how would YOU fix the sox attendance woes?

ewokpelts

QUOTE (champs2005 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 09:09 AM)
I hate Thunderstruck and most of the crap music they play during the game. So much of it is old and stale. And too loud as well.

I say start fresh with the in-game music and tone it down. So what if some die-hards get offended. The Sox need to make NEW fans and all these tired old crap songs from the oldies bin are not appealing to new fans.

Except for "Let's Go White Sox" by Captain Tubby of course. That is great!

I happen to hate "Let's Go White Sox" and feel energized by "Thunderstruck." Everything else sucks. And no this will not help attendance it was just my suggestions. I have never felt the music is too loud, but I do think they need more common songs. Went to Cardinals games and even though I was down south, everyone liked Chicken Fried when Matt Holliday came up to the plate. I still do not understand the hate for Thunderstruck and why we should get rid of the current intro -- it's my favorite tradition at the stadium.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
And of course in the first video you posted the stadium is half empty.

And the chicks in the second video, meh.

The bleachers were empty because there were no girls dancing there, which just reinforces my point. My Sox dancing latina plan calls for girls dancing on the centerfield concourse and that solves that problem.

And there were definitely a couple in the second vid that would be getting it good. They would bring the people and the money to the cell.

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 08:21 PM)
The bleachers were empty because there were no girls dancing there, which just reinforces my point. My Sox dancing latina plan calls for girls dancing on the centerfield concourse and that solves that problem.

And there were definitely a couple in the second vid that would be getting it good. They would bring the people and the money to the cell.

I dont think we need dancers. And that may HURT the sox attracting families to the park.

It has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but I think the Sox missed their opportunity when they had the chance to move to Addison.

Yes, some of the old-time, die-hard Southsiders would be upset and may be lost as fans. However, the Cell is cut off from the more trendy parts of the city. Yes, the South Loop is improving, but that's several miles north. (Moving there would have been a great option)

Anyways, a great majority of the old Southsiders moved their families out to the burbs. Studies have shown a vast majority of the Sox fans live outside the city limits. So by moving to Addison, where 290 and 355 meet, just north of I-88, just south of I-90, and just west of I-294, the Sox could basically own everything from the city limits out. Easy access in and out. Public transportation would have been an issue, though.

The Angels embraced being in the OC and they let the Dodgers have LA. Now Anaheim is a major market team.

It has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but I think the Sox missed their opportunity when they had the chance to move to Addison.

Yes, some of the old-time, die-hard Southsiders would be upset and may be lost as fans. However, the Cell is cut off from the more trendy parts of the city. Yes, the South Loop is improving, but that's several miles north. (Moving there would have been a great option)

Anyways, a great majority of the old Southsiders moved their families out to the burbs. Studies have shown a vast majority of the Sox fans live outside the city limits. So by moving to Addison, where 290 and 355 meet, just north of I-88, just south of I-90, and just west of I-294, the Sox could basically own everything from the city limits out. Easy access in and out. Public transportation would have been an issue, though.

The Angels embraced being in the OC and they let the Dodgers have LA. Now Anaheim is a major market team.

DuPage County = 900K people

Orange County = 3M people

Comparison fail.

QUOTE (retro1983hat @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 01:01 PM)

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
DuPage County = 900K people

Orange County = 3M people

Comparison fail.

Also, removing mass transit options pretty much entirely is an epic fail. So is taking your team away from the center of population. And the neighborhood generally they have been for over a century. And away from where most people work.

The LOS ANGELES angels of anaheim? Who were SUED by the city of anaheim because they added the LOS ANGELESto thier name?

Who also have been rumoured to leave their lease with anaheim early and possibly move into a site in LOS ANGELES proper?

Yeah they embrace thier suburban locale.

Also, 355 did not exist when they looked at addison. And if it did, I'm not sure fans would want to spend $4 to take that tollway to a game 81 times a year.

Simply put, Addison was not a good option, even if Jerry had a hard on for it.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 09:58 AM)
The Sox are thankful for their attendance problem because the narrative of the offseason is how do we get fans in the park instead of another second half collapse.

Do you have to pollute every thread with this, even when it is completely unrelated? Not to mention the idea in your post is absurd. You are saying a business is happy to make less money because it distracts from a quality argument? That is laughable.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 03:56 PM)
Do you have to pollute every thread with this, even when it is completely unrelated? Not to mention the idea in your post is absurd. You are saying a business is happy to make less money because it distracts from a quality argument? That is laughable.

I think your still starry-eyed from having Boyer chat you up.

They are going to need to get more people to the park, but keep in mind, starting in 2014, their TV money more than doubles from Fox, ESPN and Turner. They will be pulling in over $50 million a year from them. Its not entirely out of the realm of possibility the Sox have a higher payroll than most imagine in coming years.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 11:23 PM)
They are going to need to get more people to the park, but keep in mind, starting in 2014, their TV money more than doubles from Fox, ESPN and Turner. They will be pulling in over $50 million a year from them. Its not entirely out of the realm of possibility the Sox have a higher payroll than most imagine in coming years.

If every team gets increased money, it's all relative. It's not really a number that's the concern, it's more where you are at compared to everyone else.

If I am going to make the long haul to a game and the long haul back, I want the best seats in the house. Those are pricey, and that is five hours or more of my evening, so I am not going to attend many games. Im sure a lot of people are like me and would rather go to fewer games at a higher cost, than many games at a low cost.

So I'd argue that the attendance problem is that we need more fans in the city. Don't even bother marketing outside of it. Focus on people within a half hour of the park.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)
Just win. That's all it takes. Competitive doesn't work.

Exactly. I don't understand what people would consider acceptable attendance for the Sox when they finish with the 8th best record in the league given that their attendance has historically lagged results on the field. Nothing new to see here.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 28, 2012 -> 04:24 PM)
Exactly. I don't understand what people would consider acceptable attendance for the Sox when they finish with the 8th best record in the league given that their attendance has historically lagged results on the field. Nothing new to see here.

With all due respect, that narrative is purposefully narrow-minded. The team was in first place for 75% of the season. At that time no one was saying anything about the 7th best team in the AL, or whatever they were. They were talking about the first place White Sox.