The end of Ozzie Guillen in Miami?

chetkincaid

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.fishstripes.com/2012/9/21/33677...ing-mike-lowell

Amid the word from yesterday afternoon that president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest may be on his way out, a little bit of news trickled out about manager Ozzie Guillen as well. MLB.com's Joe FrIsaro acknowledged the rumor that the Marlins were considering major personnel moves, potentially involving Beinfest, general manager Michael Hill, and Guillen. When the beat writer of the official Marlins website speculates on rumors, you know that there may be something to the situation.

But within the article regarding the Beinfest firing rumor, there was also some discussion about Guillen's job security, and in particular the fact that the Marlins are already discussing his future.

"Nothing has been decided on the future of manager Ozzie Guillen -- who is signed through 2015 -- and, according to a source, the pros and cons of a change at manager already are being discussed. The Marlins, in considering a potential managerial change, have talked about ex-Marlin Mike Lowell as an option."

Guillen is at most partly to blame and likely not much to blame for the failure of the 2012 Miami Marlins, and in my opinion, if there is anyone that can motivate this team to potentially perform better, it is the hot-headed, temperamental Guillen. In addition, with the Marlins potentially running a lower payroll than in 2012, the club has more things to worry about in terms of their use of money than adding another manager to the fold while still paying Guillen $2.5 million a year for the next three seasons.

Then again, Mike Lowell looked like the type of player who would make a good managerial candidate, and if the Marlins do go after someone without previous managerial experience, they are not likely to have to commit a whole lot more money to yet another manager. Lowell has been the most vocal among old Marlins of the 2003 era team, and he is usually the first guy to go to for a coherent interview, so he could be as good a new managerial candidate as there is out there. Other candidates listed in the article include former Marlins and current Washington Nationals third base coach Bo Porter and former Marlins catcher and current Toronto Blue Jays Single-A affiliate manager Mike Redmond.

I for one would welcome the return of Mike Lowell. But I do not think Guillen should fired and scapegoated for the pitfalls of this team. Yes, perhaps changes should be made, but if the Marlins end up sacking their manager and heads of front office, you get the feeling like the team was going for a "change for change's sake" approach rather than a thought-out approach.

Ha, if the Marlins were reaching out to Lowell during the season while Ozzie is still managing that would be a karmic b**** slap if I have ever seen one

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 21, 2012 -> 05:25 PM)
Im sure Cowley is busy writing his defense of Ozzie as this is going on.

"Beinfest didnt give Ozzie a team to compete. He didnt have a chance"

It's somewhat true. They DID give out a ton of bad money.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 21, 2012 -> 09:00 PM)
How so? They never had a chance in that division. It was poor FA signings from day one.

I didn't say they should have won the division, I said they should have been more competitive. That team laid down

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 02:13 AM)
I didn't say they should have won the division, I said they should have been more competitive. That team laid down

Sounds like a cliche to me. That crazy owner got what he deserves. A horrible team. Everything I've read about Loria is negative. Ozzie was a moron to take the money and run to that organization. He's better off fired and going into broadcasting for a year or two. He'll have a nice bit of money to live on since he has a ton of years left on his contract.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2012 -> 09:37 PM)
Sounds like a cliche to me. That crazy owner got what he deserves. A horrible team. Everything I've read about Loria is negative. Ozzie was a moron to take the money and run to that organization. He's better off fired and going into broadcasting for a year or two. He'll have a nice bit of money to live on since he has a ton of years left on his contract.

Sounds like a typical greg775 post that never puts the blame at Ozzies feet

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2012 -> 09:37 PM)

On paper you thought that team was awesome.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 06:39 AM)
On paper you thought that team was awesome.

That's cause I listened to people on this board. I didn't know enough about the Marlins, but I listened to everybody on here. I don't know how anybody could go work for Loria. Ozzie showed he really lacks in common sense in going to work for that guy. Perhaps Oz is dumb as a fox, though. Four year contract? Pretty big bucks? Not bad money if you get axed after one year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2012 -> 02:13 AM)
That's cause I listened to people on this board. I didn't know enough about the Marlins, but I listened to everybody on here. I don't know how anybody could go work for Loria. Ozzie showed he really lacks in common sense in going to work for that guy. Perhaps Oz is dumb as a fox, though. Four year contract? Pretty big bucks? Not bad money if you get axed after one year.

You have a cop out for everything don't you?