Worst collapse in franchise history?

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 08:49 AM)
but choke!!! don't ruin the angry story!!!

People are upset (understandably), and for some people, that means they overreact and give in to the drama. WORST COLLAPSE EVAR!!!!!!! yeah OK, sure. A team predicted to lose 90+ games and who never led the division by more than 3 games, takes it all the way to the last series to fall by a couple/few games. Clearly a collapse of epic proportions.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 09:34 AM)
People are upset (understandably), and for some people, that means they overreact and give in to the drama. WORST COLLAPSE EVAR!!!!!!! yeah OK, sure. A team predicted to lose 90+ games and who never led the division by more than 3 games, takes it all the way to the last series to fall by a couple/few games. Clearly a collapse of epic proportions.

People now love to throw around 90+ losses were predicted. I want to know who predicted that?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)
People now love to throw around 90+ losses were predicted. I want to know who predicted that?

Very first link I clicked on after Googling 2012 MLB predictions:

link

I'm sure there are more...

EDIT: Apparently SI predicted 95 losses.

Edited by Iwritecode

Soxtalk was more win biased, but the national predictions held a lot of gloom and doom for the Sox. SI predicted 95 losses, and I remember an article in spring training saying the Sox were the worst team the writer had seen.

Soxtalk was more win biased, but the national predictions held a lot of gloom and doom for the Sox. SI predicted 95 losses, and I remember an article in spring training saying the Sox were the worst team the writer had seen.

I don't know if bias was the right word. Look at the graph on the prediction thread. We were pretty accurate as a group.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)
Terrific, Yahoo and SI. A couple of football operations.

Baseball America had us last.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/major...12/2613110.html

Baseball prospectus had us third behind Cleveland

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article....articleid=16245

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 10:14 AM)
Baseball America had us last.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/major...12/2613110.html

Baseball prospectus had us third behind Cleveland

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article....articleid=16245

ALL of ESPN.com's 50 writers picked Detroit to win the AL C

http://espn.go.com/mlb/preview12/story/_/p...baseball-season

I see some other posters already showed you, but yeah, that was a common prediction. Vegas line in the spring wasn't quite that bad, predicted something like 74 wins (vs 88 losses). Point is, the HUGE majority of publications and line-makers were predicting a losing season and a bottom-tier finish in the division.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 03:34 PM)
I see some other posters already showed you, but yeah, that was a common prediction. Vegas line in the spring wasn't quite that bad, predicted something like 74 wins (vs 88 losses). Point is, the HUGE majority of publications and line-makers were predicting a losing season and a bottom-tier finish in the division.

I'm surprised the Sox weren't more loose since everybody thought they were going to suck this season.

Give me a break, everybody. The Sox had a lot of veterans and it was obvious early on it was one of those years where the team was a contender. Just the bouncing back of Rios and Dunn erased all those negative predictions. It was obvious the team would be better cause of those two alone. Once they proved EARLY ON that they were not black holes those predictions didn't mean squat. Since we now have a very likeable manager and don't want to blame him, and we have a guru as pitching coach and don't want to blame him and we have a GM who remains godlike we don't want to blame him ... we accept it. Well all these guys need to examine what happened again this season and FIX IT in the future. Cause the Sox turned into dogcrap for whatever reason.

The team flat out choked at the plate the last few weeks proven again last night. WHen it didn't matter the team bashed Cleveland. If that game had been played a week ago, we lose to Cleveland as we did at home. The team has some huge mental problems. But as expected, everybody is giving them a nice participation trophy and pat on the back for a job well done despite injuries and all those excuses.

The last 2-3 weeks were an utter embarassment to Sox fans and very painful IMO.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 03:20 PM)
I'm surprised the Sox weren't more loose since everybody thought they were going to suck this season.

Give me a break, everybody. The Sox had a lot of veterans and it was obvious early on it was one of those years where the team was a contender. Just the bouncing back of Rios and Dunn erased all those negative predictions. It was obvious the team would be better cause of those two alone. Once they proved EARLY ON that they were not black holes those predictions didn't mean squat. Since we now have a very likeable manager and don't want to blame him, and we have a guru as pitching coach and don't want to blame him and we have a GM who remains godlike we don't want to blame him ... we accept it. Well all these guys need to examine what happened again this season and FIX IT in the future. Cause the Sox turned into dogcrap for whatever reason.

The team flat out choked at the plate the last few weeks proven again last night. WHen it didn't matter the team bashed Cleveland. If that game had been played a week ago, we lose to Cleveland as we did at home. The team has some huge mental problems. But as expected, everybody is giving them a nice participation trophy and pat on the back for a job well done despite injuries and all those excuses.

Injuries to key guys will do that

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 07:20 PM)

It's amazing to me how much more angry you are at a team that competed and ran out of gas in 2012 as opposed to a manager and team that flat out quit in 2011.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 04:02 PM)
Wasn't Miguel Cabrera banged up this year? He still managed to put up triple crown winning numbers and carry the team on his back.

He had a sore left ankle, which doesn't effect a RH hitter, at all. A wrist and an oblique problem directly effect a batters swing.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)
He had a sore left ankle, which doesn't effect a RH hitter, at all. A wrist and an oblique problem directly effect a batters swing.

Then shame on management for trotting out injured players who directly attributed to losses with their poor play.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)
If we go a long period of time without Dunn and Konerko then the "collapse" would just have started sooner rather than later

You always seem to have an excuse. What's the benefit of playing two injured players, coincidentally two of the highest paid players on your team. To injure them more? It's not like they were contributing much in the 2nd half.

Maybe they were trying to improve Paulie's shoulder shrug technique after a weak pop up to 2B?

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 04:04 PM)
It's amazing to me how much more angry you are at a team that competed and ran out of gas in 2012 as opposed to a manager and team that flat out quit in 2011.

THIS!

think about that sentence Greg....think real hard and long.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 2, 2012 -> 04:17 PM)
You always seem to have an excuse. What's the benefit of playing two injured players, coincidentally two of the highest paid players on your team. To injure them more? It's not like they were contributing much in the 2nd half.

Maybe they were trying to improve Paulie's shoulder shrug technique after a weak pop up to 2B?

They were well enough to go out there so they did, theyre both gamers.

PKs having surgery tomorrow so its clear he was dealing with something, so thats not an excuse.

I'm not all that worked up about this. They were way better than I thought. In fact, they were flat-out fun to watch for a couple of months there.

I wouldn't call this a historic "collapse" when you look at things like the '03 Cubs or the Mets a couple of years back. I mean, this has been going on all month. In fact, it reminded me of '08 were it was between us and Minnesota, to see who could NOT run away with it, which was only salvaged by the blackout game.

Going up 3 on the Tigers in that make-up game gave everybody hope, but the Royals/Anaheim series brought things back to Earth.

And need I remind everybody of the '05 September Swoon, which would HAVE been the worst collapse--in the history of the Sox at least--so IMO this was pretty mild.