Steve Stone NOT leaving

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hawk and Stoney are two totally different baseball personalities. I wonder how Ed Farmer and Stoney would work together. If Hawk and Wimpy can work together again that would be great, (too young to remember why Wimpy left) but really enjoy it when they work together.

Edited by IlliniSox

QUOTE (IlliniSox @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 12:01 AM)
Hawk and Stoney are two totally different baseball personalities. I wonder how Ed Farmer and Stoney would work together. If Hawk and Wimpy can work together again that would be great, (too young to remember why Wimpy left) but really enjoy it when they work together.

Ed Farmer and Stone did work together for a year.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 05:23 PM)
I love it how we have such a wonderful consensus on how is and isn't a good baseball announcer. I'm just making an observation so please do not take offense or think that I am singling you out. As for me, I don't believe I've ever had the pleasure of listening to Sutton call a game.

None taken, but listen to this:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=19748777

I would hate to listen to this.

Stone makes the broadcast tolerable. Having Wimpy back reminds me of two old men bantering about nonsense. They might as well discuss their sock drawer. Hawk is already heading into Santo territory with the groans, grunts and nonsense. I don't want a sidekick that enables him to be more of what he already is.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 03:17 AM)
Broadcast tonight was awful. There's clearly something going on in the booth.

It seemed out of place for Bernstein to ask Stone about coming back, so maybe it was based on hearing something that happened the night before Hawk missed a game.

I'm not a Stone fan, but I think he'd be more passable as an analyst if he was with a more conventional PBP guy. Hawk is doing the Hawk Show, and in his mind, you're lucky to have the opportunity to sit next to him for three hours every day.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 02:17 AM)
Broadcast tonight was awful. There's clearly something going on in the booth.

I think it's more related to what is going on in the field. These games are painful to watch even when they are winning. There's been a few times I thought Hawk would reject homerism and tell it like it is. In that SCORE interview, I've never heard Stone this cynical and critical concerning the Sox.

Hawk is very emotional with Sox baseball and it may be getting the best of him. Who knows with his criticism of umpires, his absences may be coming from JR. There's always a lot of speculation and the Sox have become the new Cubs with these kind of stories.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 02:04 PM)
It seemed out of place for Bernstein to ask Stone about coming back, so maybe it was based on hearing something that happened the night before Hawk missed a game.

I'm not a Stone fan, but I think he'd be more passable as an analyst if he was with a more conventional PBP guy. Hawk is doing the Hawk Show, and in his mind, you're lucky to have the opportunity to sit next to him for three hours every day.

That's a great point about the Hawk Show. It is entertaining most of the time, but Stone might feel like he's too good a baseball analyst to be a puppet. I still think the next team should be Hawk/Ozzie if Oz gets the boot.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 01:34 PM)
That's a great point about the Hawk Show. It is entertaining most of the time, but Stone might feel like he's too good a baseball analyst to be a puppet. I still think the next team should be Hawk/Ozzie if Oz gets the boot.

Oh god.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 06:08 PM)
Really? I Tought I heard hawk called him stonepony at the start of the season, maybe I'm wrong. Stone seems to be a lil grumpy at times...
IIRC Hawk stopped calling him Stone Pony this year. I also felt that up until recently they had been getting along better on the air. I don't know if they decided it was in their best interests or if someone above them told them. Obviously that is now gone and we are back to where we were if not worse. I have been a supporter of Hawk but his style has become way too cliched and his ego won't permit anyone besides a yes man to share the booth with him. He ran Wimpy off once in a cruel way, and I thought the Hawk/Wimpy team worked very well. They kept me engaged in tough years similar to Harry and Jimmy over 30 years ago. Steve Stone is too smart and too proud to be anyone's lackey. Maybe it is time to blow up the whole thing and start all over again.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 05:20 AM)
Don't feel he'd particularly enjoy that, either.

Best to return to a front office role and/or assisting Buddy Bell...or just going back to be with his family.

You think there's a chance he could quit? I'd be all for letting somebody else try to avoid the collapse next September.