Chicago White Sox @ LAA Angels

justBLAZE

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2012 -> 10:52 PM)
Nice post.

I'm not saying he should give a pep talk, I just find it funny that obviously the team is dead and is in need of some words of wisdom from somebody. Or Youk should turn a table over. You have to admit the team is playing dead. Awful hitting. Awful baserunning in KC. Not like a real contender that is for sure.

Youk shouldn't do anything.

It's getting annoying that the players with the highest salaries are not carrying the team.

When Peavy is on the mound it's like having Liriano out there. You have little confidence in getting a W.

Despite Dunn's RBIs and HRs, his high K rate I think makes many AL pitcher not afraid of him.

Plus there are some guys on the team with very little major league experience. That's starting to show.

The organization needs to address the catcher and 3rd base for the future. A.J. and Youk can't last forever.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 05:13 AM)
So what was Hawk saying during the game that was so negative about the Sox? Oh, please move Beckham to the 2nd spot, as Youk is too easy of an out right now.

He was pointing out the Sox are very tight at the plate with runners in scoring position. He said that's really bad because they should be loose and pitchers should be tight in those situations.

He said the Sox have played bad baseball even during the 5 game win streak. But he did say they were not out of it yet.

I think Hawk like everybody else realizes these losses to KC have not been indicative of a team trying to wrap up a division. We've had so many chances to put Detroit away. He and Stoney both talked about how it's home run or nothing with the Sox offense. Stoney said it's been like that a long while.

You had to listen to it but it was like a death knoll tonight from Hawk.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 05:34 AM)
I'm at work, pal.

Kidding, but I am at work. I can multi-task so I can monitor the game and post on here while also working.

I do most of my internet posting at work. :-) I'm not really that good at multi-tasking, though...

Set my alarm to get back up and watch this game during the night. Slept right through the feckin' thing so missed it all. Sounds like I was better off catching up on my sleep. :-(

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 05:23 AM)
It's because pep talks don't do s***. This is a game in which the manager has to look and see whether bad play is happening because of something controllable or mere chance. When the best players only succeed 30% of the time (at the plate), a long streak of failures is well within the realm of possibility on a "normal" day. A slight downturn in production (like from 4 runs a game to 3 runs a game, which usually constitutes the difference between a winning run and a losing run) is bound to happen fairly often just by chance. You can't treat it like a football coach would because in football most players execute at an extremely high rate by nature of the game. You can't out-motivate chance.

Having heads up asses and being in a statistically likely bad stretch look remarkably similar. Managers have to discern which is occurring and strong reactions usually wind up with a manager getting bad about things that are bound to happen, statistically. Robin can focus on the mistakes like the fielding, baserunning ones and just hope the offensive issues are going to be self-correcting. Obviously Manto is always going to be working hard to keep players going, so you can't say that he needs to suddenly change his style.

As a novice to baseball, as I've mentioned once or twice on here, that stuff right there is fascinating for me.

Great post..... I think.