"Nobody Cares About the Sox"

SouthSidePride05

QUOTE (Real @ Oct 3, 2012 -> 03:48 PM)
apparently you're either missing my point, or can't read. I was singling out in-town fans who have the best opportunity to easily get to games. People who live 300+ miles away have to spend a substantial amount more on gas or train tickets

herp derp derp

I got your point. You set it up so you get to point fingers at everyone else while absolving yourself of any responsibility, except said finger-pointing.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Real @ Oct 3, 2012 -> 04:47 PM)
If you're seriously trying to make a case that baseball is relevant in Florida, lol.

You Chicagoans are a treat. Normally you're thumping your chest proclaiming you're #1 in this and that. Being #1 in worst fan bases is an accomplishment when it's of a team that's been around for over 100 years!

Chicago fans aren't the worst large market team in baseball, and you just finished proving that. Way to shoot yourself in the foot.

I honestly think Cubs fans in the metro-Chicago area outnumber Sox fans 4 to 1.

I think the Sox need to seriously lower prices and market themselves as the cheaper alternative.

I'd guess the Sox had about 9-10,000 season ticket holders this season. I base this number on the Tuesday afternoon game at the end of the season that drew 13,000 fans - that's tickets sold, not actual butts in the seats. So, when the Sox draw 30,000 for a big game, the media take is that the fans don't care and aren't loyal, but I'd say a walk-up of 20,000 to any game is pretty impressive.

Attendance is pretty poor throughout the league. All you have to do is watch MLB or ESPN highlights and look at all the empty seats throughout baseball. Then compare them with the reported attendance. Where the Sox really lag behind other big market teams is season ticket sales.

I really get tired of the attendance argument/discussion, but it's a valid one to have. Unfortunately, it usually devolves into Cubs fans are just there for the ballpark, or to get drunk, or .... Whatever the reason, they have a large, loyal fanbase. It's supply and demand. Their demand allows them to raise prices. The Sox lack of demand should result in lower prices, and considerably lower at that. However, we go into the season with basically the same prices as the Cubs and expect to compete with them for fans.

I went to one game this year when I was in town. Wednesday afternoon game. For myself, wife and three kids, it was around $200 for five bleacher tickets. Another $20 for parking. Another $50 or so for food and drinks. $270 for a baseball game is a bit much. The neighborhood doesn't keep me away. Neither does the lack of bars/restaurants in the area. Neither does a bad experience with a player not signing my hat or Jerry Reinsdorf or Kenny Williams being arrogant. None of that stuff matters. The cost of a baseball game keeps the fans at home watching on tv. It's happening all over baseball and sports in general, fans are staying away because, for the price, it makes more sense to watch from the comfort of home. A few places are somewhat immune, but even the Cubs had more empty seats than I can remember seeing in 15-20 years (despite what they announce for attendance).

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 07:47 AM)
No, the Angels. Yet they are a thriving franchise. Point being the attendance issue is blown way out of proportion.

They also drew over three million people to the ballpark... For the 10th straight year. The White Sox have NEVER drawn 3 million in a season.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 12:27 AM)
I'd guess the Sox had about 9-10,000 season ticket holders this season. I base this number on the Tuesday afternoon game at the end of the season that drew 13,000 fans - that's tickets sold, not actual butts in the seats. So, when the Sox draw 30,000 for a big game, the media take is that the fans don't care and aren't loyal, but I'd say a walk-up of 20,000 to any game is pretty impressive.

The Sox lack of demand should result in lower prices, and considerably lower at that. However, we go into the season with basically the same prices as the Cubs and expect to compete with them for fans.

I agree with all of this and have been saying the same thing myself.

It's not fair to compare it to the Cubs attendance because they have such a large season ticket base that they built up over the years. Now as people are falling off more are lining up to buy their tickets because they have been on the waiting list for so long.

What's interesting is that many people lost money on that investment and the Cubs attendance has been slowing declining the past 4 years. We'll see how many people contine to believe in Theo's plan the next 3 or 4 years.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)
I agree with all of this and have been saying the same thing myself.

It's not fair to compare it to the Cubs attendance because they have such a large season ticket base that they built up over the years. Now as people are falling off more are lining up to buy their tickets because they have been on the waiting list for so long.

What's interesting is that many people lost money on that investment and the Cubs attendance has been slowing declining the past 4 years. We'll see how many people contine to believe in Theo's plan the next 3 or 4 years.

Cubs attendance will take a big hit next year unless they start winning. All those ticket brokers who lost their asses this year, will not be renewing.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 07:47 AM)
No, the Angels. Yet they are a thriving franchise. Point being the attendance issue is blown way out of proportion.

They also have a single majority owner who is a billionaire. That is a great advantage as opposed to the ownership group which the Sox have.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 10:47 AM)
They also have a single majority owner who is a billionaire. That is a great advantage as opposed to the ownership group which the Sox have.

Maybe that is this franchise's "problem" then. Chris Sale is the only reason to want to watch the White Sox. Mediocrity doesn't cut it

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
Cubs attendance will take a big hit next year unless they start winning. All those ticket brokers who lost their asses this year, will not be renewing.

Too much expendable income in the area to drop below 2.75M imo.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 11:37 AM)
It already fell to 2.88 this year. I think 2.5 is more realistic this year.

Considering how many of those 2.88 million "people" were dressed as empty seats, 2.5 million is definitely possible. I guess it depends how long some ticket brokers are willing to lose money til when/if Theo turns it around.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 11:47 AM)
Considering how many of those 2.88 million "people" were dressed as empty seats, 2.5 million is definitely possible. I guess it depends how long some ticket brokers are willing to lose money til when/if Theo turns it around.

That is just it. The brokers lost their asses this year. They aren't going to be renewing with more losses and $1 tickets on the horizon.

I don't understand why we keep using attendance as the measuring stick. It's clear the Sox are perfectly happy charging a higher price for lower attendance but higher revenue. (Sure, the Sox will whine and try to convince more people to come to the park, but that doesn't change the fact that they are purposefully charging a premium price for what they consider to be a premium product).

People are watching and paying attention to the Sox (for example, see this article by Telander in late August).

I know it's frustrating to see a half-filled ballpark, but we, as fans, should care much more about revenue. Revenue is what determines payroll, not the raw number of fans in the stands.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 3, 2012 -> 05:10 PM)
I don't know where you live, but no way in hell.
I agree. Cub fans greatly outnumber Sox fans in the Chicago area. It's much worse than when I was a kid. Not only that, but when you talk baseball with someone from out of state, they almost always assume you're a Cub fan when you tell them you're from Chicago. Edited by SI1020

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
the brokers write unsold(or way undersold) tix off as losses. i suspect the number of amateur scalpers will drop.

I had been on the waiting list(for s***s and giggles), and last november i was #8000-ish. in less than a month, i was in the 5000's and allowed to buy bleacher tickets. i passed that up, and they took my name off the list.

of course, the cubs list allow you to register multiple times, so i suspect thier list is padded with lots of people that are no longer interested. i'm suprised they never went to a paid waiting list model like the bears or the hawks. especially since johnny mccub mcdonough is the one that set up the paid list at the hawks.

I honestly think Cubs fans in the metro-Chicago area outnumber Sox fans 4 to 1.

I think the Sox need to seriously lower prices and market themselves as the cheaper alternative.

Attendance is pretty poor throughout the league. All you have to do is watch MLB or ESPN highlights and look at all the empty seats throughout baseball. Then compare them with the reported attendance. Where the Sox really lag behind other big market teams is season ticket sales.

I really get tired of the attendance argument/discussion, but it's a valid one to have. Unfortunately, it usually devolves into Cubs fans are just there for the ballpark, or to get drunk, or .... Whatever the reason, they have a large, loyal fanbase. It's supply and demand. Their demand allows them to raise prices. The Sox lack of demand should result in lower prices, and considerably lower at that. However, we go into the season with basically the same prices as the Cubs and expect to compete with them for fans.

I went to one game this year when I was in town. Wednesday afternoon game. For myself, wife and three kids, it was around $200 for five bleacher tickets. Another $20 for parking. Another $50 or so for food and drinks. $270 for a baseball game is a bit much. The neighborhood doesn't keep me away. Neither does the lack of bars/restaurants in the area. Neither does a bad experience with a player not signing my hat or Jerry Reinsdorf or Kenny Williams being arrogant. None of that stuff matters. The cost of a baseball game keeps the fans at home watching on tv. It's happening all over baseball and sports in general, fans are staying away because, for the price, it makes more sense to watch from the comfort of home. A few places are somewhat immune, but even the Cubs had more empty seats than I can remember seeing in 15-20 years (despite what they announce for attendance).

because of youkilis, the sox allowed fans to get refunds for the 9/25 game. I suspect a lot did just that.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 12:50 PM)
I don't understand why we keep using attendance as the measuring stick. It's clear the Sox are perfectly happy charging a higher price for lower attendance but higher revenue. (Sure, the Sox will whine and try to convince more people to come to the park, but that doesn't change the fact that they are purposefully charging a premium price for what they consider to be a premium product).

People are watching and paying attention to the Sox (for example, see this article by Telander in late August).

I know it's frustrating to see a half-filled ballpark, but we, as fans, should care much more about revenue. Revenue is what determines payroll, not the raw number of fans in the stands.

tell that to kenny and jerry

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 06:10 PM)
tell that to kenny and jerry

I don't expect them to ever admit that they don't care. What business ever says to potential customers "we don't need your business?" They just try to get you to buy at whatever price they are offering.

2 things:

When I was younger, Waldo the White Sox wolf was the best mascot because it felt like being a lone wolf as a Sox fan. Especially in 2003.

I live 403 miles from the stadium. Went to 6-7 games this year. Mainly because my parents live near Chicago and I was at home for the summer. But during baseball season, whenever I'm home we go to a game. So it'll most likely be 6-7 again this summer despite me living in Missouri.

Hell, am I counting games I might go to in KC?

And Miami fans in general suck. The Heat couldn't sell out their stadium.