat it.

We also used to have classroom parties for Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's day, etc... One of my best friends in grade school was a Jehovah's witness. On the days of these parties, he just wouldn't participate. It was never a big deal.

They don't have any classroom parties anymore for the same basic reasoning. "If my child can't have it, nobody can". Like I said it's getting ridiculous.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 05:38 PM)
You all missed half the point. The ACLU was saying that the schools had no business in trying to 'force' these gender stereotypes that all girls want a dance or that all guys want to play sports. So the mere fact that it is daddy-daughter dance, and not parent-kid dance is one of the complaints.

Yes but the ACLU is a joke because the school has something for the dads and something for the moms. What's wrong with having a dad-daughter dance? Do a google search for that video of the comedian and his daughter doing this well thought out dance routine. It's hilarious and something that daughter will never forget, being with her dad in a dance routine like that.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 06:37 PM)
I'm glad I never lived anywhere that had Mother Son dances, cause my Mother would have dragged me to one of those awful events.

Also, I loved that this all happened over four months ago and no one in that town gave a s***, until a politician made it his campaign focus.

LOL. That's funny. I also would have despised going to a mother-son dance in grade school. Woulda been awful.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 07:45 PM)
1. Banning peanut butter is f***ing stupid. That's the kid/parent's responsibility.

2. Anyone that thinks sports would be banned is delusional. THERE ARE f***ING TRYOUTS FOR A REASON. TO CUT PEOPLE. A player can't argue with getting cut if they are physically/mentally unable to perform the tasks. Otherwise get rid of school altogether, because there are things like special ed. and honors classes. Stop trying to dramatize the point and creating a clear agenda.

I'm not saying special ed kids suing. Just a regular kid so hurt by getting cut that he doesn't want to go to school anymore. I can picture the parent: "Why can't my son be on the team? He is willing to go to practices and games just like the kids who are on the team? Let my son on the team dammit or we are suing you!!! My son is emotionally distressed over this."

The peanut butter thing is insane. If you are allergic to it ... you don't order it from the cafeteria or bring it. You don't ban it from the menu. I'm allergic to Fritos. I remember a lot of kids eating those when we were little. I just didn't eat 'em.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 01:30 PM)

I dont know where the line is drawn. I dont think its right, but I see why they do it. This is a nation of lawyerin up, and people just dont want to deal with the repercussions of one bad decision

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
I dont know where the line is drawn. I dont think its right, but I see why they do it. This is a nation of lawyerin up, and people just dont want to deal with the repercussions of one bad decision

Absolutely no doubt about it, this country has gone litigation insane.

People can die from peanut allergies, dairy allergies just give you a stomach ache. Kids can accidentally put things in their mouths, i've seen it! I don't see a problem with removing peanuts from their lunches. That's not really a grave injustice any more than not allowing kids to bring knives to school.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 02:08 PM)
People can die from peanut allergies, dairy allergies just give you a stomach ache. Kids can accidentally put things in their mouths, i've seen it! I don't see a problem with removing peanuts from their lunches. That's not really a grave injustice any more than not allowing kids to bring knives to school.

Uh, yea, it is...it's way different than bringing weapons to school.

And there are different degrees of allergic reactions, some kids can die from a bee sting, too...should we ban bees from being outdoors? :P This is absurd to even discuss. If I want my kid to be eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, they should be allowed to do so...but because some other kid has a peanut allergy they cant? f*** that other kid. :P

I think it's more important to teach kids to be careful and watch out for themselves rather than to teach them that the world will watch out for them.

They aren't going to be able to walk into any grocery store, restaurant, lunchroom, house, etc... and tell everyone there "Hey I'm allergic to ______ so nobody else here can have it."

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 07:48 PM)
I think it's more important to teach kids to be careful and watch out for themselves rather than to teach them that the world will watch out for them.

They aren't going to be able to walk into any grocery store, restaurant, lunchroom, house, etc... and tell everyone there "Hey I'm allergic to ______ so nobody else here can have it."

We are talking about 1st-3rd graders in school. These existential lessons tend to get lost when the child gets sent to the hospital.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)
We are talking about 1st-3rd graders in school. These existential lessons tend to get lost when the child gets sent to the hospital.

Yet they're old enough to teach about not talking to strangers...

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 11:02 AM)
I think his point was that instead of giving kids with nut allergies something different than peanut butter, schools have decided to just not give peanut butter to anyone so that the kids with the allergy don't feel left out or different.

That's not why they institute peanut butter bans. Even the residue can cause severe reactions for some people. Have you ever been on a flight when they're prepping it for someone with peanut allergies? The wipe down several rows around the seat that person is going to be sitting in because even a tiny amount can be deadly.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 08:21 PM)
Yet they're old enough to teach about not talking to strangers...

The school also doesn't allow strangers to walk in to the school. Are they infringing on the kids rights there too?

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)
I've heard of schools banning it completely so that other kids can't even bring a PB&J sandwich from home.

Because kids are disgusting, especially with peanut butter, and the likelihood of them getting peanut butter on a desk, door handle or anything else a kid with peanut allergies might touch is about 100%.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)
The school also doesn't allow strangers to walk in to the school. Are they infringing on the kids rights there too?

You're talking about apples and oranges now, but nice try, troll.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)
You brought that example up.

No, I did no such thing.

I merely mentioned that these 1st-3rd graders are old enough to be taught to not talk to strangers -- OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL -- and you suddenly said strangers are entering into schools or some such nonsense?!

Not the same.

My point was that if we can teach them important things like crossing streets, and not talking to strangers, common safety...then they can be taught to not eat something that will kill them. They're not that dumb. The way you dismissed it like, they're just 1st-3rd graders seems to be you saying that they're too dumb to know these things...and that's simply not true.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 09:05 PM)
No, I did no such thing.

I merely mentioned that these 1st-3rd graders are old enough to be taught to not talk to strangers -- OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL -- and you suddenly said strangers are entering into schools or some such nonsense?!

Not the same.

My point was that if we can teach them important things like crossing streets, and not talking to strangers, common safety...then they can be taught to not eat something that will kill them. They're not that dumb. The way you dismissed it like, they're just 1st-3rd graders seems to be you saying that they're too dumb to know these things...and that's simply not true.

No, what I said fits in perfectly. You can still teach these kids values like that to help them avoid danger. But just because you are doing that doesn't mean you can't help remove some of the dangers from their lives.

Example:

1) Remember to look both ways and always cross at a crosswalk

-Yet schools still regularly supply crossing guards to keep the children from getting run over by a car.

2) Scissors are dangerous

-Yet schools still often require children in grads 1-4 to have those harmless plastic scissors

Schools are responsible for teaching children but also providing them with a safe environment. If the school has numerous children violently allergic to peanuts, they have to assure their safety just as they have to assure anyone else.