Chicago White Sox vs. Cleveland Indians

justBLAZE

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 04:02 AM)
Anyone else think it's crazy to change Tuesday's game to a day game so Youk can play? It's not like the guy is lighting it up right now. Let him sit for a game and play it at night, IMO

It wasn't just to accommodate Youk, although his USCF stats say if it was, the decision was wise.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 07:34 AM)
It's out of respect to all of our Jewish fans. Youk could have and has sat out before due to this holiday.

Did we ever do this before? I can never recall it. Also, interesting that we're the only team doing this in all of MLB. I think it's because of Youk personally...

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 06:35 AM)
WINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Hey doomers & gloomers.... we are STILL in FIRST haha.

Pls stop calling us doom and gloomers. The team has lost 5 games in a row and is completely in the tank entering the final few series. If the Sox won a game here and there we might not be so gloomy. To add to the gloom, do you think the Sox will have more than 18,000 fans for any of the games in this important series?

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 09:28 AM)
Did we ever do this before? I can never recall it. Also, interesting that we're the only team doing this in all of MLB. I think it's because of Youk personally...

No, it is bc of JR. Think that the White Sox have fans and employees celebrating this holiday. Lol.

Go White Sox. Beat the undies off the indies.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 11:36 AM)
Pls stop calling us doom and gloomers. The team has lost 5 games in a row and is completely in the tank entering the final few series. If the Sox won a game here and there we might not be so gloomy. To add to the gloom, do you think the Sox will have more than 18,000 fans for any of the games in this important series?

We faced a KC team that has our number and an Angels team that won 22 of their last 30....if they lose 2 of 3 or get swept at home against the indians then feel free to be gloomy. We're still in first so try and enjoy the ride. The bats can easily get hot here at home and ride it all the way into the playoffs. Cardinals snuck their way into the playoffs last year and we saw what happened there, no reason the Sox cant do the same.

I see win #18 on the horizon.

Absolutely. No sellouts for sure, but they'll draw more than 18,000.

So says the guy that loves to call the entire board "haters"

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 07:42 PM)
So says the guy that loves to call the entire board "haters"

What are you talking about? I'm pretty sure the only mention of the word "hate" on here by me is regarding posters hating me and hating Ozzie. Your hatred of me is plain to see but where else have I called people haters? Hatred of me and Ozzie? Yes.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 01:45 PM)
What are you talking about? I'm pretty sure the only mention of the word "hate" on here by me is regarding posters hating me and hating Ozzie. Your hatred of me is plain to see but where else have I called people haters? Hatred of me and Ozzie? Yes.

You call everyone haters when it comes to Ozzie, yes.

And you dont concern me enough for me to hate you. For me hate requires effort and energy towards someone who deserves it. You are far too amusing for that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 07:52 PM)
You call everyone haters when it comes to Ozzie, yes.

And you dont concern me enough for me to hate you. For me hate requires effort and energy towards someone who deserves it. You are far too amusing for that.

You post more stuff about me than any other poster. Define "energy." True it doesn't take much effort or energy to post sentences, but you definitely have more posts specifically about me than any other poster by far. Thanks for the compliment. I have thought about being a stand-up comic so "amusing" is a great compliment to me.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)
You post more stuff about me than any other poster. Define "energy." True it doesn't take much effort or energy to post sentences, but you definitely have more posts specifically about me than any other poster by far. Thanks for the compliment. I have thought about being a stand-up comic so "amusing" is a great compliment to me.

If I hated you, believe me you would know.

Please resume the doom and gloom

. . . To add to the gloom, do you think the Sox will have more than 18,000 fans for any of the games in this important series?

Greg ...

While I disagree with you on many BASEBALL issues (in particular you wanting to give Ozzie a life-time pass for 2005; me and so many others giving him part of the credit, which leads to some additional benefit of the doubt and a little more rope ... but, he lost that benefit of the doubt and ran out of rope with his increasingly aberrant behavior between 2007-2011), ultimately, I could care less about disagreements. We're all Sox fans; there is room for differences of opinion; and healthy debate is great.

However, I personally cringe when you and anyone else brings up this attendance issue! It's not baseball; it's not fandom; it's an economics and ownership issue. Do you own the team? I don't.

So many people, particularly Cubs fans, grasp on to the Sox attendance woes as if it measures anything particularly significant. The historical circumstances that led to Comiskey Park built had long since changed by 1990. Had all other things been equal, there was no way that Sox ownership would have rebuilt a park at that same location. However, all other things weren't equal. Sox ownership (which included dozens of the top real estate and business minds in the Chicago community) fought hard for the sweetheart deal of the century. They won the lottery with all sorts of public concessions, allowing them to easily make solid profits year after year while their equity investment in the team skyrocketed.

But ownership can't have it both ways. I've got plenty of South Sider family and friends, but the current location is far from ideal for many fans, for business ticket holders, and for tourists. The Cubs have such a huge advantage over the Sox in each of these three things. It's why comparing their attendance to the Sox attendance is so ridiculous. I wish I could somehow get a breakdown, but I'd bet the number of actual dedicated Sox fans buying tickets for games at the Cell is close to if not more than the number of actual dedicated Cubs fans buying tickets for games at the Urinal (err ... the Shrine). The difference is business ticket holders and tourists.

And that's not all -- the Sox could easily draw more, lots more, if they wanted. Others with greater knowledge have discussed it far more eloquently than I could, but the Sox ticket prices, dynamic pricing, parking prices, and so forth, follow their self-professed goals of maximizing revenue (without regard to the pure number of fannies in the seat) instead of maximizing attendance. Stripping all of that down to the basics -- ownership really doesn't care for regular 30,000+ turn-outs as long as they're maximizing profits at some lower attendance figure. If they don't care, why should I? Why should you?

Sure, the players might like more people in the stands, but if they have a problem, take it up with ownership, not with the fans. Ownership created this mess.

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 08:53 PM)
Greg ...

While I disagree with you on many BASEBALL issues (in particular you wanting to give Ozzie a life-time pass for 2005; me and so many others giving him part of the credit, which leads to some additional benefit of the doubt and a little more rope ... but, he lost that benefit of the doubt and ran out of rope with his increasingly aberrant behavior between 2007-2011), ultimately, I could care less about disagreements. We're all Sox fans; there is room for differences of opinion; and healthy debate is great.

However, I personally cringe when you and anyone else brings up this attendance issue! It's not baseball; it's not fandom; it's an economics and ownership issue. Do you own the team? I don't.

So many people, particularly Cubs fans, grasp on to the Sox attendance woes as if it measures anything particularly significant. The historical circumstances that led to Comiskey Park built had long since changed by 1990. Had all other things been equal, there was no way that Sox ownership would have rebuilt a park at that same location. However, all other things weren't equal. Sox ownership (which included dozens of the top real estate and business minds in the Chicago community) fought hard for the sweetheart deal of the century. They won the lottery with all sorts of public concessions, allowing them to easily make solid profits year after year while their equity investment in the team skyrocketed.

But ownership can't have it both ways. I've got plenty of South Sider family and friends, but the current location is far from ideal for many fans, for business ticket holders, and for tourists. The Cubs have such a huge advantage over the Sox in each of these three things. It's why comparing their attendance to the Sox attendance is so ridiculous. I wish I could somehow get a breakdown, but I'd bet the number of actual dedicated Sox fans buying tickets for games at the Cell is close to if not more than the number of actual dedicated Cubs fans buying tickets for games at the Urinal (err ... the Shrine). The difference is business ticket holders and tourists.

And that's not all -- the Sox could easily draw more, lots more, if they wanted. Others with greater knowledge have discussed it far more eloquently than I could, but the Sox ticket prices, dynamic pricing, parking prices, and so forth, follow their self-professed goals of maximizing revenue (without regard to the pure number of fannies in the seat) instead of maximizing attendance. Stripping all of that down to the basics -- ownership really doesn't care for regular 30,000+ turn-outs as long as they're maximizing profits at some lower attendance figure. If they don't care, why should I? Why should you?

Sure, the players might like more people in the stands, but if they have a problem, take it up with ownership, not with the fans. Ownership created this mess.

Good points, sir. I took a potshot at our fans which I regret.