Steve Stone NOT leaving

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniSox @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 11:01 PM)
I wonder how Ed Farmer and Stoney would work together.

The year before Stone joined Hawk in the tv booth, he was with Farmer on the radio. They're two similar personalities, and it worked out great. In that one year, Stone was probably able to throw more out there about the game than in his entire time alongside Hawk.

1 -- Heard Farmer and DJ sign off for the season. Farmer called DJ his best friend in life, outside of his family. DJ agreed. Those two are going to stay together.

2. -- stone has to be weary of Hawk's insufferable ego. That's too bad because Stone has insights into the game. Hawk just has a string of about 20-to-25 phrases. And he's starting to yell STRETCH on balls that are 15 feet from the wall. Cataract surgery, anyone?

3 -- Wimpy is just as gimmicky as Hawk.

4 -- You could never give Ozzie a live mic -- and who understands 70 percent of what he says, anyway?

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Oct 3, 2012 -> 09:52 PM)
1 -- Heard Farmer and DJ sign off for the season. Farmer called DJ his best friend in life, outside of his family. DJ agreed. Those two are going to stay together.

2. -- stone has to be weary of Hawk's insufferable ego. That's too bad because Stone has insights into the game. Hawk just has a string of about 20-to-25 phrases. And he's starting to yell STRETCH on balls that are 15 feet from the wall. Cataract surgery, anyone?

3 -- Wimpy is just as gimmicky as Hawk.

4 -- You could never give Ozzie a live mic -- and who understands 70 percent of what he says, anyway?

They are going to run out of guys to fill the booth. I've already tuned Hawk out. I listen to the other team's broadcast on MLB. I feel if I listen to Hawk, my baseball IQ would suffer. I can't take that kind of hit.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 03:31 AM)
Tribune is saying he is expected to receive interest from multiple media outlets,but would need permission to bolt. He gone.

Man. This sounds like a deal where Stoney just couldn't stand going to baseball games working with Hawk. He was silent quite a bit. Hawk must be really rude to his color announcers. You can't be rude to Stoney. He's pretty accomplished. So was Wimpy, but Stoney has a reputation as a good announcer and current baseball mind.

Did Hawk even sign off on the season saying he enjoyed working with Stoney, etc? That's an insult if they didn't do the mutual lauding of each other crap.

Edited by greg775

I've been thinking more about this. I wonder if they had some sort of incident at some point? Some of you guys said one game they didn't speak the first two innings. You have to wonder if Hawk treated Stone lousy and Stone called him on it at some point.

Hawk's got to, but won't, go. We've already heard over and over what he knows about baseball. Never any new insight. Not even good at making play by play interesting or exciting. He's got his following, though, so he's an icon and Jerry's loyal. If Stone wants to go, and does, I'd miss him but not blame him. I couldn't work with Hawk.

As for replacing him... Who takes THAT job? Have to be somebody new.

Farmer & DJ? I live in Colorado & listen as many games as I watch and their weird relationship and tangential banter totally works for me.