2012-2013 Sox off season Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 11:47 AM)
it truly was hideous. They were given alternate designs, some that harkened back to the old parks and could have had homeplate facing that beautiful skyline. And then there was a pretty cool modern stadium which I'm kind of glad they passed on...

New Comiskey

Oh man, the RF home run porch would have been cool as part of the renovations.

comiskey_concept1.jpg

QUOTE (YASNY @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 11:56 AM)
The failure to incorporate the skyline is a HUGE mistake.

From-- a link that is apparently now dead:

.......The Whitesox attempted unsuccessfully to purchased the tall

brown building behind the scoreboard. It was owned by the state, and

was a senior services building. To have the ball park face the

skyline, they would've needed to demolish that building. I've read the

original plans were supposed to have the skyline behind the

scoreboard. .........

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)
Having it in the south loop would have been pretty awesome too.

Around Roosevelt and the Chicago River would have been spectacular. Open to the skyline. Could have had a party type area along the river. Red, Green, Orange line trains within walking distance. There could have been Wendella boats to take fans to and from the train stations, and it's proximitey to downtown and the people who work there make it pretty easy to think attendance would probably always be good.

Edited by Dick Allen

Just perusing that site (which is awesome) I really like what the Dodgers are gonna do with their bland ass park. It's about time they realized that their Park is in a cold MASSIVE parking lot, and maybe you could build up around it. Cause Once you get inside the park it's nice, but walking around the outside it's terrible.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 11:54 AM)
Yeah this is kind of a head scratcher for me -- he seems to have no trouble squaring the ball up. To me, his issue is purely pitch recognition. Every pitch he takes looks like he decided beforehand not to swing. I wonder if this isn't something to get him to habitually load his swing so he can make a decision to swing later.

In the Manto interview I listened to, he said Viciedo had issues with timing, that was his biggest problem.

That Addison park looked awesome. That would have been much preferred.

I always wondered how Terry Savarise was given the job of suggesting (and for all practical purposes, determining) what the new Comiskey Park would look like. Was he a relative of Einhorn or Reinsdorf? He certainly lacked the ability to develop a concept for a new baseball stadium that would result in a structure that would have lasting architectural beauty, like our famous buildings in Chicago. Savarise was dispatched to every major league stadium (nice summer for that kid) in order to glean what HE liked about each park. He must have been high when he went our to Los Angelos becuse he took back the robn's egg blue color for the stadium - something that was entirely inapproriate and cost an enormous amount to undo.

In that process, Savarise showed a complete disregard for the the original architecture of the park, the neighborhood, or the fans.

What did he take from the old park? The silly scoreboard twirly birds and the ridiculous drenching shower. The prominent and beautiful split arches which graced original Comiskey and we looked through to see our downtown skyline were simply worked into the exterior in that pinky brownish colored dryvit on the 35th street fascade. As others have said, the park was oriented to look at the ugly brown building, not the skyline. Nose bleed seats in the upper deck were and still are horrible. The overstated deep bleachers in the outfield might have worked if the stadium faced the loop, but now they are just a serious inconvenience for fans to walk back dozens of rows to get to the concessions or the washrooms.

There was no attempt to work the design into the surrounding neighborhood which would not have been that difficult (as one can see with the Armor Park plan that was submitted). There was no plan for accommodating a hotel or dealing with the adjoining housing projects.

I am now hyperventilating so I'll stop criticizing what was done by Savarise and the owners back then. It just galls me that our park was the last one before a series of beautiful retro parks were constructed for other teams.

The Sox should have purchased all of the housing between the Ryan and the Park and maybe cut back on the original budget for bricks and mortar.

Now how can that pooch be unscrewed? I'd still like to see some major renovations that will make us forget that first day at the new Comiskey where some of us dropped our jaws at how brutal the thing looked.

QUOTE (southside_hitman @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 01:42 PM)
I always wondered how Terry Savarise was given the job of suggesting (and for all practical purposes, determining) what the new Comiskey Park would look like. Was he a relative of Einhorn or Reinsdorf? He certainly lacked the ability to develop a concept for a new baseball stadium that would result in a structure that would have lasting architectural beauty, like our famous buildings in Chicago. Savarise was dispatched to every major league stadium (nice summer for that kid) in order to glean what HE liked about each park. He must have been high when he went our to Los Angelos becuse he took back the robn's egg blue color for the stadium - something that was entirely inapproriate and cost an enormous amount to undo.

In that process, Savarise showed a complete disregard for the the original architecture of the park, the neighborhood, or the fans.

What did he take from the old park? The silly scoreboard twirly birds and the ridiculous drenching shower. The prominent and beautiful split arches which graced original Comiskey and we looked through to see our downtown skyline were simply worked into the exterior in that pinky brownish colored dryvit on the 35th street fascade. As others have said, the park was oriented to look at the ugly brown building, not the skyline. Nose bleed seats in the upper deck were and still are horrible. The overstated deep bleachers in the outfield might have worked if the stadium faced the loop, but now they are just a serious inconvenience for fans to walk back dozens of rows to get to the concessions or the washrooms.

There was no attempt to work the design into the surrounding neighborhood which would not have been that difficult (as one can see with the Armor Park plan that was submitted). There was no plan for accommodating a hotel or dealing with the adjoining housing projects.

I am now hyperventilating so I'll stop criticizing what was done by Savarise and the owners back then. It just galls me that our park was the last one before a series of beautiful retro parks were constructed for other teams.

The Sox should have purchased all of the housing between the Ryan and the Park and maybe cut back on the original budget for bricks and mortar.

Now how can that pooch be unscrewed? I'd still like to see some major renovations that will make us forget that first day at the new Comiskey where some of us dropped our jaws at how brutal the thing looked.

I think it's a pretty nice place to watch a game now.

I would trade the Cell as is right now for 23 of the 29 currents ballparks in baseball.

They really just bungled the whole thing.

Got rid of the old park as decaying as it was, before Fenway/Wrigley became these altar worshiped Mecca's to baseball just because they were old. And being old was suddenly a selling point instead of a demolition point.

Build the last ballpark before the Retro takeover happened. Start renovation before the park was even a teenager, basically admitting they f***ed up. The renovations are nice, i'll admit, but it's plastic surgery on an Ugly ballpark that we're stuck with for the foreseeable future, while everyone else has these beautiful Modern Parks. It's a shame.

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
Build the last ballpark before the Retro takeover happened. Start renovation before the park was even a teenager, basically admitting they f***ed up. The renovations are nice, i'll admit, but it's plastic surgery on an Ugly ballpark that we're stuck with for the foreseeable future, while everyone else has these beautiful Modern Parks. It's a shame.

I feel like with the renovations the Cell is actually pretty awesome - that being said it doesn't have a single trademark that you'd love to see, unless Fundamentals counts!

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
I would trade the Cell as is right now for 23 of the 29 currents ballparks in baseball.

They really just bungled the whole thing.

Got rid of the old park as decaying as it was, before Fenway/Wrigley became these altar worshiped Mecca's to baseball just because they were old. And being old was suddenly a selling point instead of a demolition point. Build the last ballpark before the Retro takeover happened. Start renovation before the park was even a teenager, basically admitting they f***ed up. The renovations are nice, i'll admit, but it's plastic surgery on an Ugly ballpark that we're stuck with for the foreseeable future, while everyone else has these beautiful Modern Parks. It's a shame.

It was past the point of no return. Renovation would have been pretty intense

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 02:08 PM)
It was past the point of no return. Renovation would have been pretty intense

I have a coffee table book with pictures from 1977. The park was in horrendous shape back then. JR definitely wasn't lying when he said they threw a ton of money into the park.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 02:06 PM)
I feel like with the renovations the Cell is actually pretty awesome - that being said it doesn't have a single trademark that you'd love to see, unless Fundamentals counts!

They have the White Sox. I think some people would love to see them.

EDIt: Can't even spell the word "they" properly, which sucks

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 02:06 PM)

I also love the upper deck murals.

Discussions like this one about the ground, or the tickets thread, really make me look forward to the day that I will eventually make it to the Cell and get to attend a Sox game in person.

God knows when that day will be, but hopefully not too many years away.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 07:54 PM)
Discussions like this one about the ground, or the tickets thread, really make me look forward to the day that I will eventually make it to the Cell and get to attend a Sox game in person.

God knows when that day will be, but hopefully not too many years away.

http://www.aerlingus.com/cgi-bin/obel01im1...hooseFlight.jsp

Around 450 Euro round trip.

Been to a few parks and I think Sox park is easily a top in the top 10. There's no better lower deck in MLB. You can walk around the concourse and still catch a view of the game. The renovations to the upper deck, black roof, and getting rid of those hideous blue seats have really improved the look and feel of the park. I think Sox park looks a whole lot better than most of the recent HOK retro parks.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 8, 2013 -> 10:54 PM)
With the current renovations The Cell is wonderful. Also, I know there are a lot statues, but they add a nice touch as well.

I agree. It's now a beautiful ballpark. Still, that skyline beyond the outfield would have been wonderful.