2012-2013 Sox off season Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 12:39 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin

Peavy and Pierzynski finalists at their respective positions for 2012 Rawlings Gold Gloves to be announced Tuesday. No Beckham or Ramirez

:huh:

Peavy? Ehh.

AJ? Huh?

Beckham and Alexei definitely should have been the only ones in contention here. But then again, Gold Gloves are the worst award given out. I hope Jeter has enough room to add yet another undeserved award.

Is anyone else worried that the Tigers will go after Josh Hamilton in the offseason? They will already have Victor Martinez back, and from what I hear, Mike Illitch is an old bastard who is also a billionaire and is willing to do ANYTHING to win it all before he dies. You add Martinez and Hamilton to that line up, and they can afford to be atrocious defensively.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)
Is anyone else worried that the Tigers will go after Josh Hamilton in the offseason? They will already have Victor Martinez back, and from what I hear, Mike Illitch is an old bastard who is also a billionaire and is willing to do ANYTHING to win it all before he dies. You add Martinez and Hamilton to that line up, and they can afford to be atrocious defensively.

I hope they spend lots of money doing it too.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 02:21 PM)
I hope they spend lots of money doing it too.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)
Agreed, if they're willing to lock up $90MM on 5 players, I won't stop them.

Who cares if they win for the next few years and block the White Sox from getting back to the World Series?

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 02:32 PM)
Who cares if they win for the next few years and block the White Sox from getting back to the World Series?

Hamilton wouldn't be that big of an add. They already have a great offensive OF, plus a gold glover in CF. I'll get scared if they add another front line starter or some defense in the IF.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 02:42 PM)
Hamilton wouldn't be that big of an add. They already have a great offensive OF, plus a gold glover in CF. I'll get scared if they add another front line starter or some defense in the IF.

I wouldn't say they have a "great offensive OF." Plus, Hamilton would actually be a defensive improvement in a corner, he's just bad for CF. Realistically, he replaces Delmon Young's -0.7 WAR and they rotate all of their DHs through that hole to keep them all in the lineup. Swapping Hamilton for Young, Dirks, Boesch, Berry, or Garcia would actually be a pretty big deal, I think.

Now, when these guys get older, the team would be a total disaster, but for next year, they could pick up 4-5 wins by adding Hamilton.

I would love for the Tigers to go after Hamilton or more offense with $20 million a year back loaded deals and not be able to re-sign Verlander or Scherzer in a few years.

Keep trying to buy a championship. It won't work in baseball anymore...

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 03:19 PM)
Keep trying to buy a championship. It won't work in baseball anymore...

The Yanks just did it in 2009. It's not guaranteed to work, but it still works sometimes. Teams like Oakland and Tampa Bay are nice stories, but star power and talent are important too.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 01:27 PM)
The Yanks just did it in 2009. It's not guaranteed to work, but it still works sometimes. Teams like Oakland and Tampa Bay are nice stories, but star power and talent are important too.

Yeah they did it in 2009.... after 7 straight years of trying and failing... followed by 3 more years after and still no dice. Look at the Dodgers they tried this season and went in the tank almost immediately. Across the 5 the Angels bought Pujols and still didn't make the playoffs And in a smaller scale the 2012 Tigers. Who stunk for 150 games and turned it on and was able to feast on a weak AL with a combination of luck and a hot streak and got their asses handed to them with it all on the line. Their $20 million star power and talent failing on all levels.

The formula for winning is pretty established now. Great pitching and clutch timely hitting.

In the latest ESPN INSIDER David Wright's future was being discussed, I believe it was Jim Bowden, who writes he should be able to sign an extension with the Mets, however if it didn't happen, he speculates 5 trade scenarios.

Would anyone with ESPN insider access care to give us a quick summary? I'm interested if the White Sox were one of the 5 teams he mentioned.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 12:33 PM)
Does anyone think the Sox will sniff around Ichiro again? What about a guy like Grady Sizemore? Sizemore has been destroyed by injuries, but if he didn't cost anything, Id consider taking a shot.

Sizemore probably wont cost anything for anyone. Probably looking at a minor league deal wherever he wants to accept

My Sox Free Agent wishlist........

Grienke

McCarthy

Soria

Napoli

If Grienke or McCarthy are signed, Floyd gets traded for a 3B.

And I realize we have hardly any money to spend (or so we have been told), but if Hahn decides to go....wait for it...wait for it....ALL IN, then those are who I would like to see the Sox pursue.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
In the latest ESPN INSIDER David Wright's future was being discussed, I believe it was Jim Bowden, who writes he should be able to sign an extension with the Mets, however if it didn't happen, he speculates 5 trade scenarios.

Would anyone with ESPN insider access care to give us a quick summary? I'm interested if the White Sox were one of the 5 teams he mentioned.

1) Red Sox

2) Angels

3) DBacks

4) Royals

5) Rangers

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 12:52 PM)
My Sox Free Agent wishlist........

Grienke

McCarthy

Soria

Napoli

If Grienke or McCarthy are signed, Floyd gets traded for a 3B.

And I realize we have hardly any money to spend (or so we have been told), but if Hahn decides to go....wait for it...wait for it....ALL IN, then those are who I would like to see the Sox pursue.

Grienke is about the last guy you would see the Sox chase. I also don't see why they would go after BMac when they already have starting depth. Soria could be interesting if we can get an incentive laden, multi-year deal. Coming off of Tommy John, he won't be 100% this year. You have to get 2014 or longer out of him to really reap any rewards from Soria.

Why is Brett Myers still on the 40-man? I thought he's a free agent now that they declined his option.

edit: looks like they fixed it. 33 on the 40-man now.

Free Agents:

Pierzynski

Youkilis

Hudson

Lopez

Wise

Liriano

Myers

Bruney

Edited by flavum