Your 2013 Plan for the White Sox

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 9, 2012 -> 01:15 AM)
This is maybe the least realistic plan I've ever seen. McCann at 3/36? Rays are gonna take on salary to get rid of Zobrist? Rangers are going to move Andrus... for RAMIREZ?!

McCann at 3/36?

Yes, McCann at 3/$36M. Though he's worth more, he's broken down multiple times in recent seasons and for a catcher that's big trouble. His current deal has him at a team option for that same $12M.

He's seven years younger, is a better offensive player and would be a huge defensive upgrade over AJ.

Rays are gonna take on salary to get rid of Zobrist?

The Rays are not destitute any longer. They have new TV deal money coming to them. The Rays have no hitting. As nice a player as Zobrist is he's wasted in that lineup. He's a glorified role player. The Rays would be acquiring one of the top OFs in MLB last season that would upgrade their lineup in a dynamic way hitting in front of Longoria. They would also obtain a young, cost controlled reliever that picked up 29 saves as a rookie. Those guys are not easy to find. Both impact players for Ben Zobrist.

Rangers are going to move Andrus... for RAMIREZ?!

Profar projects to be a better SS for Texas and The Rangers are very much rumored to be moving Andrus this offseason. There are other reasons why an Andrus deal could make sense this off-season. First, there are the rules laid out by the new MLB collective bargaining agreement that make it likely the Rangers would get much more for Andrus in 2013 than 2014 -- teams who trade for a player in the final year of his contract are no longer entitled to collect draft compensation if he leaves via free agency.

Ramirez is a more impactful offensive player with comparable defensive skills.

Alexei averages a .276 / 17HR / 77RBI / .725 OPS slash over 162 for his career

Andrus averages a .275 / 4HR / 53RBI / .695 OPS slash over 162 for his career

Alexei + Gavin Floyd for a defense first SS that steals a decent amount of bases.

If this is all so unrealistic you haven't read this entire thread.

Edited by bucket-of-suck

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Oct 9, 2012 -> 02:29 AM)
McCann at 3/36?

Yes, McCann at 3/$36M. Though he's worth more, he's broken down multiple times in recent seasons and for a catcher that's big trouble. His current deal has him at a team option for that same $12M.

He's seven years younger, is a better offensive player and would be a huge defensive upgrade over AJ.

The Rays are not destitute any longer. They have new TV deal money coming to them. The Rays have no hitting. As nice a player as Zobrist is he's wasted in that lineup. He's a glorified role player. The Rays would be acquiring one of the top OFs in MLB last season that would upgrade their lineup in a dynamic way hitting in front of Longoria. They would also obtain a young, cost controlled reliever that picked up 29 saves as a rookie. Those guys are not easy to find. Both impact players for Ben Zobrist.

Profar projects to be a better SS for Texas and The Rangers are very much rumored to be moving Andrus this offseason. There are other reasons why an Andrus deal could make sense this off-season. First, there are the rules laid out by the new MLB collective bargaining agreement that make it likely the Rangers would get much more for Andrus in 2013 than 2014 -- teams who trade for a player in the final year of his contract are no longer entitled to collect draft compensation if he leaves via free agency.

Alexei + Gavin Floyd for a defense first SS that steals a decent amount of bases.

McCann also thinks he needs shoulder surgery.

McCann at 3/36?

McCann also thinks he needs shoulder surgery.

Alex Rios 2012 OPS: .850

Ben Zobrist 2012 OPS: .848

Alex Rios career OPS: .768

Ben Zobrist career OPS: .796

How exactly would that be a major upgrade to their lineup?

Edited by LittleHurt05

The whole reason Texas is trading Andrus this year is to start Profair next year. I don't think they're gonna wait or look for a stop gap like Lexi.

Rios for Andrus would be interesting and more realistic. Sox lose some power but they add a bat to the top of the order that can make things happen.

Of course though, who knows if Andrus can/wants to play 2B, or if they would have to trade off Lexi (which a lot of people here would like). A De Aza/Andrus 1-2 top of the order punch would be pretty exciting.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

I want a new, I have nothing better to do, plan

Rios and Q+ for Andrus and Galllo (I'd throw in another decent prospect/bullpen arm)

Lexi for Gerado Parra and prospects

Sign Napoli, Chavez, and Haren

trade Thornton for whatever (bench help)

Re sign Floyd

Starting lineup

Andrus SS R

De Aza CF L

PK 1B R

Dunn DH L

Napoli C R

Chavez 3B L

Tank RF R

Parra LF L

Beckham 2B R

Rotation

Sale

Haren

Danks

Floyd

Santiago

Clearing Peavy, Rios, Youk, and Thornton should clear up enough money for Napoli and Haren

McCann at 3/36?

Elvis Andrus (2011): 4.4 WAR, 94 wRC+

Elvis Andrus (2012): 4.2 WAR, 95 wRC+

Alexei Ramirez (2011): 4.8 WAR, 94 wRC+

Alexei Ramirez (2012): 1.8 WAR, 77 wRC+

The only way you can paint them as similar players is by ignoring their ages and trends -- all of those offensive numbers you cited are bolstered by Alexei's 2008 rookie season. Andrus is 7 years younger and has upside, Alexei is clearly declining. Profar is considereda very good defensive SS. If they move Andrus, it's to make room for Profar, not to get an older, worse player back whose long-term, market-rate contract blocks Profar longer than Andrus does.

How is Zobrist a glorified role player? He's averaged 6 WAR per season over the last two. Rios just had a career resurgence and was only worth 4.3 WAR. The Rays don't even want to pay for James Shields' $9m option next year, why would they want three years of Rios at $12.5m? Why wouldn't they rather have Zobrist and his $5.5m and $7m dollar options, when he's a better defensive right fielder than Rios and can also fill in at 2B/SS?

Rios (2012): .364 wOBA, 127 wRC+

Zobrist (2012): .362 wOBA, 135 wRC+

McCann's price may be driven down by his shoulder, but if the outcome of his shoulder is such that the Braves aren't even willing to give him 3/36, then we probably don't want him either.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 9, 2012 -> 03:56 PM)
Elvis Andrus (2011): 4.4 WAR, 94 wRC+

Elvis Andrus (2012): 4.2 WAR, 95 wRC+

Alexei Ramirez (2011): 4.8 WAR, 94 wRC+

Alexei Ramirez (2012): 1.8 WAR, 77 wRC+

The only way you can paint them as similar players is by ignoring their ages and trends -- all of those offensive numbers you cited are bolstered by Alexei's 2008 rookie season. Andrus is 7 years younger and has upside, Alexei is clearly declining. Profar is considereda very good defensive SS. If they move Andrus, it's to make room for Profar, not to get an older, worse player back whose long-term, market-rate contract blocks Profar longer than Andrus does.

How is Zobrist a glorified role player? He's averaged 6 WAR per season over the last two. Rios just had a career resurgence and was only worth 4.3 WAR. The Rays don't even want to pay for James Shields' $9m option next year, why would they want three years of Rios at $12.5m? Why wouldn't they rather have Zobrist and his $5.5m and $7m dollar options, when he's a better defensive right fielder than Rios and can also fill in at 2B/SS?

Rios (2012): .364 wOBA, 127 wRC+

Zobrist (2012): .362 wOBA, 135 wRC+

McCann's price may be driven down by his shoulder, but if the outcome of his shoulder is such that the Braves aren't even willing to give him 3/36, then we probably don't want him either.

The Rays dont need to pay for Shields as they are starting pitching heavy. They have no OF strength at all. My deal includes adding OF quality + a young stud relief pitcher that replaces season-from-God Rodney.

Sending AR as a stop-gap for Profar + cash + Floyd for Andrus (whom the world knows is going to be traded) I think makes sense. The Rangers need starting pitching depth desperately.

If the Braves don't want to pay McCann because of uncertainty, I think the Sox can afford to as they have a solid regular in Flowers to hold it down.

I don’t think we need a total rebuild, but we need more depth in the minors and better balance in the lineup. I’m doing this all under the assumption that the Whitesox will not spend more 100 million in budget next year. The key to my strategy is not give up any young talent in trades and to try to patch the holes on the cheap via free agency.

We Keep the following already under contract

Rios 12.5m

Kong 13.5 million

Missile 7m

Danks 14.5

Crain I trade for a prospect and 4.5 million of salary relief

Thornton I trade for a prospect and I throw in 1.5 million for the other team to take 4 million off the books

Dunn I trade for spects again I throw in 6 million for the other team, So I can at least get a decent prospect out of the deal, So I’ve cleared another 9 million.

CONTRACT OPTIONS AND BUY-OUTS

I pick up floyds 9.5 million

Peavey I buy out for 4 m I can’t afford 22m or his contract demands

Youk goes as well, to expensive with his age health and salary demands

Myers goes as well

FREE AGENTS

I sign Dewise at 1m he’s the perfect 4th outfielder on this team

I dump the rest of the free agents none of them are worth the dough

ARB ELIGIBLE

Phil Humber – I release him he’s useless on this team with Axlerod on the roster, who can perform the same job cheaper

Gordon Beckham – offer arb

Alejandro De Aza – offer arb

PRE-ARB:

Chris Sale

Brent Morel

Tyler Flowers

Nate Jones

Addison Reed

Hector Santiago

Dylan Axlerod

Jordan Danks

Hector Gimenez

Jhan Marinez

Brian Omogrosso

Jose Quintana

Leyson Septimo

Donnie Veal

AT this point I got 73 million on the books with the 2 arb raises and such

I traded Dunn so I need a new DH I move Viciedo to DH Leaving Left field open

I then sign Angel Pagan to 8 million contract for 3 years I play him in left and lead off adding defense and more OBP to the lineup

That takes me to 81 million

I then sign BJ Upton for 12 million at 4 years and put him at 3rd he has played there in 2006 and ranks better there then at second in fielding metrics

That takes me to 93 million

I then strength up the rotation on the cheap

I sign Carlos Villanueva for a 2 year deal at 4 million a year for the back end of the rotation

97 million

I sign Jonathan Sanchez for a million bucks off the scrap heap, for Coop to try to fix

Leaves me with 98 I then sign a veteran catcher, for a million bucks to caddy with Flowers

Leaving me at 99 million

Lineup

1 LF Pagan

2 3b Upton

3 RF Rios

4 1b Kong

5 dh Viciedo

6 ss missile

7 c flowers/veteran

8 2b beckham

9 cf De Aza

Rotation

1 Sale

2 Quintana

3 Floyd

4 Villanueva

5 Sanchez/Santiago

I am under the assumption Danks starts year on DL and is not fully recovered, till mid year

5th spot is a battle between Jonathan Sanchez and Santiago in spring training, loser goes to the bullpen.

Bullpen

Closer A Reed

N Jones

D Veal

B Omogrosso

J Marinez

Simon Castro

5th spot loser

Long man

Axelrod

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Oct 9, 2012 -> 06:20 PM)
The Rays dont need to pay for Shields as they are starting pitching heavy. They have no OF strength at all. My deal includes adding OF quality + a young stud relief pitcher that replaces season-from-God Rodney.

Sending AR as a stop-gap for Profar + cash + Floyd for Andrus (whom the world knows is going to be traded) I think makes sense. The Rangers need starting pitching depth desperately.

If the Braves don't want to pay McCann because of uncertainty, I think the Sox can afford to as they have a solid regular in Flowers to hold it down.

But that's the thing -- Zobrist is better and substantially cheaper than Rios and can play the same position, but also middle infield where they need even more help. The cost savings could be used to sign a reliever of their choice.

Rumors are the Rangers are going to try to send Andrus in a deal for Upton, who they need to replace Hamilton. They are aiming way higher with Andrus, and justifiably so. If they move him at all, it means they've deemed Profar ready and don't want a stopgap anyhow, because it would force Kinsler out of position.

I don't understand the almost unanimous desire to trade Rios. He was arguably our best offensive player. Many of us felt that his problem was that awful stance he employed last year. Once the coaching staff got him to alter his mechanics, he became the offensive player that K. W. expected him to be. He was very consistent, and never had a single slump. Moreover, much like his 2010 season, he hit into a lot of hard outs. He is still relatively young, and has a lot of tools. He even seemed to become a pretty good club house guy.

I think that he should have been hitting third, which would have likely made him even better, with Dunn, Konerko and A. J. hitting behind him. I'm not saying that the Sox shouldn't consider moving him for the right package, but why are so many seemingly eager to get rid of him?

Edited by Lillian

I don't understand the almost unanimous desire to trade Rios. He was arguably our best offensive player. Many of us felt that his problem was that awful stance he employed last year. Once the coaching staff got him to alter his mechanics, he became the offensive player that K. W. expected him to be. He was very consistent, and never had a single slump. Moreover, much like his 2010 season, he hit into a lot of hard outs. He is still relatively young, and has a lot of tools. He even seemed to become a pretty good club house guy. I'm not saying that the Sox shouldn't consider moving him for the right package, but why are so many seemingly eager to get rid of him?

I wouldn't say that I'm eager to trade Rios, but this team needs some high-OBP guys, and Rios is one of the better trade chips to acquire such a guy. Also, moving Rios' salary may make it easier to re-sign Peavy.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 07:22 AM)
I don't understand the almost unanimous desire to trade Rios. He was arguably our best offensive player. Many of us felt that his problem was that awful stance he employed last year. Once the coaching staff got him to alter his mechanics, he became the offensive player that K. W. expected him to be. He was very consistent, and never had a single slump. Moreover, much like his 2010 season, he hit into a lot of hard outs. He is still relatively young, and has a lot of tools. He even seemed to become a pretty good club house guy.

I think that he should have been hitting third, which would have likely made him even better, with Dunn, Konerko and A. J. hitting behind him. I'm not saying that the Sox shouldn't consider moving him for the right package, but why are so many seemingly eager to get rid of him?

Rios makes me nervous as hell. Yeah he had a great year this year, but can you promise he doesn't go 2011 next year? He just seems to operate in a very narrow comfort zone, and if something knocks him out of it... look out.

QUOTE (Big Mak @ Oct 9, 2012 -> 07:30 PM)
I don’t think we need a total rebuild, but we need more depth in the minors and better balance in the lineup. I’m doing this all under the assumption that the Whitesox will not spend more 100 million in budget next year. The key to my strategy is not give up any young talent in trades and to try to patch the holes on the cheap via free agency.

Rios 12.5m

Kong 13.5 million

Missile 7m

Danks 14.5

Thornton I trade for a prospect and I throw in 1.5 million for the other team to take 4 million off the books

Dunn I trade for spects again I throw in 6 million for the other team, So I can at least get a decent prospect out of the deal, So I’ve cleared another 9 million.

Myers goes as well

FREE AGENTS

ARB ELIGIBLE

Phil Humber – I release him he’s useless on this team with Axlerod on the roster, who can perform the same job cheaper

PRE-ARB:

Chris Sale

Brent Morel

Tyler Flowers

Nate Jones

Addison Reed

Hector Santiago

Dylan Axlerod

Jordan Danks

Hector Gimenez

Jhan Marinez

Brian Omogrosso

Jose Quintana

Leyson Septimo

Donnie Veal

I then sign Angel Pagan to 8 million contract for 3 years I play him in left and lead off adding defense and more OBP to the lineup

I then sign BJ Upton for 12 million at 4 years and put him at 3rd he has played there in 2006 and ranks better there then at second in fielding metrics

I sign Carlos Villanueva for a 2 year deal at 4 million a year for the back end of the rotation

97 million

I sign Jonathan Sanchez for a million bucks off the scrap heap, for Coop to try to fix

Leaves me with 98 I then sign a veteran catcher, for a million bucks to caddy with Flowers

Leaving me at 99 million

Lineup

1 LF Pagan

2 3b Upton

3 RF Rios

4 1b Kong

5 dh Viciedo

6 ss missile

7 c flowers/veteran

8 2b beckham

9 cf De Aza

Rotation

1 Sale

2 Quintana

3 Floyd

4 Villanueva

5 Sanchez/Santiago

I am under the assumption Danks starts year on DL and is not fully recovered, till mid year

5th spot is a battle between Jonathan Sanchez and Santiago in spring training, loser goes to the bullpen.

Bullpen

Closer A Reed

N Jones

D Veal

B Omogrosso

J Marinez

Simon Castro

5th spot loser

Long man

Axelrod

Welcome to Soxtalk!

QUOTE (Big Mak @ Oct 9, 2012 -> 07:30 PM)

Rios 12.5m

Kong 13.5 million

Missile 7m

Danks 14.5

Myers goes as well

FREE AGENTS

ARB ELIGIBLE

PRE-ARB:

Chris Sale

Brent Morel

Tyler Flowers

Nate Jones

Addison Reed

Hector Santiago

Dylan Axlerod

Jordan Danks

Hector Gimenez

Jhan Marinez

Brian Omogrosso

Jose Quintana

Leyson Septimo

Donnie Veal

97 million

Leaving me at 99 million

Lineup

1 LF Pagan

2 3b Upton

3 RF Rios

4 1b Kong

5 dh Viciedo

6 ss missile

7 c flowers/veteran

8 2b beckham

9 cf De Aza

Rotation

1 Sale

2 Quintana

3 Floyd

4 Villanueva

5 Sanchez/Santiago

Bullpen

Closer A Reed

N Jones

D Veal

B Omogrosso

J Marinez

Simon Castro

5th spot loser

Long man

Axelrod

Welcome aboard - that is quite a first post!

Did you count the cash you are sending out with Dunn and Thornton in your salary numbers for this year?

As fun an experiment as it would be to have 4 lefties in a rotation*, if you had to chose between Quintana and Santiago who would you choose?

To me Hector is the clear choice. He has better stuff and seems to have a great approach mentally where he doesn't let small stuff get to him and could pitch over mistakes (coughFLOYDcough) the classic "bulldog" mentality.

* I do however think Danks won't be ready to go by April... Just a hunch. If he is he certainly won't be 100% and throwing like he's shown he can at times in the past.

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 01:05 PM)
As fun an experiment as it would be to have 4 lefties in a rotation*, if you had to chose between Quintana and Santiago who would you choose?

To me Hector is the clear choice. He has better stuff and seems to have a great approach mentally where he doesn't let small stuff get to him and could pitch over mistakes (coughFLOYDcough) the classic "bulldog" mentality.

* I do however think Danks won't be ready to go by April... Just a hunch. If he is he certainly won't be 100% and throwing like he's shown he can at times in the past.

I don't think you can give Santiago the clear edge in mental intangibles. Quintana was cold nails during his run. In fact, he was getting a reputation for pitching out of jams.

Furthermore, I like his ability to change speeds with 3+ pitches.

In all fairness, Santiago sure made it look like he had nothing left to prove when he was stretched out in Charlotte.

This is a really tough debate, picking between the two, and I have yet to confidently form a legitimate opinion. If I had to pick today I'd go with Q. He cut through the dodgers in like 70 pitches which was the stat of the year for me!

Edited by Jerksticks

You know what amuses me? IMO Rios and Dunn are untradeable, but as soon as Rios and Dunn become free agents, somebody will sign them to a similarly ridiculous free agent contract and probably shortly after that team will try to get rid of them. Ditto Peavy. He'll sign some ridiculous deal again and shortly after he'll be on the market. Baseball economics intrigues me.

I figure in a year or two we'll be hearing how Pujols is available and the Angels are desperately trying to dump his contract.

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 01:05 PM)

I've heard this a few times now, wasn't Danks projected to come back in September at one point?? My memories foggy did something happen during his rehab?

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 10, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
I've heard this a few times now, wasn't Danks projected to come back in September at one point?? My memories foggy did something happen during his rehab?

Not after his surgery. There was hope he could return in September pre-surgery, but after he didn't heal right, he had surgery and that idea was dead.