Worst collapse in franchise history?

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 10:53 AM)
A lot of your posts lately are of this nature, almost like you aren't included as a fan. I find it interesting.

I'm pretty sure the fans care. Just because the attendance isn't great, doesn't mean they don't care. That's not exactly the best measuring stick.

As has been covered, it's hard to get people to come out this week when you are watching the team suffer a slow, painful death.

Here's a good read, especially towards the end.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2012/9/28/3421...te-sox-tailspin

And as I keep saying, this isn't a just this week phenomenon. Attendance has been falling for six years now. Even in a season where we were in first place for about 3/4 of the season, our attendance numbers are down pretty significantly over last year. All of the hardcore Soxtalk fans are fighting to be the first off of the bandwagon and claim they aren't watching anymore. For my two cents, you can't not go to games as a fan base, but then in the same breath complain that no one is covering or broadcasting your games. Given the choice between the White Sox, or a team that is in the top 10 in attendance, who is going to be more attractive to put on their network? Which team is probably going to generate more hits in a column? Given the choice, of course the media is going to go with another story. The White Sox bandwagon is emptying, not just this week, but over the last seven years now.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of your posts lately are of this nature, almost like you aren't included as a fan. I find it interesting.

I'm actually with him on that one. Just because you root for a team doesn't mean you have to consider yourself part of a united group. Maybe that's not the point he's making, but I've always felt that way about myself. These are the teams I root for-- whoever's rooting around me, these people I don't know.... I can't say I have tons of allegiance to them.

I'm pretty sure the fans care. Just because the attendance isn't great, doesn't mean they don't care. That's not exactly the best measuring stick.

As has been covered, it's hard to get people to come out this week when you are watching the team suffer a slow, painful death.

Here's a good read, especially towards the end.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2012/9/28/3421...te-sox-tailspin

It also says something that no fans bought tickets in advance. After the Sox beat Detroit to go 3 up, you would think that fans would buy tickets ahead of time for the CLE/TAM series when the division may be on the line. But no one obviously did, so I think that tells you something. Their slump isn't much of an attendance excuse, it's not like a win or two was gonna add 10,000 walk-up ticket sales for a single game.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 11:05 AM)
And as I keep saying, this isn't a just this week phenomenon. Attendance has been falling for six years now. Even in a season where we were in first place for about 3/4 of the season, our attendance numbers are down pretty significantly over last year. All of the hardcore Soxtalk fans are fighting to be the first off of the bandwagon and claim they aren't watching anymore. For my two cents, you can't not go to games as a fan base, but then in the same breath complain that no one is covering or broadcasting your games. Given the choice between the White Sox, or a team that is in the top 10 in attendance, who is going to be more attractive to put on their network? Which team is probably going to generate more hits in a column? Given the choice, of course the media is going to go with another story. The White Sox bandwagon is emptying, not just this week, but over the last seven years now.

But attendance would be more likely to spike in the last week of a race. These aren't April, May, or June games.

I could care less what media coverage we get anyway.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 11:11 AM)
It also says something that no fans bought tickets in advance. After the Sox beat Detroit to go 3 up, you would think that fans would buy tickets ahead of time for the CLE/TAM series when the division may be on the line. But no one obviously did, so I think that tells you something. Their slump isn't much of an attendance excuse, it's not like a win or two was gonna add 10,000 walk-up ticket sales for a single game.

No reason to buy tickets ahead of time when they'll be readily available later anyway. That's just being logical. Then you have an out if they collapse and you aren't stuck with $200 worth of tickets for a Sunday game you no longer want to go to.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 11:16 AM)
But attendance would be more likely to spike in the last week of a race. These aren't April, May, or June games.

I could care less what media coverage we get anyway.

No reason to buy tickets ahead of time when they'll be readily available later anyway. That's just being logical. Then you have an out if they collapse and you aren't stuck with $200 worth of tickets for a Sunday game you no longer want to go to.

It all goes together. If fans aren't there, the press and media isn't going to be there either. The reasons don't really matter at the end of the day.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 11:05 AM)

The White Sox bandwagon is emptying because there is no faith in this organization to put a championship team on the field. The fans are completely justified in their skepticism about this organization's competence.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 11:16 AM)

I understand the logic of it. But if fans aren't willing to commit a few weeks ahead of time, then there lies some of your attendance issues.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 11:27 AM)
The White Sox bandwagon is emptying because there is no faith in this organization to put a championship team on the field. The fans are completely justified in their skepticism about this organization's competence.

I think you are giving the White Sox fanbase way too much credit. In order to fill the Cell, you need to be in the playoffs, period.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 01:13 PM)
crissakes...that's pathetically embarrassing.

yeah it's just become comical now, last night back to back innings with bases loaded and no outs, we get 2 runs, 1 off a hit batter and the other a double play...

2 things i've noticed this year:

1. we're striking out a lot.

2. when our pitcher get's 2 outs in an inning they can't seem to get the third out without giving up some hits and most of the time a run or two.

For the past 20 years we rarely have a mentally tough team...something needs to change

QUOTE (MEANS @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 11:19 AM)
yeah it's just become comical now, last night back to back innings with bases loaded and no outs, we get 2 runs, 1 off a hit batter and the other a double play...

2 things i've noticed this year:

1. we're striking out a lot.

2. when our pitcher get's 2 outs in an inning they can't seem to get the third out without giving up some hits and most of the time a run or two.

For the past 20 years we rarely have a mentally tough team...something needs to change

We sure have some whiffers which is kind of a sign of the times. It's not just us but christ (!) I hate the strikeouts. Your second point is one that I've noticed too. It seems to happen a LOT and I don't know if it just seems to us that way or if it really is a problem more unique to our team than to most. But it's annoying, especially when it's your closer.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 11:27 AM)

They were in first place for 120+ days of this season. This sentence makes no sense in the context of this season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 01:44 PM)
You can't fix injury and exhaustion.

Who is exhausted on the team and why? The Sox really are getting off lightly, not getting called on this choke job. I known the team is beat up, but even Paulie every 50 or so at bats still whacks a home run. Exhausted?

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 11:04 PM)
On the bright side, soon I'll be able to use the 7-10pm block to do homework

This.

Call me a bad fan or whatever, but if this team wasn't going to make it, I'd rather have them get out of it early (as in this week) than have me focused on them until October 3rd.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)
Who is exhausted on the team and why? The Sox really are getting off lightly, not getting called on this choke job. I known the team is beat up, but even Paulie every 50 or so at bats still whacks a home run. Exhausted?

Take a look at the pitching staff.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)
They were in first place for 120+ days of this season. This sentence makes no sense in the context of this season.

The White Sox will end up where they have so many times in the recent past, middle-of-the-pack. It is up to Sox management, not the fans, to break that cycle.

I heard a clip from Paulie saying everybody was trying but it just isn't there. I thought adding a veteran like Youk to go with our other vets would prevent this exact form of collapse from happening. Story of this season is blowing opportunity after opportunity to leave Detroit in the Sox's wake, then utter collapse, giving it to Detroit on a platter the last couple weeks. As you all know, this wasted opportunity figures to bite us in the ass next season when Detroit actually rebounds from its lousy season and plays well.

Seriously: We have some stud veteran players who this shouldn't be happening to: Peavy, Paulie, AJP, Youk, Dunn, even Hudson has experience in keeping a team loose ... WTF? This choke is out of the ordinary.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)
I heard a clip from Paulie saying everybody was trying but it just isn't there. I thought adding a veteran like Youk to go with our other vets would prevent this exact form of collapse from happening. Story of this season is blowing opportunity after opportunity to leave Detroit in the Sox's wake, then utter collapse, giving it to Detroit on a platter the last couple weeks. As you all know, this wasted opportunity figures to bite us in the ass next season when Detroit actually rebounds from its lousy season and plays well.

Seriously: We have some stud veteran players who this shouldn't be happening to: Peavy, Paulie, AJP, Youk, Dunn, even Hudson has experience in keeping a team loose ... WTF? This choke is out of the ordinary.

Konerko, Dunn, and Youkilis are hurt, as is De Aza. Peavy is 100 IP over any season he has thrown since 2012. Quintana and Sale are about 100 innings over anything they have thrown as professional pitchers. Most of the bullpen is experiencing pitching in September for the first time in their lives.

It isn't about being loose, or tight, or anything that grey.