Worst collapse in franchise history?

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really, because everyone (nationally) expected the Tigers to finally pass us.

However, when we had that huge make-up game win over DET to push the lead to 3...when Minnesota took 2/3 or when the Royals swept the Tigers at home, you really thought this was going to be their year to make it.

And we knew that our pitching staff was gassed, and our inconsistent bullpen/managerial decision-making process was mediocre, AT BEST.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 03:32 AM)
If it is, it is simply because we haven't had very many division leads. Losing a lead that was hardly larger than 3 games at any point in time isn't that epic of a collapse, especially given how close we were to .500 the entire time

Yep, exactly. 2006 seemed like a bigger collapse to me, as that team seemed significantly more talented and was the best Sox team I had ever seen during the first half of the season.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 10:33 PM)
Yep, exactly. 2006 seemed like a bigger collapse to me, as that team seemed significantly more talented and was the best Sox team I had ever seen during the first half of the season.

Several amazing individual offensive performances on that club. We still won 90 games, too. Loaded AL Central :D

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 10:45 PM)
I don't ever remember actually collapsing in 2006. At least not too late. We just couldn't keep up. 2003 is about the only thing comparable to me. Most loaded team in franchise history all goes to waste because of Jose Paniagua

They did lose their final 6 in a row to the Twins.

Loaiza wet the bed. That game that Paniagua relieved in, they actually WON.

Momentum's supposed to go only as far as the next game's starting pitcher, but you knew as soon as they lose those two against the Royals, went up against a desperate Angels team on the road and then had to face a desperate Rays team at home.

Well...those are just excuses, because in the end, our team either wasn't desperate enough to win or playing too desperately/tightly, however you want to characterize it.

We can't blame the Royals. The Sox players and coaches can only blame themselves.

And it's hard to blame the fans for not showing up when you're losing 8/9 games, including 3 crucial/critical/must win games in a row at home.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 10:33 PM)

The difference is the Tigers were in first place for most of the first half, despite our 26 games over .500 pre-ASB play.

Then the Twins (behind Liriano and Santana) went on that incredible roll.

I just remember vividly an August series against the Red Sox (we got swept and then Jenks was ouchy too) and you already had a feeling in your bones it was over as the offense cooled off and the arm-weariness on the pitching staff started to show itself.

Edited by caulfield12

Seems to me we started the year with a lot more question marks and holes than answers and expectations.

Being in the run til the last week of the season is pretty major. Even if we don't right the ship this year, its nice to see us be in the thick of things at the very end of the season. Not many people expected that from us. Collapse, shmollapse... I don't think many people thought this edition of the Sox had this kind of year in em.

I think it's the second most disappointing end of a season in White Sox history. If you check the history books, I believe the 67 or 69 White Sox had control and went to Kansas City and lost a doubleheader to one of the worst teams in baseball history. The Sox had Peters and Horlen pitching both ends and lost both games.

The Sox went on to lose the AL title to Boston or Detroit or somebody the history books tell us.

This season is the biggest choke job in Sox history. Nobody will notice or care, however, cause Mariotti is gone and Cowley isn't writing anymore. I listen to Les Grobstien every night and he keeps repeating that nobody thought the Sox would be any good and they didn't choke. I wish Mariotti was still here cause he would have feasted on this choke and perhaps his swarmy words would have angered our Sox so much well maybe they could have beaten KC a few games that would have made a world of difference. Maybe they would have rallied against the media "not believing in us." Instead everybody's been nice in the media watching this train wreck.

Keep patting the White Sox on the back pundits ... this was a major choke job. No question. Biggest choke job with the only one rivaling it the aforementioned one in the 60s.

Comments?

p.s. to those people who think i'm a troll, don't posts like this suggest i know my white sox history? Trolls don't know this team like Greg knows this team.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 04:17 AM)
I don't describe it as a choke because to me that means you were up 5-6 games etc and let it go. This is just...sucking. I don't know how to describe it. They are just failing to compete at this point.

We've lost 8 of 9 with the only win Dunn's two bomb performance. We are only 2 out after losing all those games. That's a huge choke. Huge IMO.

Nobody's biting on my comments on the media ... but I think a lot of people's perceptions of this choke job would change if we had an outlandish columnist in town really letting the Sox have it.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 11:22 PM)
We've lost 8 of 9 with the only win Dunn's two bomb performance. We are only 2 out after losing all those games. That's a huge choke. Huge IMO.

Nobody's biting on my comments on the media ... but I think a lot of people's perceptions of this choke job would change if we had an outlandish columnist in town really letting the Sox have it.

I don't think the media matters as much as you do, just my take. Let's face it, the Sox are irrelevant compared to the Cubs, and now you have the Bears going, etc. Plus the people on this board will remember it with or without media coverage, so it's a different crowd you're addressing on here.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 04:24 AM)
I don't think the media matters as much as you do, just my take. Let's face it, the Sox are irrelevant compared to the Cubs, and now you have the Bears going, etc. Plus the people on this board will remember it with or without media coverage, so it's a different crowd you're addressing on here.

Very true. But if Mariotti was out there calling us chokers every day, it would have been addressed in the clubhouse and maybe just maybe some life would have been instilled in our zombie-like ballclub. Robin would have had to address it at least. And our veterans. Truly they should be embarrassed. They won't say that, though, they'll say we're still in it until mathematically eliminated and have to take care of business, etc.

Even though it's technically not a collapse because of what happened in the end, I think the biggest collapse for the Sox franchise was in 2005 when they had the 15 game lead and the Indians closed in a matter of weeks to within 1.5 games.

Good thing they held on to win the division and then the whole banana!

But this season will be memorable for sure. This is about as bad as it gets down the stretch for a team in contention.

In fact, I'll bet they lose out or only win one of these remaining 6 games to finish 82-80 or 83-79. Ironically, that's close to the absolute best preseason predictions for this team.

How sad that after everything that has happened this season they're ultimately only going to finish around the .500 mark.

All too often this team only finishes between .480 and .520 - enough to not be bad, but not good enough to do anything meaningful. Besides 2005, the franchise just can't seem to put enough together in a given year.

They really need a full rebuild and to stop with Kenny's band-aids year after year, but it's not going to happen with so many untradeable guys under contract.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 04:15 AM)
I think it's the second most disappointing end of a season in White Sox history. If you check the history books, I believe the 67 or 69 White Sox had control and went to Kansas City and lost a doubleheader to one of the worst teams in baseball history. The Sox had Peters and Horlen pitching both ends and lost both games.

The Sox went on to lose the AL title to Boston or Detroit or somebody the history books tell us.

This season is the biggest choke job in Sox history. Nobody will notice or care, however, cause Mariotti is gone and Cowley isn't writing anymore. I listen to Les Grobstien every night and he keeps repeating that nobody thought the Sox would be any good and they didn't choke. I wish Mariotti was still here cause he would have feasted on this choke and perhaps his swarmy words would have angered our Sox so much well maybe they could have beaten KC a few games that would have made a world of difference. Maybe they would have rallied against the media "not believing in us." Instead everybody's been nice in the media watching this train wreck.

Keep patting the White Sox on the back pundits ... this was a major choke job. No question. Biggest choke job with the only one rivaling it the aforementioned one in the 60s.

Comments?

Good post. I've been wondering where the media outrage has been as well. Sox are going to get let off easy.

I'm tired of the posts saying that this was a great season because we exceeded expectations. We didn't, first off, if the other thread is any indication. Second, when you're three up with fourteen to play, the expectation is to win. That's a much greater and important expectation and it's looking like we blew it. I like the emergence of Sale and De Aza, and you hope some of the other young guys you can depend on, but it doesn't look like that will be a trade off with our veterans getting older/moving on