The Debates!

greg775

How the hell did Romney do it? How did he win the first debate? Even the liberal media people admitted Romney did well. A couple of them like Chris Matthews still supported Obama (how can this guy have a job, fair and balanced??) while admitting he failed big time in the debate. Matthews said something like "Obama should have mentioned this, this this about Romney and how ridiculous that is, blah blah." It's hilarious how Matthews in his post-debate coverage kept trying to blast Romney, while admitting Romney kicked Obama's butt. Matthews was furious at his idol, Obama.

So how did Obama fail so badly? He's normally very charming, etc. He looked tired and frankly kind of burned out.

So WTF?

I personally think he's tired of defending himself which is stupid considering the media is in love with him and his rare press conferences are all lovefests.

So WHAT HAPPENED?

And does Romney now win?

Edited by greg775

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 06:26 AM)
maybe hes tired of telling Iran to stop building nukes and telling Israel to not pre-emptively strike Iran and dealing with the United Nations and he wants to just go back to chillaxing and filling out march madness brackets.

I'm wondering if this gets close, what the media is going to do to make sure Obama wins. Are they gonna step up attacks on Romney's religion or ? The media hasn't had to attack too much yet, but after this debate beatdown do u all expect the media to go after Romney hard?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 01:17 AM)
How the hell did Romney do it? How did he win the first debate? Even the liberal media people admitted Romney did well. A couple of them like Chris Matthews still supported Obama (how can this guy have a job, fair and balanced??) while admitting he failed big time in the debate. Matthews said something like "Obama should have mentioned this, this this about Romney and how ridiculous that is, blah blah." It's hilarious how Matthews in his post-debate coverage kept trying to blast Romney, while admitting Romney kicked Obama's butt. Matthews was furious at his idol, Obama.

So how did Obama fail so badly? He's normally very charming, etc. He looked tired and frankly kind of burned out.

So WTF?

I personally think he's tired of defending himself which is stupid considering the media is in love with him and his rare press conferences are all lovefests.

So WHAT HAPPENED?

And does Romney now win?

Obama looked defensive, frustrated, unsure. Romney was aggressive, clear and was providing details about how his policies are gonna help this country. This is what I saw. Not a good showing by Obama at all, but I'm sure Romney had some practice during the Republican debates.

As an Obama supporter, that was disappointing. Never went after Mitt. Just stood there and nodded as if what Mitt was saying was the truth and never went on the attack. Never brought up the 47%, never brought up what the unemployment rate and stock market were when he took office.

It was as if his strategy was to sit there and wait for Romney to put his foot in his mouth and he never did, although most of what he said was garbage.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 05:27 AM)
As an Obama supporter, that was disappointing. Never went after Mitt. Just stood there and nodded as if what Mitt was saying was the truth and never went on the attack. Never brought up the 47%, never brought up what the unemployment rate and stock market were when he took office.

It was as if his strategy was to sit there and wait for Romney to put his foot in his mouth and he never did, although most of what he said was garbage.

Stock mkt and UE? Seriously? The Fed is the answer to the stock mkt. And the UE rate is, as has been said here before the participation rate is falling which inturn makes the UE rate fall. Iwould think Romney would relish the opportunity to smack that beach ball.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 01:35 AM)
I'm wondering if this gets close, what the media is going to do to make sure Obama wins. Are they gonna step up attacks on Romney's religion or ? The media hasn't had to attack too much yet, but after this debate beatdown do u all expect the media to go after Romney hard?

you're absolutely delusional my friend. more people watch Fox News than any other news network in the country, and they support Mitt... so.... ruh roh.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 02:04 AM)
Obama looked defensive, frustrated, unsure. Romney was aggressive, clear and was providing details about how his policies are gonna help this country. This is what I saw. Not a good showing by Obama at all, but I'm sure Romney had some practice during the Republican debates.

Romney said he'd create 12 million new jobs, give me the details on how he is going to create those jobs because I somehow missed that part...

The only thing I learned last night is that flip flop Romney is really really good at bulls***ting and that he really cares about the working poor (even though he loved firing them when he worked for Bain and he told rich supporters behind closed doors that he didn't give a f**k about them, the 47% moochers).

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 09:29 AM)
Romney said he'd create 12 million new jobs, give me the details on how he is going to create those jobs because I somehow missed that part...

The only thing I learned last night is that flip flop Romney is really really good at bulls***ting and that he really cares about the working poor (even though he loved firing them when he worked for Bain and he told rich supporters behind closed doors that he didn't give a f**k about them, the 47% moochers).

This is so full of crap, it's not even funny.

I love how you point to Romney "loving to fire poor people while at Bain", but you have no problem whatsoever with Obama appointing people like Jeffrey Immelt (CEO of GE) to his "US jobs creation council", all the while GE (under the watchful eye of Immelt) is outsourcing jobs to foreign countries for cheap labor and firing "poor people" the same exact f***ing way Bain Capital did.

Obama said he'd create 50 billion trillion new jobs, too...and did little to explain how that would happen other than "we're going to spend a bunch of money re-building roads and bridges that we seem to be re-building every f***ing year anyway".

Both of them are full of s***...it's just funny how you think only one of them is.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 09:47 AM)
Romney was definitely more charismatic, but I didn't really feel like he "won" so much as Obama didn't even show up. Romney didn't really say anything, he was just more confident about saying nothing of substance.

More like Obama's speech writer didn't show up.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 09:52 AM)
This is so full of crap, it's not even funny.

I love how you point to Romney "loving to fire poor people while at Bain", but you have no problem whatsoever with Obama appointing people like Jeffrey Immelt (CEO of GE) to his "US jobs creation council", all the while GE (under the watchful eye of Immelt) is outsourcing jobs to foreign countries for cheap labor and firing "poor people" the same exact f***ing way Bain Capital did.

Obama said he'd create 50 billion trillion new jobs, too...and did little to explain how that would happen other than "we're going to spend a bunch of money re-building roads and bridges that we seem to be re-building every f***ing year anyway".

Both of them are full of s***...it's just funny how you think only one of them is.

+1

Plus as you said in the other thread, these are debates. They NEVER get into specifics. It's all about key phrases and talking points. And Romney destroyed Obama on that. I don't want to overreact, but this provides a lot of momentum for Romney. It re-energized the campaign after a pretty bad 1-2 weeks.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 09:52 AM)
Obama said he'd create 50 billion trillion new jobs, too...

lol, then he cut down the military numbers and left me and tens of thousands of other veterans displaced and without time to get anything together. Thanks a lot! Relying on the VA has been such a smooth ride lately.

/green

QUOTE (farmteam @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 08:47 AM)
Romney was definitely more charismatic, but I didn't really feel like he "won" so much as Obama didn't even show up. Romney didn't really say anything, he was just more confident about saying nothing of substance.

I agree on that. BO was choppy and caught off guard, and honestly needs to fight back a bit more on some of the criticisms the Republicans have of him. They're arguing about the last four years in a vacuum, as if nothing that happened before Obama took office has had any effect on where we are today. Barack needs to admit some of the struggles but counter those with putting more emphasis on the reasons we are where we are and the refusal of the Republicans to allow him to try and accomplish much of anything.

Romney was definitely smooth, but as you said, smooth in saying very little of substance. Even when Lehrer put him on the spot about what he would replace Obamacare with, he simply said "those with pre-existing conditions will be covered and I will restore the $716 billion back into Medicare..." Then he immediately changed the subject back to taxes or something.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 10:27 AM)
It will be quite easy to put together commercials juxtaposing what Romney has been saying before the debate and what he said at the debate. Some extremely blatant flip flopping.

While true, I personally don't see a problem with flip-flopping...as a matter of fact, I think it's a good trait for a candidate to have, and every politician SHOULD have this trait. It shows that they can/will change their minds if they feel they're wrong, instead of staying the course ala GW Bush and many others. A lot of people have a problem with flip flopping, and I think that's a mistake, it's one of those negatives that isn't really a negative if you look at it objectivly. There is nothing wrong with changing your position/mind on something, especially in politics as different times call for different strategies/measures, and just because it doesn't suit your initial vision doesn't mean you shouldn't change it just so you aren't known as a flip-flopper.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 04:45 PM)
While true, I personally don't see a problem with flip-flopping...as a matter of fact, I think it's a good trait for a candidate to have, and every politician SHOULD have this trait. It shows that they can/will change their minds if they feel they're wrong, instead of staying the course ala GW Bush and many others.

Flip-flopping almost never refers to a candidate changing their mind because evidence or good arguments led them to a new conclusion.

It's a candidate "changing their mind" because the new position is more politically advantageous than the old one.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 11:00 AM)
Flip-flopping almost never refers to a candidate changing their mind because evidence or good arguments led them to a new conclusion.

It's a candidate "changing their mind" because the new position is more politically advantageous than the old one.

Welcome to politics...you appear to be new here since you stated the obvious. I still think it shows that they're ok with changing their minds, it's not like people aren't taking notice and these flip-flopped positions aren't well documented and mentioned in the media 500 million times a day.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 11:17 AM)
Welcome to politics...you appear to be new here since you stated the obvious. I still think it shows that they're ok with changing their minds, it's not like people aren't taking notice and these flip-flopped positions aren't well documented and mentioned in the media 500 million times a day.

What do you call it when Romney implemented Romneycare in MA, then he was against it in the primaries, then he said he would repeal all of Obamacare, then he said he wouldn't repeal all of it then he said last night he would repeal all of it? I don't know about you but I call that a bulls***ter who will tell that particular audience what it wants to hear or do you think Romney finds out something new about Obamacare that makes him change his mind back and forth?

I bet he'll say he won't repeal all of Obamacare in his next interview, SMH.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 05:17 PM)

So how is it a positive quality if you admit that it's purely for appearances and political game-playing and not a change based on substance?

I see Y2HH's point, it is a good thing to change your mind when presented with new facts, but Romney flips back and forth on the same subject.

Romney is against it today, next week he'll be for part of it, the week after he's against all of it again and by the end of that week he'll be for all of it again.

Romney has no principles, that's why he won't give us details, it'll take too long according to him as his empty suit running mate.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 10:26 AM)
lol, then he cut down the military numbers and left me and tens of thousands of other veterans displaced and without time to get anything together. Thanks a lot! Relying on the VA has been such a smooth ride lately.

/green

man... if only someone had offered to help you get back on your feet. ;)