Steve Stone NOT leaving

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st choice, Hawk and Paciorek back together.

No to DJ, I don't even particularly like him on radio. Farmer's more knowledgeable, but can't stop the name-dropping, Notre Dame crap. It's like Harrelson's golf stories that seemingly got nipped in the bud by Bob Grimm.

DJ and Farmer have really gotten old the last couple of years, having had to listen to more games than being able to watch them due to slow internet overseas.

And please get rid of Rongey while you're at it. And Brooks Boyer. They need someone with a fresh perspective and some imagination to totally start over from scratch on the marketing and promotions side.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 06:19 PM)
1st choice, Hawk and Paciorek back together.

DJ and Farmer have really gotten old the last couple of years, having had to listen to more games than being able to watch them due to slow internet overseas.

And please get rid of Rongey while you're at it. And Brooks Boyer. They need someone with a fresh perspective and some imagination to totally start over from scratch on the marketing and promotions side.

I'd like to try Stone and Paciorek on TV.

Farmer sucks on radio.

Agree on needing a new direction on marketing and promotions.

I didn't hear the clip yet. According to the Sox website he would still be under contract to them; but I'm sure Jerry would let him out if he felt it wasn't working or he had a better gig elsewhere.

Steve Stone, a nominee for the 2008 Ford Frick Award, begins his fourth season as a White Sox broadcaster and his third in the television booth with Ken "Hawk" Harrelson ... signed a six-year contract in October 2008

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 01:50 AM)
I don't know if there really is something going on or Hawk is just under the weather, but Hawk and Stone didn't speak to each other the first 2 innings

I was wondering if something happened Wednesday night between the two that caused Hawk to be out last night.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 07:52 PM)
I was wondering if something happened Wednesday night between the two that caused Hawk to be out last night.

I think Hawk may actually be sick. He was scheduled to be on a conf call with season ticket holders (one of those ask-the-player/coach/announcer type things) yesterday and it was cancelled just prior.

Of course, this season may also be what is stressing Hawk into getting sick.

With the cartoon character that is Hawk, it's tough to pair him with someone like Stone. Listening to the Paciorek games this year it's pretty obvious that another cartoon character*, or at least one who plays along with one- would work best with Hawk.

Stone was great with Farmer. That was as good as it's going to get- in ways better than Rooney with Farmer. I thought it was unfortunate that they felt the need to waste his contributions by pairing him with Hawk.

At the end of the day, it's too bad that it looks like Hawk and Stone can't stand each other. People are people, so things like this are liable to happen anywhere, but there's something about it that puts a damper on the mood when it's in your team's booth. I'm trying to come up with a comparison, and I keep coming back to ruining Santa for a kid. Not entirely accurate, but it's getting there. I'd like to see Stone stick around, he's great.

*I don't really say cartoon character as an insult (as slamming Haek seems to be the thing to do the moment the Sox conceded first place)- it's just probably the most accurate way to describe him. Caricature, maybe...